No announcement yet.

Navigation Screen Replacement - Recommendations and Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a proper fit screen protector? I know it won't be anti-glare, but everyone thinks it's a touchscreen and oily fingerprints will wear out the screen surface again.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
      Anyone know of a proper fit screen protector? I know it won't be anti-glare, but everyone thinks it's a touchscreen and oily fingerprints will wear out the screen surface again.
      Nushield 145 x 82 Triple A for Chevrolet Suburban 2010

Comment

So I finally tackled this project today. I got lucky and the picture on my screen was dead center after I installed the new screen. I think the seller I bought it from pre-centered it during the testing process? Looks like a couple other people who have bought from this seller had their picture dead center on the screen as well. I linked to the seller i bought from below.

Anyways it is a totally DIY project. It was not hard at all and took me about 2 hours to complete. I followed the videos I have linked below. The X5 screen removal steps in video below is just like the E46 except the very last step where he tells you to remove the 4 bolts on the back of the screen to remove the screen. I did not have these 4 bolts on my car. the E46 navi is either different or they might have updated the design for 05-06 cars as mine is a stepmber 2004 production car.

Anyways, if you get to the last step and dont have the 4 bolts on the back of the screen, all you have to do is turn the unit over and unscrew the 6 screws that hold the buttons and volume control in place. Then the screen can be removed (it is attached to a grey bracket). then you can unbolt the screen from the grey bracket and swap the the new one in.

screen

step 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSfE...annel=akspeedo

step 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCn...annel=akspeedo
        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
          So I finally tackled this project today. I got lucky and the picture on my screen was dead center after I installed the new screen. I think the seller I bought it from pre-centered it during the testing process? Looks like a couple other people who have bought from this seller had their picture dead center on the screen as well. I linked to the seller i bought from below.

Anyways it is a totally DIY project. It was not hard at all and took me about 2 hours to complete. I followed the videos I have linked below. The X5 screen removal steps in video below is just like the E46 except the very last step where he tells you to remove the 4 bolts on the back of the screen to remove the screen. I did not have these 4 bolts on my car. the E46 navi is either different or they might have updated the design for 05-06 cars as mine is a stepmber 2004 production car.

Anyways, if you get to the last step and dont have the 4 bolts on the back of the screen, all you have to do is turn the unit over and unscrew the 6 screws that hold the buttons and volume control in place. Then the screen can be removed (it is attached to a grey bracket). then you can unbolt the screen from the grey bracket and swap the the new one in.

screen

step 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSfE...annel=akspeedo

step 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCn...annel=akspeedo
          Thanks for posting your feedback.

Comment

Do you think the new screen is brighter or has a better picture quality than the old one? I know I asked this from the last poster.

I don't have any dead pixels. There is a fairly faint scratch so not major reasons to replace mine. Backlight doesn't seem too dim either. Just seems a bit washed out these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
              Do you think the new screen is brighter or has a better picture quality than the old one? I know I asked this from the last poster.

I don't have any dead pixels. There is a fairly faint scratch so not major reasons to replace mine. Backlight doesn't seem too dim either. Just seems a bit washed out these days.
              The picture quality is noticeable brighter and sharper yes
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post

Here is a picture of the new screen. My old one was "faded" looking, even with the monitor off. is there a coating on there that comes off overtime?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_6204.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	221377
                Attached Files
                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

The stock nav screen has a matte finish that looks like a coating which requires care in cleaning and maintaining. This is why all aftermarket dash units look cheap and, well, aftermarket in a bad sense.

I'd assume fading from uv exposure and long service life as well as harsh chemicals or improper cloths would lead to degradation of the screen finish over time.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                  X