No announcement yet.

Whos running radar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't most law enforcement use Lidar nowadays. There's no advanced warning for that and by the time you react they have already clocked your speed. I just use Waze, but it's only useful in populated areas since it depends on people to report findings. Additionally, with all the radar features of vehicles, wouldn't you be popping false positives all the time with a radar detector?
    Last edited by Robert's_BMW; 12-18-2020, 02:37 PM.
    2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

They use a lot of radar here in Nebraska. I really haven’t seen LIDAR used much compared to Colorado.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert's_BMW View Post
        Don't most law enforcement use Lidar nowadays.
        Lidar is much more proactive compared to radar. Whereas the cop is cruising in his car or at a standstill with radar, he can still consume his doughnut and measure your speed while you drive towards him. Lidar is usually for a cop with a bike, so he can instantly pull over, but then must drop his doughnut and physically point the laser at your specific car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
          Lidar is much more proactive compared to radar. Whereas the cop is cruising in his car or at a standstill with radar, he can still consume his doughnut and measure your speed while you drive towards him. Lidar is usually for a cop with a bike, so he can instantly pull over, but then must drop his doughnut and physically point the laser at your specific car.
          What's wrong with doughnuts?

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

What's wrong with doughnuts?
            Nothing...til they get into your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
              They use a lot of radar here in Nebraska. I really haven’t seen LIDAR used much compared to Colorado.
              Not too much lidar used here. Maybe in the front range.

Comment

When I lived in Boulder there were always motorcycle officers at the entrance to the canyon using it. I think they replaced them with those speed vans they like to hide everywhere though. They really liked speed traps in Boulder.
                Last edited by Mspir3d; 12-19-2020, 06:56 AM.
                IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
                  When I lived in Boulder there were always motorcycle officers at the entrance to the canyon using it. I think they replaced them with those speed vans they like to hide everywhere though. They really liked speed traps in Boulder.
                  I rarely encountered the motorcycles. The stupid vans were eeeverywhere though.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Why detect when one can jam or make invisible?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
                      I very briefly looked at laser jammers and they look like a very expensive product that may or may not work. They are illegal here in NE as well
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

I bought a uniden r3 mid last year after reading some positive reviews. It’s nice and easy and whatever else is important. The issue your going to run into is cops don’t always have the radar or lidar on. if they’re posted up somewhere and they see you speeding they zap you and all your expensive detector does is let you know your boned. This isn’t always the case but it happens often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
                          Still need the detector to know when to slow down and turn off jammer so cop can get a reading. Jammers are illegal in most states if not all

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post
                            I bought a uniden r3 mid last year after reading some positive reviews. It’s nice and easy and whatever else is important. The issue your going to run into is cops don’t always have the radar or lidar on. if they’re posted up somewhere and they see you speeding they zap you and all your expensive detector does is let you know your boned. This isn’t always the case but it happens often enough.
                            Still need to pay attention and look for the cops on the side of the road. One should think of a radar detector as an extension of your eyes. My redline ex pick up the cop long before he can see me and lidar needs line of site to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

Still need the detector to know when to slow down and turn off jammer so cop can get a reading. Jammers are illegal in most states if not all
                              Speeding is illegal too lol. Now jam a radar and you'll probably see this inside of gitmo.
                              The jammers alert you when they are jamming.

Comment

Working...
                              X