Installed timing chain tensioner w/o oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Not sure. Beisan instructions just said to reinstall it without releasing the oil. And the tightening torque is unclear

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.29.23 PM.png
Views:	530
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	75547
    I've seen quite a few tensioners lose the circlip which ends up in the oil pan...is that caused by not de-oiling the tensioner?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I've seen quite a few tensioners lose the circlip which ends up in the oil pan...is that caused by not de-oiling the tensioner?
      Probably not. My guess is they want you to drain it before install to make it easier to compress and reduce risk of cross threading. Also, helps keep excess oil off the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I didn't know there is a circlip holding the tensioner piston to its cylinder -- thought the 2 pieces and a spring just mate together. Where the circlip clips on?

What I think: during unscrew the tensioner, the piston expanded and this could suck in more oil into the chamber. If not drain, the extended long tensioner when installed will put too much stress on the guides and chain, leading to damages.

Comment

Working...
        X