SMG vs SMG/6mt conversion value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
    People can rebuild an SMG pump (I did), replace the motor, and accumulator for far far less than a swap. Clutch slave is super simple and cheap. Actuator and compression springs start getting a little hairy if not DIY.
    100%, saving a SMG is often not as expensive as people portray it online. The system is not easily diagnosed based on "codes" and thus most people shotgun a hydraulic unit in it which gives it a bad stigma. We've fixed a half dozen or so in the last 2yrs and every fix was far cheaper than a conversion. One conversion came to us because it was misdiagnosed elsewhere as needing a hydraulic unit. When we got it, we discovered it needed a slave cylinder only, but the customer had already committed to himself on the swap so we continued on as originally planned.
    '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

This is the thing though, most people don't make a replica of a 6MT, they just remove the "failure" prone SMG parts and replace with manual components.

Very few people are installing the correct MT engine wiring harness, removing the SMG gear indicator in the cluster, removing the SMG wiring under the console, removing the hood switches, swapping the plenum for a MT box, installing a MT steering wheel, detent removed from throttle pedal, etc. Plus how was the wiring done, is it correct, is the gear position sensor installed, is it routed correctly, etc?

That's right I drove converted manual . Driving quality was ok but I don't like gear indicator in the cluster and color of gauges - more yellow than orange . Little things but I didn't like it .

Comment

This is the thing though, most people don't make a replica of a 6MT, they just remove the "failure" prone SMG parts and replace with manual components.

Very few people are installing the correct MT engine wiring harness, removing the SMG gear indicator in the cluster, removing the SMG wiring under the console, removing the hood switches, swapping the plenum for a MT box, installing a MT steering wheel, detent removed from throttle pedal, etc. Plus how was the wiring done, is it correct, is the gear position sensor installed, is it routed correctly, etc?

The value of a 6 speed was never in the harness, cluster or steering wheel. If it was I guess I’m missing the point of the clutch pedal and all this added control and feels people speak of , not to mention none of those are hard to change or do correctly,

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
          The value of a 6 speed was never in the harness, cluster or steering wheel. If it was I guess I’m missing the point of the clutch pedal and all this added control and feels people speak of , not to mention none of those are hard to change or do correctly,
          My point was that if you were buying one which would you prefer and how much of a dollar difference would you put on it because to me it's not a simple as whether it has 3 pedals or 2 pedals to change the value.
          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

My point was that if you were buying one which would you prefer and how much of a dollar difference would you put on it because to me it's not a simple as whether it has 3 pedals or 2 pedals to change the value.
            That’s true, a little harness or air box may be worth a couple hundred but that wasn’t the really what the thread was asking, it was assuming a complete swap I guess.

Comment

the answers to this question are personal opinions. when it comes to "collector" insurance, best is to get a proper appraisal and that $ will be covered 100%. The increase in value will definitely surpass double the cost of the swap, not to mention the attraction of the car to potential buyers in the future or just pleasure. When it comes to "market" value, its all pending on demand. Given equal asking price, I'd choose a 60k SMG vs 100k MT. This will show inside and outside of the car.

Im in the same boat as you OP, just in the process of getting the parts slowly, Im basically choosing if i should replace the clutch or not. Its only at 65k right now... then you have the center carrier and guibo disk, rear main seal etc... list goes on lol. From what I have read, everything else is simple. There is only 4 wires that you really need to connect properly and the car should run as factory intended. Have the ecu flashed and use the cluster blind from a non smg car to have the cluster look identical to MT. Having some wires left over tucked underneath should not decrease the value of the car. Technically, if you keep all original parts, You're offering an EXTRA option in case someone would like to go back to smg.

Given whats happening with these cars, long term will always pay off and just keep the car for ever. Just like air cooled 911s, these will be gold in the future no matter if its beat up or not, as long as it has the 6MT.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                the answers to this question are personal opinions. when it comes to "collector" insurance, best is to get a proper appraisal and that $ will be covered 100%. The increase in value will definitely surpass double the cost of the swap, not to mention the attraction of the car to potential buyers in the future or just pleasure.
                Isn't this literally just another personal opinion? 😂
                2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post

Isn't this literally just another personal opinion? 😂
                  in essence it is, but taking into account the natural price difference between the two and the preference of the drivers out there, logic says MT will always be a quicker and better sale

Comment

100%, saving a SMG is often not as expensive as people portray it online. The system is not easily diagnosed based on "codes" and thus most people shotgun a hydraulic unit in it which gives it a bad stigma. We've fixed a half dozen or so in the last 2yrs and every fix was far cheaper than a conversion. One conversion came to us because it was misdiagnosed elsewhere as needing a hydraulic unit. When we got it, we discovered it needed a slave cylinder only, but the customer had already committed to himself on the swap so we continued on as originally planned.
                    Ehh, that’s assuming a single failure. GPS is 400, motor is 500, accumulator is 700 plus install on all those (and they will all fail in time). Add in springs and downtime and it is not worth it. If you have a good working smg the offset in price of selling those parts will cover half the cost of the swap for less downtime. My springs just went out and I’ll probably swap it since I know the rest of the system parts will fail at some point too. Plus I can ask 30k or 40k more for it when I’m done...

Comment

Working...
                    X