Wheel stud rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel stud rust

Just wondering if it’s normal to have new extended wheel studs rust within a few weeks of installation. My car has been mostly sitting in the driveway....hasn’t seen snow/salt since installation and they look like the picture below. Any ideas?

Where are you at, seems you are in a very humid place.

Comment

Whoa that's a lot of rust for a few weeks (or for any length of time really). Definitely not normal. I'd replace those with the stock bolts right away. What brand are the studs?
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Look at the rust on the brake hardware inside the wheel. I don't think this is anything other than OP parks his car on the beach?
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

My Turners would get surface rust pretty easily. Yours look like they could be the turner bullet nose? Mine never had that bright rust over the whole stud like yours. Visually seemed like a good amount less surface rust the yours. Comes off as soon as you undo the nut. But still look like crap so likely will not be using turners next time.
          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

What is this car exposed to? Your caliper bolts and rotors are corroded too.

Comment

I had turner studs with the hex key head. They would develop rust inside the hex head, since water would just sit there. But with bullet nose like that its not normal IMO.

Comment

The studs are from Bimmerworld. Not sure if it’s a bad batch or what. For what it’s worth I’m in NY (Long Island), about 3 miles from the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post
                  The studs are from Bimmerworld. Not sure if it’s a bad batch or what. For what it’s worth I’m in NY (Long Island), about 3 miles from the beach.
                  It seems you let the car wet, dry. coast, humid, plus salt from the sea is perfect to rust anything, even aluminum wont take long before it rusts

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post
                    Using that one photo as an indicator of multiple components corroding - you should get that car up on a lift and see what else is corroding. Those components aren't the exception.

Comment

Yeah, I’ll be doing that soon. Also moving and will finally have space for the ///M in my garage next month. Just surprised at how quickly the wheel studs got that bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X