Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Belts/Pulleys

Good Day M3 brothers,
    This is my first post on this forum. I do miss the good ole days on the forums, the FB groups, are just not the same.

Anyway, happy to be part of the crew here.

I have a 03 M3 6spd 110k here in Florida

She just started squeaking on a cold start, continuously until the coolant starts to heat up. For the life of me I cannot identify which pulley or tensioner it is, so I am going to do them all. So I am here to ask a few questions.

I personally like to order OE BMW parts, however I know that they do have a higher failure rate do to some components being plastic. Is there a 100% better go to aftermarket over OE BMW when it comes to all of the Belts, tensioners, and pulleys? If so, where’s the best place to grab what will be needed?

My next question is, what else is recommended to replace while diving into the front end? I’m guessing the water pump and thermostat. Coils, spark plugs, and Vanos were all just refreshed last month so I’m good on the head side.

I appreciate the input!

Welcome back. I haven’t actually touched the belts and pulleys on my car yet but I did buy the kit off of FCP Euro and have it ready for install. I think it was a kit with continental products? Anyways lifetime warranty.

While you’re in there you can do cooling system items or replace the fan/fan clutch or retrofit an electric one. I can’t think of any other items on the front of the motor.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I would just get the belts and pulleys that say OE on FCP. Should be the same exact part as the genuine BMW one but straight from the original manufacturer (so much cheaper). Plus FCP does lifetime warranty on anything so if/when they fail in the future you can get replacements for free.

Water pump isn't really a "while you're in there" thing when replacing belts and pulleys. Only real overlap between the two jobs is the fan/fan shroud removal and belt removal. However, at 110k mi, you should probably thinking about overhauling your coolant system (so thermostat, water pump, hoses, related gaskets, etc.). There's a good amount of posts about that on here so a quick search should give you a good idea of what to replace when doing this job.

Edit: I also recently learned that the thermostat housing has a rubber seal built into it. Apparently that seal can deteriorate and let some coolant flow past the thermostat, leading to overcooling. I personally haven't changed mine, but my car has started to overcool slightly on the highway after recent cooling system work. I'll probably replace mine soon since it's not too expensive. Just something to think about as well.
      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 12-23-2020, 11:33 AM.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

INA manufactures the belt drive components for BMW and Continental manufactures the belts for BMW. All parts are available as OEM parts from these manufactures (same exact part as Genuine OE BMW minus the BMW logo).

FCP Euro has a nice kit which includes everything you need, link below.

One thing of note that is often overlooked on the install is to be sure to cycle the new hydraulic tensioner 3-4 times. To do this you fully compress the hydraulic tensioner, hold it fully compressed for a few seconds, release and then repeat a couple more times.
        SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
        E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Thank you guys.
          DanAvoN7 thank you for that link. Looks like I can save a couple $$ but having the exact same product minus the BMW name? Nothing else is different?

is the hydraulic tensioner an upgrade or does the S54 already have one?

Comment

Hydraulic stock. Replace alternator while you're in there with Valeo unit from FCP. Also suggest the cooling system as mentioned above. FCP has a kit for that as well.

You're half way to getting to the rod bearings taking all that off if they haven't been addressed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
              Hydraulic stock. Replace alternator while you're in there with Valeo unit from FCP. Also suggest the cooling system as mentioned above. FCP has a kit for that as well.

You're half way to getting to the rod bearings taking all that off if they haven't been addressed.

Appreciate the input. Are you suggesting to do a complete overhaul on the cooling system like radiator, fan, tank the whole 9 or just the hoses, thermostat etc. is there a kit that you suggest OE or Genuine BMW?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyJames View Post

Appreciate the input. Are you suggesting to do a complete overhaul on the cooling system like radiator, fan, tank the whole 9 or just the hoses, thermostat etc. is there a kit that you suggest OE or Genuine BMW?
                I did mine last summer at 96k miles. My theory is if I touch it or I'm anywhere near it doing something else and it's that old then it gets replaced. Especially with something like cooling where it can strand you.

I believe FCP has a whole kit but can't recall. Might be Turner.

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post

One thing of note that is often overlooked on the install is to be sure to cycle the new hydraulic tensioner 3-4 times. To do this you fully compress the hydraulic tensioner, hold it fully compressed for a few seconds, release and then repeat a couple more times.
                  Shit, thanks for reminding me. I just changed everything and forgot to do that.

Comment

Appreciate you guys. All parts have been ordered. I didn’t order a radiator, but all hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc have been ordered for replacement. Guess I’ll order some rod bearings today too haha

Comment

Working...
                    X