EGT Sensor Error code: 79 abgastempertursensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGT Sensor Error code: 79 abgastempertursensor

Just installed INPA about a week ago and read 6 occurrences of the error 79 "Abgastempertursensor".
    Code was cleared, car was driven yesterday and after reading codes tonight the error is back. Also, there is no SEL light present and car runs great.

From what I understand this error has to do with the EGT sensor. What has me slightly concerned is I recently relocated the EGT/O2 sensors to a Euro. Sec 1. Could this has any bearing on this error assuming I didn't damage a wire or connection? If not what else should I be looking at?

Here is a screen shot of the error before I cleared it. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Cubieman; 04-07-2020, 05:59 AM. Reason: additional info
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Did you happen to do a VCG at the same time or around the same time? The corners are very sharp and I actually had my wires frayed a bit.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
      Did you happen to do a VCG at the same time or around the same time? The corners are very sharp and I actually had my wires frayed a bit.
      Yup, same thing happened to me the first time I took my valve cover off.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Unfortunately I dont have a good answer to that question. The valves were supposedly checked about 2 years ago just previous to me buying the vehicle. It's possible maybe it was damaged way back then I suppose.
        I have the Bently manual, hopefully there is some info in there regarding resistance testing of the sensor itself.
        I better check that I didn't screw up the wires during the relocation process.
        How critical is this sensor? I assume it is more than simply an emissions deal.

Instagram

Comment

Does this code indicate a communication error with the sensor or readings from the sensor the ECU considered outside of the normal range?

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            Unfortunately I dont have a good answer to that question. The valves were supposedly checked about 2 years ago just previous to me buying the vehicle. It's possible maybe it was damaged way back then I suppose.
            I have the Bently manual, hopefully there is some info in there regarding resistance testing of the sensor itself.
            I better check that I didn't screw up the wires during the relocation process.
            How critical is this sensor? I assume it is more than simply an emissions deal.
            As far as I know, this sensor is used to protect the cats in case temps get too high, so yeah just emissions related. Someone correct me if it has another use.

Does this code indicate a communication error with the sensor or readings from the sensor the ECU considered outside of the normal range?
            "Zustand/Wert unplausible o. Uebertemperatur" translates to "value implausible or over temperature limit", so seems like it could be either. I suggest you pull your engine beauty cover off and inspect the connector and wires. This does a good job of covering the steps:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

EGT connector is shown in figure 12.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I've got the EGT connection under the car now, I took it easy during relocation but this error and the fact I recently messed with the related wiring/connections is probably not a coincidence.
              Now I've just got to pull off the 100 zip ties/ elec. tape I used to clean setup with all the new wiring up under the car.
              Also relocation of the sensor leaves the wires in a spot susceptible to water dripping from the vent on the hood down to the "drip pan" and out the drivers side drip pan rubber spout deal on the drip pan. I know that probably makes no sense. But I did just wash the car for the first time after Sec 1. sensor relocation.
              Thanks for that translation, I'll have the car up in the air tomorrow and see what's up hopefully.

Instagram

Comment

Also, maybe its possible the "value implausible" part is from Euro spec placement of the EGT and US spec software?

Instagram

Comment

iirc, the EGT isn't necessary. Why not just code it out?

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                  2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

That I'd like to figure out for certain, but I do believe it isn't necessary as well. If that is indeed the case once I figure out how to use INPA I'll probably end up doing just that if I can't find an obvious wiring/connection issue.

Instagram

Comment

It's there for cat protection, so if no cats, no need. Or if cheap cats, maybe you don't care. Or maybe if quality cats, but far enough downstream, there's no concern?
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

That I'd like to figure out for certain, but I do believe it isn't necessary as well. If that is indeed the case once I figure out how to use INPA I'll probably end up doing just that if I can't find an obvious wiring/connection issue.
                        You won't be able to code this out using INPA. You're going to need to use Martyn's tool or use one of these approaches to delete the DTC: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...ion-Strategies.

Comment

Euro Sec 1., used and probably high milage, catalyst may be spent. I just don't like any form of error codes present, bugs me!

Instagram

Comment

Update:
                            Found water in post cat o2's and EGT sensors inside the insulation. The relocation and cutting the conduit from under the beauty cover and behind the engine allowed water to run down all the way to the sensors. And seeing as I how i washed it recently its plausible thats what the error code was all about. I'll just delete them when it's tuned. Take care in sensor relocation!

Instagram

Comment

Interesting.

As ive recently had this come up. Cleared, and has re-appeared after about 50mi

All stock - haven't touched headers. Bummer, since I wanted a baseline dyno of the car. Obviously can't with a faulty EGT sensor.

Have the replacement part here. Bet o2's start to fault once this is replaced

Comment

Working...
                              X