Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Blackstone thread (High copper, low lead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Blackstone thread (High copper, low lead)

I’m going to do an analysis on every oil change going forward, but I’m guessing i should prepare for a rod bearing change in the not so distant future, or too early to tell without more data?

Year, mileage and driving style/habits?

maw

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
      I’m going to do an analysis on every oil change going forward, but I’m guessing i should prepare for a rod bearing change in the not so distant future, or too early to tell without more data?
      Welcome to the club. At 23 copper and low lead, it likely means that you've worn through most of the lead that you're going to wear, and going deep into copper now. Some would say the copper is high enough you should even stop driving the car until you get the rod bearings changed. At 110k, you're certainly due.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
        Year, mileage and driving style/habits?

maw
        2005, 110k, no track use just one auto cross event about 4yrs ago. Mostly city/minimal spirited driving

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSJ1 View Post

Welcome to the club. At 23 copper and low lead, it likely means that you've worn through most of the lead that you're going to wear, and going deep into copper now. Some would say the copper is high enough you should even stop driving the car until you get the rod bearings changed. At 110k, you're certainly due.
          I thought it was copper then into lead?

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post

I thought it was copper then into lead?
            It's the other way around. If you look at pics of worn bearings you can see the lead wearing away and the copper showing underneath.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Listen to James. The whole 100k mile thing is just a guideline. If copper was low, keep going. Mine went to 140k and weren't completely done. All depends.

Do you have older UOAs that would show a trend off increasing copper ppm?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Listen to James. The whole 100k mile thing is just a guideline. If copper was low, keep going. Mine went to 140k and weren't completely done. All depends.

Do you have older UOAs that would show a trend off increasing copper ppm?
                unfortunately this was my first analysis. I’m gonna get it done again next oil change just to see for sure then def prep for rod bearing replacement soon

Comment

With that mileage and high copper counts, I think its definitely time to swap them out. And yep like others have said its a very thin layer of lead first; once that has worn through, it starts eating away at the copper.

Comment

Time to replace them and have a peace of mind. Is it like having a new roof on the house: wait until it leaks at the wrong time, or do it now and enjoy the new roof instead of 2 years later.

Comment

With that much copper, I wouldn't wait for another sample-- I'd do them now.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Good thing is the car is parked for the winter. I’ll address it in the spring. Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

With that much copper on the report, I’d park the car until bearings are done
                          E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Just change them. Peace of mind knowing you can belt her around without fear of bearing spinning and scoring your crank.

Comment

its def gonna get done in the spring when it comes out of hibernation

Comment

Working...
                              X