Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Introduction

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to do a quick introduction to this forum as I was a frequent visitor of the original M3Forum. While I am truly upset that we lost so much content from the previous forum, it looks like this site is on track to become a staple in the future and I cannot thank the creators enough for it.

I've owned my E46 M3 for about 6 years. 2002 Manual Jet Black/Dove Grey Slick Top. My first car was a Topaz Blue E46 330ci when I was 18 years old and after I was rear-ended on the freeway for a total loss, I spent the extra money to grab my current M3. I absolutely love everything about the E46 M3 from the sleek to the driving experience.

I've been a little lost recently regarding my future with this car because the maintenance that is needed is quite overwhelming as you are all aware of. Over the years, I have maintained the car with no major issues with the help of my father as he owned a mechanic shop that has since closed. Recently though, I have become aware of all of the components of the car that need to be refreshed such as the suspension refresh, subframe reinforcement, new clutch etc. Money has been tight as I have been helping out my family with the bills over the past few years. I love this car and I want to keep it forever, but the costs are getting very difficult. I've daily driven it over the years and am seriously considering just garaging this puppy and buying a beater to get around with until I have a more stable income and a home where I can learn how to work on the car on my own when I have free time.

Just want to thank you all in the community for your efforts and shared knowledge that is necessary to own a car like this. While I don't have enough knowledge or experience to help any of you experts out on your posts, I am definitely looking forward to starting fresh with this forum and learning all the information I need to work on my car as a hobby the way so many of you do it,

Pictures aren't the greatest, but they will suffice for now.

Welcome to the NAm3forum Erick! I can understand how maintenance can add up over time, and I think it’s a great decision to buy a beater. In my opinion, everyone who owns an m3 needs a different daily. If you daily an e46 m3 about 15,000 miles per year, the cost of ownership will add up FAST. Not only that, but using it as a daily can make really make things wear out faster, especially the paint. The miles will also go up too fast. Miles on an m3 should be added up by having fun in the backroads, not sitting on a highway in cruise control. It hurts me to drive an m3 to work just to leave it out in the elements all day.

Give it some time and slowly start working on the m3, you can get it back driving great again. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome. It seems like you really love the car, as most of us on here do. If it is possible for you to keep it and buy a beater, I think that is a great idea. From reading on this forum and going on bimmerpost, it seems like a lot of us just love the E46 M3. A lot of them regret getting rid of it and find themselves looking for another one. Like I said though, if it's possible. I will never pick a car over priorities.

Good luck!

Comment

This car is becoming a classic and you’ll unlikely be able to buy another down the road. Save the miles for a beater, and you’ll be able to enjoy this car for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate the replies guys. Agreed, the car is definitely becoming a classic and it’s only going to get more difficult to find a clean example in the future. I grew up with this thing so I feel it’ll have a certain sweetness in the future when I get it where I want it to be. I’ve always taken advice from the members here about not modifying anything cosmetically/mechanically until maintenance is up to date. The only modification I have done is the SS section 3 because of that 50% off ECS discount on Black Friday a few years ago 😂

Next step is the suspension refresh and subframe with some new MPS 4S as my MPSS tires are getting worn. Trying to decide on what to be on the lookout for when it comes to a beater. Possibly an E36 non M? We’ll see as we go. I did lease my mom a new accord which is an excellent car for the price. She doesn’t put much miles on it so I do find myself driving it a ton on the weekends when I’m with my lady, although she loves the E46.

What’s everyone else’s wife/gf/fiancés opinion on your M3? Do they love it as much as mine does? Haha

Comment

Hmm I guess my wife likes it because she knows it makes me happy. It’s a car I’ve wanted since I was 13 and I am 31 now. But I wouldn’t say she LOVES it lol. She doesn’t really care about cars so that doesn’t help. She’s not thrilled of the idea that I want to add a e9x or f80 m3 to the stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post
              Welcome to the NAm3forum Erick! I can understand how maintenance can add up over time, and I think it’s a great decision to buy a beater. In my opinion, everyone who owns an m3 needs a different daily. If you daily an e46 m3 about 15,000 miles per year, the cost of ownership will add up FAST. Not only that, but using it as a daily can make really make things wear out faster, especially the paint. The miles will also go up too fast. Miles on an m3 should be added up by having fun in the backroads, not sitting on a highway in cruise control. It hurts me to drive an m3 to work just to leave it out in the elements all day.

Give it some time and slowly start working on the m3, you can get it back driving great again. Good luck!
              I see quite a few M3 guys saying that but I just know that once I get one I'll want to drive it anywhere and everywhere-- mileage be damned. I will say that I own a beater truck that just had a few hundred dumped into it, I can use that for the rainy and snowy days.
              2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post

I see quite a few M3 guys saying that but I just know that once I get one I'll want to drive it anywhere and everywhere-- mileage be damned. I will say that I own a beater truck that just had a few hundred dumped into it, I can use that for the rainy and snowy days.
                Get ready to be glad you only spent a few hundred for fixes when you get your M3 (kidding... mostly).
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                X