Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why use a method that you can't torque the VANOS hub bolts to spec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.56.40 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	78621

Certainly looks like a crowsfoot attachment. newTIS.info
    I think he is just pointing out the two are calibrated for each other.
    Last edited by Icecream; 01-12-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      1) Tool 117200 is not a crowfoot adapter. It's an accurate digital torque wrench. BMW would not recomment to torque anything this critical using a crowfoot adapter with torque wrench.
      It is practically the same thing as a crowfoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.30.47 AM.png
Views:	298
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	78633

It's meant to be used on one of those torque wrenches with interchangeable heads. Something like this:

Name:	100nmimh-interchangeable-head-wrench.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	78634

Sure, the adapter and torque wrench are made so that the readings on the wrench will be the torque that is applied at the fastener. But once again, if you do the math (or use a trusted calculator) and set your torque wrench to a value that will yield the desired torque at the fastener, there is nothing wrong with using a crowfoot adapter.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
        After this the remaining hubs bolts are tightened by hand to 10.5ft lb.

Per your procedure the splined shafts are only installed 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the hubs and the left/right hub bolts are tightened/backed out 1/4 turn. Isn't that different from Beisan in that when tightening the left/right hub bolts (per Beisan) the vanos/head top mounting bolts are threaded in hand tight thus I would *think* the splined shafts would be further than 1/4th to 1/3rd of the way into the hubs.

I guess I am just pointing out that your procedure MAY have the splined shafts sticking out of the hubs further vs. Beisan.

I may be wrong here and am not saying anything is wrong with your procedure at all(yours is closer to TIS than Beisan) but I just wanted to ask about that.
        1) how do you tighten by hand anything to 10.5 ft lbs? Anyone can do this without torque wrench? This could be your root cause of bad timing.
        2) The main difference is in Beisan method, it has the spline shafts threaded to the vanos pistons before mounting the vanos to the head. I think this is more awkward to do when inserting the 2 spline shafts simutaneously into the 2 hubs at the same time while the hub bolts are not pretensioned. This can cause mistakes and moving the hub more than 1 tooth trying to insert the spline shafts to the hubs. Do you have 4 hands to do this? Tis and my method have each spline shaft inserted to the hub just by one hand because it was not connected to the vanos and you only deal with one shaft at a time.

The goal is to have the shafts inserted about 3mm into the hubs with each hub turned CCW not more than 1 tooth during shaft insertion; 2 hub bolts pretensioned; Vanos connected to shafts and supported by top 2 bolts. You can use whatever means to get this goal. Once the vanos evenly bolted down to the head (I stress evenly to avoid cocking the vanos), hand tighten as many hub bolts as you can to avoid the hub from moving against the sprocket as this is the final timing position. Then remove the vanos and use torque wrench to torque all hub bolts to 14 Nm. The timing is done and to be verified with bridge pin.
        Last edited by sapote; 01-12-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          Certainly looks like a crowsfoot attachment. newTIS.info
          This pic shows the open wrench is not a normal crowfoot but a torque wrench by itself.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.47.42 AM.png
Views:	272
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	78642

Last edited by sapote; 01-12-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

This pic show the open wrench is not a normal crowfoot but a torque wrench by itself.

Sure, but a crowsfoot used at a 90 angle from the wrench results in the same torque (or you can do the calculation like heinz describes above, if you use the crowsfoot wrench inline with the torque wrench). Crowsfoot wrenches are cheap and get the job done while having the VANOS and hub splines mounted (no guesswork needed for the spline depth).

Comment

Maybe this is the reason why your timing failed:
              1) did you torque the left/right bolts to spec then back out 1/4 turns, or just tightened by feel?

2) after the top 2 vanos bolts are hand tight, was there more than 5mm gap between vanos and head? If not enough gap then the result timing could fail.
              I did this by feel, they were not torqued.

I did not note the gap between the vanos and head before moving on to tightening/loosening 1/4th the left/right hub bolts. I pushed the vanos onto the head and hand tightened the top vanos mounting bolts. This may have been the issue, or part of it.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                It is practically the same thing as a crowfoot.
                A crowfoot is a short open wrench with a square hole at one end for any standard 3/8 drive. The 117200 tool is not a crowfoot, but a special insert to use with a calibrated torque wrench. I agree that one can use any crowfoot for this task if doing the math to compensate for the offset, but why need to add more maths and complexity to the task which is prone for error? Why not deviate the Tis slightly so we can use a standard torque wrench with 10mm socket? I also prefer a socket over an open wrench when torquing anything.

My method is only different from Tis that I remove the vanos off so we can use a 10mm socket and torque wrench to torque the bolts to spec, then install the vanos back. What's a big deal of deviating from BMW for a better experience? Beisan is much more deviated from Tis. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I did this by feel, they were not torqued.

I did not note the gap between the vanos and head before moving on to tightening/loosening 1/4th the left/right hub bolts. I pushed the vanos onto the head and hand tightened the top vanos mounting bolts. This may have been the issue, or part of it.
                  Bingo! These are the root causes.

1) You could have tighten them too tight leading to cams being turned instead of hubs rotate against sprockets.
                  2) You didn't know the gap between vanos and head before pretensioning the hub bolts. Assuming the vanos was touching the head before you pretension the 2 hub bolts, this would lead to couple errors: the pistons were not moved to their most forward positions; the spline shafts were not pushed to rotate the hubs to their precise timing location relative to the sprockets. This caused cams to have retard timing.

Now one can see that the method I suggested leaves no room for errors because the hubs are pretensioned with the vanos off the head, and the same as Tis. I really don't understand why Beisan wanted to deviate from Tis method.

Comment

That tool is used on Porsches as well. Do not use a crows foot. It's a special tool that is like $600. You just have to calibrate the 'ole internal torque guage when using a box wrench. The issue was probably not torque related anyways.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Here's a gadget that I've used on VANOS and other tight spots where fasteners need to be torqued. I bought it at a local motorcycle shop, and it's pretty flexible, in that you can use it with basically any size spanner.

Comment

If the final timing check is not 100% as you expect, say after tuning the crank 2 or 4 turns and locked it at TDC and check the cams with bridge and pin, and the pin only get in the cam hole with the bridge lifted up off the head on the intake side by 1mm or so. (This has nothing to do with having old chain that stretched a little longer. This can be corrected by compensation:

At the beginning of the whole procedure, instead of blocking the crank at TDC, we set it at about 2mm BEFORE TDC turning CW. Perform the rest of the step the same as in the instruction.

For those that worry about engine damaged if the timing check result is not perfect as expect, here is the important points to avoid pistons hitting the valves when doing the final timing check with bridge/pin:

* No intake advanced (bridge should not lifted up on EX side). Advanced IN could lead to hitting valves at high RPM at end of exhausting stroke.
                        * No exhaust retarded (bridge should not lifted up on IN side). Retarded EX could lead to hitting valves at high RPM at end of exhausting stroke.
                        Valves are far away from pistons during compression stroke.

From this, I think money shift damages mostly are exhaust valves bent.

Comment

Working...
                        X