Front Sway Bar Reinforcement Plate Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Sway Bar Reinforcement Plate Dimensions

Hello all, might be a long shot but does anyone have a front sway bar reinforcement plate they haven't installed yet? If so, I'd greatly appreciate some measured dimensions, primarily hole locations and overall plate sizing. I was looking at the MSW plates since they also have drain holes, but any plate will do. I'm looking for these dimensions to make my own and with my car in winter storage I can't take measurements until it comes back out. Thanks!

curious what you plan to cook up with these?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post
      curious what you plan to cook up with these?
      Just gonna fab up some 1/8" plates similar to as pictured, except I will epoxy the plates in instead of welding. Seems to be somewhat of a common problem when you put really big front bars on our cars, and I have a 30 mm front sway going in. Zpost had some dimensions but I'd like to include the drain holes as well.

Picture below taken from SQ13's thread:

Last edited by timmo; 02-12-2021, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

Just gonna fab up some 1/8" plates similar to as pictured, except I will epoxy the plates in instead of welding. Seems to be somewhat of a common problem when you put really big front bars on our cars, and I have a 30 mm front sway going in. Zpost had some dimensions but I'd like to include the drain holes as well.

Picture below taken from SQ13's thread:

makes sense. why not save yourself the hassle and just buy it? its $19 lol

Comment

The shop that repaired/reinforced mine put some thick plates on. If you’re not in a rush, I can measure in a week or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5053AD7A-4E39-40FA-869C-CC70A16BCD25.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	84569 Click image for larger version

Name:	C4D99925-F326-4EE6-A5CD-093A096D554E.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	84570
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post

makes sense. why not save yourself the hassle and just buy it? its $19 lol
            2 reasons:

1) It's not much effort and cost for me to make my own. I'm a student so I'm careful with spending, with access to a machine shop... it'll take me less than a half hour on the bandsaw and drill press, or I could just get it waterjet for free. Raw material cost for these plates is essentially nothing. And being in Canada it's just more hassle having to deal with cross-border red tape (duties/taxes/shipping).

2) It's fun and rewarding to make my own stuff from scratch - not just with these plates, but I've made my own corner scale levelers and string alignment jigs. I gain the experience of welding/machining/etc. and the satisfaction that I made something from scratch rather than just buying everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
              The shop that repaired/reinforced mine put some thick plates on. If you’re not in a rush, I can measure in a week or two.
              Appreciate it man, yes no rush, whatever's convenient for you. Ontario is on COVID lockdown so I likely can't get back in the shop for some time anyways.

Comment

Alright, finally got around to getting a set waterjet - bear in mind that I made them before I could actually access my car, so the holes were a tad off. If you want to make your own the below dimensions are of the original plate for reference, before filing:

Overhead view of plate after filing, showing how it was modified:

Essentially the holes for the studs were set to 90 mm apart, but the ones in my car were maybe 1-2 mm wider than that. The holes for drainage had to be filed towards the holes for the studs, maybe around 4-5 mm.

Hope this comes in useful for someone wanting to fab their own as well.

Comment

Can you recommend a good expoxy for this? I might follow the same route...

Comment

Originally posted by toy4to View Post
                    Can you recommend a good expoxy for this? I might follow the same route...
                    When I did my vincebar 4 years ago I used Araldite 2014 which was suggested by Vince, and have had no issues.

This time around I found a local shop selling 3M DP460 so I bought a tube of that. Looking through the datasheets it has similar properties and good for metal to metal bonding as well

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X