Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car pulls even after alignment

Hi peeps!

I hesitated a long time before creating that post because I wanted to have as much information as possible before starting the guessing game. I still can't find a satisfying conclusion, so here is the story:

'04 BMW M3 e46 convertible, got it at 110k miles roughly with stock suspension. When I drove it back home, there was a shacking in the wheel at 65mph+ and it felt like it pulled to the right.

1 - Went for a tire balancing, realized the front left tire irregular wear (spotted during PPI) created the shacking and impossible to correct with a balancing. Bought two new front tires, matching the rear: Continental ExtremeContact DWS. This fixed the shacking problem but didn't change much to the pulling to the right.

2 - Went for an alignment after that to a reputable shop in LA (The M Shop), and the shop struggled with the caster on the front right. Obviously you can't adjust that with a stock setup so what you have is what you get. The mechanic didn't find any damaged part that could explain that and brought up the idea of a hit on the car that could do that. It did fix the pulling at fairly low speed, but not at a higher speed. For the first time though, I started feeling like on some highway segments, the pull would be to the left which lead me to wonder if the setup wasn't just overly sensitive to the road camber (tram lining I believe it's called).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2709.jpg Views:	2 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	7708

3 - Called the previous owner (who was the first and unique owner until I bought it) to see if he forgot to say something. He told me he did encounter a fender bender and to look at the documentation he gave me - which indeed mention the work from a body shop, except that it was for the rear part of the car, not the front. He said recalling someone pulling back into the front of his car at some point over the 16 years of ownership, which he says was minor but couldn't remember much more. I also found while looking into the documentation the last alignment he did in 2016 and it showed very similar results as the work done by the M Shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2711.jpg Views:	2 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	7705 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2712.jpg Views:	2 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	7706 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2713.jpg Views:	2 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	7707

5 - Had the car checked by a detailing guy to bring back it's former glory, and he did notice the front right looks redone - inconsistent paintwork quality from hood to quarter-panel, guessed new front bumper and headlight. That confirmed a hit, but hard to really say what consequences it could have had/may have.

4 - Changed the full suspension because it was old and shot (switched to Koni front and rear + Eibach springs), work being done by Kaiv in SD who also checked the front to see if visually anything would come out as damaged, explaining the pull. The suspension got upgraded and while doing so, nothing abnormal came out of the visual inspection.

5 - Brought the car for another alignment, this time to Bavarian Workshop in LA area. They worked on alignment to match the lowered setup and apart from the rear trailing arms being out of adjustment, they told me it was good to go. I took the car a ride and still noticed the pull to the right, but on the rare segments where the road camber is to the left, I'm pretty sure it pulls left too. I called to ask a bit of feedback and they believe the tires are most likely the reason why the car is tram lining so much.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0756.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	7710

At this point, it can quickly become a money pit if I keep chasing it, and maybe it isn't even anything to "fix" and just a feature of the tires or else. But I'm left guessing and unsatisfied. Maybe that will ring a bell for some of you who use the same tires or setup, or maybe it'll bring some ideas about where to look. Either way, I'd appreciate some feedback!

Cheers and stay safe during the craziness going on!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by herwawan; 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM.
    BMW M340i G20 '21
    BMW M3e46 '04
    exBMW 120i f20 '16
    exBMW 328i Convertible e36 '96
    exBMW 628Csi e24 '87
    ex BMW 328i Coupé e36 '98
    ex BMW 530i e34 '89
    ex BMW 735i e23 '81

Roads and streets are crowned/cambered to aid water drainage. A well set up car will follow the camber regardless. If your car gently drifts to the right as opposed to a constant tugging, you may have to adapt to that behaviour. Bear in mind that you also have new tyres...still are greasy with mold release agent and tall tread blocks. They may not feel like the have good tracking stability.
    Give it a little time for things to settle, and if the steering wheel has a noticeable angle when you're driving straight ahead, you may have to take another look at both ends of the car again.

mine (@89k) had a greasy front end and did not track with assertion as I drove it home from the sellers.
    The rtabs were replaced with oem and I installed anti deflection discs while in there. Added koni yellows to the rear but I can't stand 'em.
    tracking was more stable but the front end was still greasy and uncertain.
    replaced 93k mile flcas and used poly urethane flcabs. The right front flcab was worn out. Looked like it was being baked by the header'cat. Needs better heat shielding.
    LF strut is leaking, so new struts and an alignment should be all.

Comment

The first paper shows caster being slightly less on the right but then the verification shows it being less on the left. Everything matches except that. You want equal caster. It will cause the car to pull. .3° isn't much but it could be a start if the paper is right. If the car was hit on the left side, I would think it would pull to the left.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Sorry guys for the late answers, COVID has made work and life a bit more intense. Thanks for the input!

The latest and current alignment is the one below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	26436

I did a quick video to show the intensity of the pull: https://youtu.be/QcJQIo2pcmQ

The hit seems to be on the right side (the side that pulls). Again, it's mostly an assumption.
        Attached Files
        BMW M340i G20 '21
        BMW M3e46 '04
        exBMW 120i f20 '16
        exBMW 628Csi e24 '87
        ex BMW 530i e34 '89
        ex BMW 735i e23 '81

Comment

Watched the video, and always hard to tell just how bad it really is. In my opinion, that looks like a fairly small amount of pull, almost just a drift. In the right lane, the freeways usually have a slight angle to the right as well to slough off water, so it would be expected to drift that direction.

Comment

Try flipping your old tires from left side to right side and see is the direction of the pull changes. Don’t worry if your tires are directional - it won’t damage them. Just avoid driving in the rain if they are facing the wrong way.

Comment

man i had this with my old 330cic, I hit a curb 3 days after i bought it and shattered a rim and bent the rear suspension. I had all the components changed and it pulled to the left slightly to the day i sold it.

Comment

If it still has the original suspension, you'll have to refresh both ends.
                start with rtabs and flcabs.
                A good alignment tech can tell if there are worn suspension components as the alignment specs will shift during adjustment and cause him some aggro

Comment

JamesSJ1 Thanks for the feedback! It's indeed quite hard to get the feeling through a short video, did my best!

eegstwozero I just changed the tires earlier this year, the problem existed before and remained after.

sev Wow. Yeah, not ideal. I hope I can fix that though.

FBloggs I just upgraded the original shocks/struts/springs to Koni Yellow + Eibach (front and rear). The problem still exists. So I guess yeah, I want to keep looking further into the suspension but I feel like it can quickly become a very expensive process to change each component until it fixes it!
                  BMW M340i G20 '21
                  BMW M3e46 '04
                  exBMW 120i f20 '16
                  exBMW 628Csi e24 '87
                  ex BMW 530i e34 '89
                  ex BMW 735i e23 '81

Comment

Just judging off the alignment sheet I think your issue lies in the caster.

If I were you I'd replace FCABs and Tie Rods if they haven't been done. Makes the car feel new again.

Comment

At that mileage, if the rest of the suspension is original, you'll need fcabs and rtabs at a minimum.
                      Ibought an 83k mi example last sept.
                      it had a blown damper at each end.
                      I have replaced the flcas,flcabs, rtabs,to correct a slight right drift, but mainly to eliminate a vague front end feel.
                      The right side flcab had been baked by the cats, so the control arm was literally flapping about.
                      Last edited by FBloggs; 05-28-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

If your tires are worn unevenly your car could pull to one side even after a full alignment. Have you recently rotated the tires?

Comment

Working...
                        X