Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Coyne @ Kassel Rod Bearing (UPDATE Miss-Installed Sprocket Tore into Oil Pan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, really sucks, sorry you have to deal with this around holidays.

That said, the first thing that oil hits after being picked up by the sump/pump is the oil filter before being sent to all the other galleys and parts. If the oil level was not overfilled to where crank would be bathing in it at bdc, the other parts should be fine. "Scoring" on the shells in picture looks like wear to me.

One of few times I might run Blackstone. If the filter was doing its job, oil in the pan should not have high al content.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
      This is an unfortunate and expensive mistake for all involved.
      Trying to cheap out to minimise shop loss does not imply appology .
      The engine needs to be disassembled the oil galleys cleaned out with brushes. Then the short block, cylinder head and crank should be hot tanked.
      Agree with this 100%. Just replacing bearings and oil pump and cleaning the pan is not sufficient. I would be requiring them to have the engine completely disassembled, hot tanked, cleaned, new rings, block honed, crank hot tanked and polished, vanos rebuilt etc. Head needs to be disassembled and carefully inspected. I've seen the tops of the cam lobes on these motors be worn from just excess bearing material making its way through the oil. This situation is a real bummer but not yours to bare. The shop is completely at fault and I would be requiring them to adequately correct their mistake.

Comment

I would not be comfortable with the proposed repair. Maybe I'd go this route if I screwed up the job trying to DIY it, but I wouldn't accept it as a resolution if I paid a professional to do the job from the start.
        '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
        '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
        '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
        '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

How is it not obvious the oil sprocket was on wrong? Not sure if it is possible since I cant recall what it looks like in there but I feel like that would put excessive strain on the chain if it was run like that (since if memory serves me correct it would be sitting 1/4"to 1/2" out of parallel with the cam sprockets) which may have also scraped on the timing chain cover or else where and sent metal other places. Just something else to consider.
          I also don't see how metal would get past the filter and cause scoring tbh unless maybe there is a bypass valve in there. And, if the rod bearings are scored from metal, the main bearings are too.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
            How is it not obvious the oil sprocket was on wrong? Not sure if it is possible since I cant recall what it looks like in there but I feel like that would put excessive strain on the chain if it was run like that
            The wrong side of the sprocket would offset forward about 1/8" or less -- see how deep the cut on the oil pan. So with with small offset the chain still ran OK but noisy and this helped them to detect the error and flipped the sprocket back.

Comment

Man for what its worth im sorry you have to go thru this. Hope you find a worthy resolution soon

Comment

Pull the head and vanos inspect and clean at same time as bearings that will be enough

Comment

The fact that this asshole knew about the issue originally, hoped you would go away, and then reluctantly and indifferently explains next steps solidifies that he ain't worth supporting anytime in the future. You're best bet is probably to let him resolve it without further cost to you, further disruption, getting another party involved, and the impossible battle to claw anything back. But then he can fck right off and create an opportunity for someone else to distinguish themselves.
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Sorry to hear it but thanks for posting. You may have saved someone a similar fate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you might be fine with the bearings and a vanos clean out as well as removing all the oil still in the oil cooler. Then do a few oil changes within 1500miles. But the fact that he knew about it and didn’t try to fix things in the beginning and let you drive 3k is irresponsible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Matt/Kessel should have never even argued with you about anything. Honestly, they should have just offered to do anything, including new engine if needed, for a screw up like this. Nothing, and I repeat - nothing - damages your reputation for hundreds of potential customers as a thread like this. Despite many, many positive experiences, one dud like this will cost you way more than a few thousand $$ you would pay to never have this testimonial come up on a board like this.
                        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                          The fact that this asshole knew about the issue originally, hoped you would go away, and then reluctantly and indifferently explains next steps solidifies that he ain't worth supporting anytime in the future. You're best bet is probably to let him resolve it without further cost to you, further disruption, getting another party involved, and the impossible battle to claw anything back. But then he can fck right off and create an opportunity for someone else to distinguish themselves.
                          So much this ^
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I wouldn’t have it repaired there. They cut corners and hid issues from you once. I wouldn’t have faith that they would suddenly do it by the book on a job they are not getting paid on.

Really sorry to hear, OP.

Comment

Great another e46 m3 shop no longer reliable. WTF why is it so hard to find a shop that can reliably work on these cars without any bullshit.

Comment

do it yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X