Open ITBs "Velocity Stack " and the PCV system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open ITBs "Velocity Stack " and the PCV system

While I've been designing a CSL style airbox in my spare time I designed I'd try the Velocity stack / open ITB setup. I designed a clamp in Fusion360 that holds two trumpets together (so you need three total) so all the factory trumpets can use all the stock mounting hardware.

Stock thumpets out of the stock airbox - same as the CSL turmpets.

Painted

My clamp design

Stock boot on the left

Test fit

Also designed a PCV catch can to route brake booster and valve cover vent, it connects on the bottom to the stock oil return

Literally, the only thing that cost any money was the ITG filters ($22/each)

The PCV can was my first beta print, I was going to reprint one in black or paint it black - I just had a bunch of white filament.

All hooked up.

For tuning, I'm running MSS54HP non-h-bridge DME using a stock CSL tune with a CSL MAP & IAT sensors. Runs great, sounds amazing. I've designed a plate to go under them to help direct airflow into the trumpets, but I haven't put it on since I'm not sure if I want to keep this setup or not.

But it's the PCV system, running an open PCV sucks - just sticks. The stock system dumps back into the airbox so you don't smell anything, but running open velocity stacks there really isn't a good place pipe that back into the intake. I've thought about running hose into the exhaust using a venturi valve, or perhaps routing it through an oil separator/oil catch can and then into the IACV...but I'm not sure I want to route it directly into the IAVC - sounds like a great way to gump up the IACV. What do other people do? Thoughts?

Probably my best option is to use a CSL style airbox...so that's why BMW made that eh.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Route the vent away into wheel arch or down under the car behind head light

Comment

Looks great, Iove to see people designing (and printing) their own ideas! Curious what kind of filament you printed with?

Comment

This is awesome. Interested to see how those parts hold up.
        2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Love to see experimentation even if it is for no one other than yourself.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Very cool.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Probably my best option is to use a CSL style airbox...so that's why BMW made that eh.
              The thing is, a CSL airbox is the optimized version of running open stacks in a modern car. Old machines didn't have to worry about consuming the fuel vapor venting from the tank, they just vented it to atmosphere. The only thing you are gaining by running open stacks is additional noise and a subjective aesthetic change. I do happen to think it looks cool though.

2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

This looks so sweet. I really wonder how it'll do in the longer term - please continue to post as time goes on to show the progress? Perhaps this could be a beta for a kit that you could potentially provide for the community if enough people have interest. Any sound clip / video would be awesome as well 😃
                - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

that's pretty cool. What printer and filament did you use?

Comment

Great to see American ingenuity at work.
                    well done !!
                    2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by TwoD View Post
                      Looks great, Iove to see people designing (and printing) their own ideas! Curious what kind of filament you printed with?
                      I printed it in PETG which has a better heat tolerance than PLA. ABS would even be better to use but printing it stinks up my office. I've put maybe 100 miles on it and they seem to hold up just fine, they get warm to the touch but never so hot you burn yourself. There is cool air (hopefully) going through and nothing is touching the cyl head directly.

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
                      This looks so sweet. I really wonder how it'll do in the longer term - please continue to post as time goes on to show the progress? Perhaps this could be a beta for a kit that you could potentially provide for the community if enough people have interest. Any sound clip / video would be awesome as well 😃
                      Sure, I'll keep you posted. I have a few sound clips here. I have a stock exhaust so the car is basically stock quiet until over 3000rpms and than you

Windows up, my daughter filming - it's a bit definitely louder in real life, especially with the windows down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHg_Iby-Ezk

If anybody else wants to try, the shopping list is pretty simple. This is really the same as the PSDesign kit - they use factory ITBs too although they say otherwise...

1) You can use my trumpet clamp design if you'd like, it's made for pre 10/2004 style trumpets. Basically, unscrew the endcap off the trumpets and either cut or push them out. My clamp uses the pre 10/2004 style throttle body boots BMW part number 11612466477. I reused all the factory clamps as well. You'll want to print it in ABS or PETG as it has better heat resistance, I used PETG. You'll need to print them with supports. There is a flat part of the clamp in the middle, that side you'll want to print facing down towards the build plate. You can grab the STL and print/modify it yourself off my website here: https://liam821.com/liam821-e46-m3-trumpet-clamp.stl

2) pull your stock trumpets out of an airbox - I bought a spare online for $40. The pre 10/2004 are where it's at.

3) Get some filters, while rolling without might look cool sucking in small children and breaking your engine isn't. I used ITG JCS-11 filters, you can get them here https://itgfilters.net/products/itg-...iant=787101643

4) You'll need to run alpha-n or do a CSL conversion as I did, so external IAT sensor and/or CSL MAP sensor depending on if you're alpha-n or not.

5) You'll probably want to make a plate that goes under the trumpets and helps direct air. This is the template I used from somebody over on m3cutters - thank you - I used a thin piece of aluminum I bought at Home Depot. You can wrap it with vinyl or spray paint it.

You'll probably want to do some air ducting to duct cold air towards the trumpets.

6) PCV system. You'll need to route your valve cover vent hose into a catch can, and then do something with it. I used the stock airbox oil drain on my catch can so I would never have to empty mine. I also routed the brake booster air shutoff valve into the same place. You don't want to vent into the engine bay, especially close to the air cabin intake, it stinks, ask me how I know.

That's literally it. Cost me about $175 all in including the CSL conversion pieces, the most expensive part was the ITG filters. I could have probably found a cheaper filter, but let's face it, the ITG filters look sick.

Here are a few more pictures:

You can see the trumpets are held in place using the factory pin (right trumpet, just under my index finger to the right)

You can use a CSL style oil dipstick or bend the stock one to move it out of the way. I'm not sure what I want to do yet so I left it as-is.

Comment

1) You can use my trumpet clamp design if you'd like, it's made for pre 10/2004 style trumpets. Basically, unscrew the endcap off the trumpets and either cut or push them out. My clamp uses the pre 10/2004 style throttle body boots BMW part number 11612466477. I reused all the factory clamps as well. You'll want to print it in ABS or PETG as it has better heat resistance, I used PETG. You'll need to print them with supports. There is a flat part of the clamp in the middle, that side you'll want to print facing down towards the build plate. You can grab the STL and print/modify it yourself off my website here: https://liam821.com/liam821-e46-m3-trumpet-clamp.stl
                        I should add...It takes about 37 hours to print three clamps. If anybody is interested and don't have access to a 3d printer, hit me up, for a small fee I can print a set and mail them.

Comment

liam821 Hello. New to this forum and just had a question on the CSL conversion as I'd like to do this to my M3. Is tuning required as well or is an external IAT relocation all that is required?
                          Last edited by MHoffmannM3; 02-12-2024, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MHoffmannM3 View Post
                            liam821 Hello. New to this forum and just had a question on the CSL conversion as I'd like to do this to my M3. Is tuning required as well or is an external IAT relocation all that is required?
                            Depends on a few things. You need to do something if you're going to change to a "CSL" style or open "velocity stack" style intake. The change is required because you're removing the MAF from the intake. The IAT is part of the MAF, so if you're removing the MAF you need to do something so the car knows the air temperature.

You have three options to keep the stock DME:

a) Keep the MAF and use an intake that is compatible (so no CSL intake or ITB velocity stacks)
                            b) Run the DME in alpha-n with a IAT. Alpha-n uses a set fueling table based on throttle position and N for RPM. It's basically like a tuned "safe-mode" without the check engine light. This just requires an IAT.
                            c) Run the DME in map mode (like an e46m3 csl). This uses a MAP sensor, throttle position, and IAT to calibrate fuel requirements. This requires an MSS54HP ecu, map sensor, and IAT.

So is tuning required? Meh depends. But I would lean toward yes if you go to a CSL-style intake or velocity stacks.

Comment

Depends on a few things. You need to do something if you're going to change to a "CSL" style or open "velocity stack" style intake. The change is required because you're removing the MAF from the intake. The IAT is part of the MAF, so if you're removing the MAF you need to do something so the car knows the air temperature.

You have three options to keep the stock DME:

a) Keep the MAF and use an intake that is compatible (so no CSL intake or ITB velocity stacks)
                              b) Run the DME in alpha-n with a IAT. Alpha-n uses a set fueling table based on throttle position and N for RPM. It's basically like a tuned "safe-mode" without the check engine light. This just requires an IAT.
                              c) Run the DME in map mode (like an e46m3 csl). This uses a MAP sensor, throttle position, and IAT to calibrate fuel requirements. This requires an MSS54HP ecu, map sensor, and IAT.

So is tuning required? Meh depends. But I would lean toward yes if you go to a CSL-style intake or velocity stacks.
                              liam821 Thankyou for the help! I'm in the middle of manual swapping my M3 so I'd like to do the velocity stack conversion while everything is already apart. So just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I could install the velocity stacks and run in Alpha-N with external IAT without damaging the car? Just to get it up and running in the meantime before I get a tune in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X