Auxiliary Fan Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary Fan Delete

How's it going everyone. I wasn't sure if I remember reading this on the other site but were some of you guys running your M's with out the auxiliary fan and even tracking it this way? This is the fan that sits right behind the front bumper but in front of the radiator. If this is not the one some of you deleted, which one was it?

Thanks in advance.

Probably the mech fan grenade.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Yeah I took my mechanical fan out and have been running with just the auxiliary fan. Weather is super mild in the bay area so no cooling issues.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The Aux fan is the one you want to keep from my understanding. People were deleting the clutch fan and using electric fans. There's a thread started on here on it
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I’ve been running a couple of years with just the OE aux fan, no mechanical fan. No issues although if I were to daily it in traffic in the summer I’d likely leave it in. My weekend drives haven’t seen any temp spikes. The mechanical fan moves a lot of air but obviously it can be a bit of a grenade and it sucks a few HP although nothing really noticeable.

i wouldn’t delete the aux fan. It works well.
          Last edited by Ramps; 04-06-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I removed my mechanical fan last summer (July), no problems after around 20K miles and 1 track event. And that was going thru an August and Sept in SC with, city stop and go as well as HWY. Even stop and go on I95 in GA and FL in the Summer and Fall. My water temp has never gone over half, and oil temp not much over 210 in traffic. ON the HWY always just to the left of 210.
            Last edited by Flat-Six; 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

What's the point of the clutch fan then? Maybe just redundancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                What's the point of the clutch fan then? Maybe just redundancy?
                To increase air flow at idle and slow (stop and go) speeds. I've had cars that actually depended on the mechanical fan for additional air flow at lower speeds, and other cars that didn't need it (in my environment).

Comment

I feel like it's needed here in Orlando, especially during the summer then.

Comment

The mech fan isn't unnecessary. I don't run one cause my car is a fair weather, no traffic, once a week maybe car with brand new cooling components incl radiator. I'd keep it in (get a nice, new one for fear of grenading) if I drove in high heat or traffic. Or Get an elec fan (engine side of rad).
                    Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-07-2020, 12:07 PM.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      The mech fan isn't unnecessary. I don't run one cause my car is a fair weather, no traffic, once a week maybe car with brand new cooling components incl radiator. I'd keep it in (get a nice, new one for fear of grenading) if I drove in high heat or traffic.
                      Absolutely. I wouldn't have taken mine off if it got any hotter than it does here.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yeah here the weather I guess can get pretty hot some days but not very often. I mean I live in the jersey so it’s not that often. I picked up a car over the summer and I been working on it and it didn’t have the auxiliary fan which is why I was wondering. I appreciate the responses. Now to figure out the other issues lol. I will be back I’m sure with more questions. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                        X