Square Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Square Setup

Are you square? Do you wish you were square? Do you have two sets of wheels and tires in order to have the best of both worlds? Did your wife leave you because you refused to go square?

(Pictured: Not my car)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E74FB8D8-23D8-49B9-BDC5-BED690A0B799.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	262.2 KB ID:	73617
    Its hip to be square
    75.56%
    Mick Stagger
    17.78%
    I’m richer than Jeff Bezos and have a set of both
    6.67%
    Last edited by beefaroni; 07-01-2021, 05:45 PM.

Square for the track, staggered for the street.

I don't find rotating very useful on my street setup because the tires wear evenly across the tread and the rears wear out at pretty much exactly twice the rate of the fronts-- so I just replace the rears twice as often, and no net cost is incurred. If anything, running a square (and wide) setup requires additional front camber, which would end up making the inside of the fronts wear out faster, which would probably increase my rate of net wear.

The decreased steering feel and increased tram lining from a square setup annoys me on the street. On the track, I don't really notice either-- and the extra camber creates even wear.

So, yeah... different setups for different purposes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I run a square setup and love it. You do give up some steering feel, but I like the extra engagement required to correct tram-lining and the turn-in is fantastic. I also like how the car looks because I take advantage of the factory wide body. Idk if I would feel the same on a daily driver, but I love having an aggressive alignment on my "spirited driving" car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0254.jpg
Views:	2493
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	73630

Comment

I'm on a square setup 4 times over.

Staggered was ok but I like turn in way better on a square setup, setup properly.

Tramlining is smol price to pay for it's benefits. I don't DD the car anymore so IDC.
        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 BMW ///M3
        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I prefer square, that's how it came on the 95!

I believe it depends on how wide you go and which tires you use in regards to tram-lining, whether they're asymmetrical or not. I run a conservative 255 with Continental's and it's no problem whatsoever.

A lot can simply come down to personal tolerance and preference too.

As for the backwards stagger, can't that be rectified with a spacer?

Comment

I agree with others that it really depends on the intended use of the car. If you are DD or rarely tracking the car then I would run a staggered setup. I want as large a contact patch I can get (275's right now) for the track, while also retaining the ability to rotate those tires as needed. When the car comes home, I typically throw on the stock wheels so I am not unnecessarily burning expensive track tires. I don't think I would want to run squares on a DD vehicle because if I go with a larger tire, I have to increase my camber, causing unnecessary, uneven wear on the inside of my tires.
            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              Square for the track, staggered for the street.

I don't find rotating very useful on my street setup because the tires wear evenly across the tread and the rears wear out at pretty much exactly twice the rate of the fronts-- so I just replace the rears twice as often, and no net cost is incurred. If anything, running a square (and wide) setup requires additional front camber, which would end up making the inside of the fronts wear out faster, which would probably increase my rate of net wear.

The decreased steering feel and increased tram lining from a square setup annoys me on the street. On the track, I don't really notice either-- and the extra camber creates even wear.

So, yeah... different setups for different purposes.
              What toe setting do you run for the street setup to keep the fronts from wearing on the insides?

Comment

I have a staggered street set up and a square track set up. Sometimes I run spacers in the back of the square set up to get rid of that ugly wheel gap. Even at the track I don't rub much and don't feel a difference with the spacers on. it's only 10mm (iirc) and I have extended studs so I'm not worried about them.

Square 18x10 +25 with a spacer in the back:

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

What toe setting do you run for the street setup to keep the fronts from wearing on the insides?
                  zero
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I like the look of the square setup, I like the increased turn in also. Overall I like the setup more than staggered stockers.

Comment

265 square all around for street and occasional track play. here. People look at you like your car is broken when they see all the negative front camber but I particularly like the way it looks. I don't daily the car, so it's fun on the street when I take it out. Definitely harder to drive with all there tram-lining on our broken Toronto streets but that's what makes it fun.

Last edited by RoyalFlushness; 12-16-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

zero
                        I know, but I'd expect that to compromise high speed stability/handling or steering. I have asked something similar in his journal, but no information on street toe settings to get the even front tire wear.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
                          265 square all around for street and occasional track play. here. People look at you like your car is broken when they see all the negative front camber but I particularly like the way it looks. I don't daily the car, so it's fun on the street when I take it out. Definitely harder to drive with all there tram-lining on our broken Toronto streets but that's what makes it fun.
                          When I lived at Bay and Bloor I parked the M3 underground and never drove it because the roads in Toronto are that bad. I feel your pain.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I know, but I'd expect that to compromise high speed stability/handling or steering. I have asked something similar in his journal, but no information on street toe settings to get the even front tire wear.
                            Toe-in in the rear for stability. I suppose, if you ran stock or mild camber, you could get away with some toe in up front. No matter what, zero camber or -3, any toe will drag the tire across the road and accelerate wear. Toe AND camber will just cause that wear to happen on the inside as opposed to across the whole face of the tire (with no camber).
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I'm running 265/35/18 squared but I think 235 + 265 is more comfortable/fun on the street so eventually I'll switch.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                              X