Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Coyne @ Kassel Rod Bearing (UPDATE Miss-Installed Sprocket Tore into Oil Pan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much everyone for the sympathy and advice. I've been a member of the community since 2015 and I know that occasional stories like this pop up now and again. I always felt bad for the poster but at the same time figured they were rare enough to not happen to me as long as I went with reputable and recommended mechanics. This has been a learning experience.

Since Wednesday when I replied to Matt that I was not comfortable with his suggestion to just replace the bearings and oil pump, I have not heard from him. To be fair, it is the holidays. Tomorrow, once back to work, I'll be reaching out again to Matt and will update here. I can't see how I will have any sense of comfort or confidence in his workmanship unless he
    1) Tares down, hot baths, inspects, (polishes/hones if necessary), and cleans, the entire engine from top to bottom.
    2) Takes detailed pictures of each part after the hot bath/clean to show it is free from any defects.
    3) Offers a significant warranty on the rebuilt engine, including the payments for periodic oil tests to confirm the engine is operating correctly

That's the plan.

If anyone knows Matt personally or professionally, I could really use your input. Please PM me.

I am also considering handing off the engine rebuild to his business partner at Kassel Performance to complete. But, I'm not sure if I'm better off keeping the ownership of the issue under the same person who caused it.
    2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
    2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2424 View Post
      do it yourself
      Well using that logical, I guess curing COVID-19, Cancer, and HIV while solving the world’s hunger, poverty, and any other issue should be done by oneself.

Wonder why no one thought about that before now and why these problems still exist.

Comment

To be a devils advocate... I just wonder how much of this is just Matt's inexperience in dealing with crisis management. Its much easier to be perfect when youre running a one man operation. But whole different story when youve got technicians working under you and a company to run. I would dare say this is the first time hes dealing with a mistake in his work as big as this. Add in some other variables like recently opening a company and covid etc and youve got a good recipe for bad decisions. Im not saying he's not f**king up royally right now and responsible, but i also know that his talent was quite valuable to the community for years and worth a redemption. Im just hoping he makes the right decisions as things are still playing out as we speak. Cuz lets face it, we as a community need to retain good shops and talented maintainers

Comment

yhp2009 i agree but to a certain extent. I’ve seen a lot of “good shops and talented maintainers” go to complete shit. Some of these guys will come out and develop a good rep and then it gets to their head.

For example, a local tuner here in NY made his appearance in the BMW scene a few years ago and his business grew exponentially. The locals as well as Instagram fed his ego to the point where he now lacks professionalism and has become totally cocky. He will only tune your car the right way if you’re well known in the community or have a certain amount of followers on Instagram.

Comment

yhp2009 I agree. People make mistakes all the time. However, I think it’s pretty bad that you have an element of intent to deceive, or at least a gross omission of a fact that OP would definitely want to know. You don’t have to be versed in crisis management to be forthright when you make a mistake. I’m not blaming the guy or anything like that, you are probably correct in that he is freaking out and fears shelling out for labor/parts etc. To that extent I feel terrible for the guy, but, I would venture to guess that like 99/100 shops, he carries professional liability insurance for events exactly like this.
            DropTopKingM3 —That is ....probably the lamest thing I’ve heard in a good long time. Is it based upon how many followers your car has, or how many followers you personally have haha? Regardless, sounds like a person that would be painful to hang out with.
            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Fresh1179 I go by strictly hearsay. Whenever this tuners name gets mentioned I always here the same opinion. If different groups of people who have no affiliation with each other are saying it then it’s got to have some meaning behind it. A lot of people say “he’ll tune your car right if he likes you or if you’re well known”. I’ve come across a few people like this in person and their attitude is completely standoffish! But I’m sure it’s just a NY thing.

Comment

Interesting, I didnt know there was insurance for this kind of mistakes for shops. But definitely Matt should have told OP asap about the first mishap.
                Also, not likely , but i wonder when exactly Matt found out about the f**k up. I dont know how his shop is run, but if a shady tech can sweep stuff like this under a rug and "correct" the mistake on his own, then it would only come to light after stuff like this happens. Some questions there imo
                Last edited by yhp2009; 11-29-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I’ve dealt with Matt dating back when he wrenched cars in his back yard, then his shop at Total ///M car and now with Kassel. He’s worked on my m3, my e61 and wife’s Toyota. If i had an issue, I either addressed it via phone or in person. I can see how an in person chat may be problematic given the OP’s location may not be near York. Don’t get me wrong: This sounds like a big deal, and it is a big deal but it sounds like he’s attempting to fix the mistake regardless of OP’s or other commentary that likely never had to deal with him directly. OP - if you have an issue, you should considering talking to him directly, I frankly do not see how this thread fixes anything for you unless your goal is hurt a small business via hurtful commentary.
                  Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
                    To be a devils advocate... I just wonder how much of this is just Matt's inexperience in dealing with crisis management. Its much easier to be perfect when youre running a one man operation. But whole different story when youve got technicians working under you and a company to run. I would dare say this is the first time hes dealing with a mistake in his work as big as this. Add in some other variables like recently opening a company and covid etc and youve got a good recipe for bad decisions. Im not saying he's not f**king up royally right now and responsible, but i also know that his talent was quite valuable to the community for years and worth a redemption. Im just hoping he makes the right decisions as things are still playing out as we speak. Cuz lets face it, we as a community need to retain good shops and talented maintainers
                    I wouldn't say its an experience thing at all (unless Matt is an 18 year old kid), what's right is right and there really isn't any mystery here. He may not have known about it himself though if he has techs doing the work and they kept it from him, in which case I can't hold that part against him. But if he did know and still kept quiet then bad on him. Curious to see what the resolution is. At the end of the day a full rebuild won't cost much to the shop in the long run over ruining their reputation so I don't see what the holdup is.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                      I frankly do not see how this thread fixes anything for you unless your goal is hurt a small business via hurtful commentary.
                      You should re-read the timeline in the original post. This has been going on since the end of September, and the OP wasn't getting anywhere with Matt until he started this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                        I’ve dealt with Matt dating back when he wrenched cars in his back yard, then his shop at Total ///M car and now with Kassel. He’s worked on my m3, my e61 and wife’s Toyota. If i had an issue, I either addressed it via phone or in person. I can see how an in person chat may be problematic given the OP’s location may not be near York. Don’t get me wrong: This sounds like a big deal, and it is a big deal but it sounds like he’s attempting to fix the mistake regardless of OP’s or other commentary that likely never had to deal with him directly. OP - if you have an issue, you should considering talking to him directly, I frankly do not see how this thread fixes anything for you unless your goal is hurt a small business via hurtful commentary.
                        I see what you are saying, but i personally think these kinds of posts are important. Unless of course OP posts this thread after a day of waiting. From what I read from his comment, he waited a sufficient amount of time before taking it to the forums. At this point i think its only important how Matt responds. My 2c

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

You should re-read the timeline in the original post. This has been going on since the end of September, and the OP wasn't getting anywhere with Matt until he started this thread.
                          Fair enough. Good luck OP. Keep us posted.

My car is there now as well.
                          Last edited by 02_lsb; 11-29-2020, 01:53 PM.
                          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

I wouldn't say its an experience thing at all (unless Matt is an 18 year old kid),
                            I feel like ive seen many well intentioned people make childish management decisions when given a highly complex situation. Given the history he has with the community i just think we should give him a shot to redeem since its still ongoing. But again he's definitely dug himself a hole here

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Well using that logical, I guess curing COVID-19, Cancer, and HIV while solving the world’s hunger, poverty, and any other issue should be done by oneself.

Wonder why no one thought about that before now and why these problems still exist.
                              Bit of a stretch!

Where is your problem?

Comment

I've only read the OP and nothing else, plus I have zero experience with whom the OP refers to, however, if metal pieces were found in the oil, that means said metal pieces have travelled through every oil-coated surface in the engine, no?

In that case, wouldn't the best option be to completely dismantle the motor, methodically clean every single component, replace whatever is broken or worn and re-assemble?

I spun a bearing a while back and scored the crank. The ONLY option IMHO was to tear down the motor, have everything hot-tubbed & cleaned, and machine work done to whatever was necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with what is being suggested. If metal flake was in there, I'd want the motor torn down, cleaned and reassembled.
                                Last edited by Syfon; 11-30-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X