Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Ceramics on E46 M3

Here's the article
    TrackandTuner.com documented the progress of perfecting a BMW M3 e46 Convertible. This car has been fully built and maintained by www.bandenserviceflakkee.nl.

It's quite the mod. All I know are Porsche prices which would run about $30,000 in parts alone. This is some expensive bling because I promise you that eBay airbox isn't making enough power to need these. The idea of these brakes is just amazing though. Next we need a center lock conversion.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

My dad has these on his 996 Gt3, I always joke about stealing his brakes
    When his carbon brakes are done we are simply going to put on the standard red brembos just because the yellow CC brakes are stupid expensive. But man, those are quite the setup.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      My dad has these on his 996 Gt3, I always joke about stealing his brakes
      When his carbon brakes are done we are simply going to put on the standard red brembos just because the yellow CC brakes are stupid expensive. But man, those are quite the setup.
      Just convert them to iron rotors. Keep the same yellow calipers and run iron rotors with pads for iron rotors. People do this all the time for the track.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Just convert them to iron rotors. Keep the same yellow calipers and run iron rotors with pads for iron rotors. People do this all the time for the track.
        Good to know, thanks.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Isn’t there a corvette CF brake package that could be adapted? Thought I recalled that was an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Iron brakes better, at least mine. And cheaper. Last less time. But... No problem. Just envy the rotors weights

Comment

There was an Imola Red M3 in CA years ago that had an experimental Stoptech CC BBK F+R.

Said it was pretty decent.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Assuming the F8X hubs are the same for iron & carbon ceramic systems, you might be able to fit those on without a lot of hassle given that the blue F8X brakes are frequently retrofitted.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

As soon as the Porsche track guys get any speed, they swap out their ceramics for iron. I love the idea of less rotating/unsprung mass as the next guy, but you you need to repeatedly use your brakes hard... they're an expensive habit.

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                  There was an Imola Red M3 in CA years ago that had an experimental Stoptech CC BBK F+R.

Said it was pretty decent.
                  That was likely the stoptech prototype setup, which never became a product line. I know their test car matched that description.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I designed adapters to fit R8/RS4/Lambo calipers to the e46m3 using 360mm e9Xm3 rotors - the calipers adapters are really basic and easy to make. The Audi uses a 5x112 lug pattern, but it looks like in the pictures they just redrilled 5x120 in the rotor hubs and left the original 5x112 - which should make it a fairly easy swap. So if you can find a set of R8 CC brakes, it's probably a fairly easy swap. I think you'd have a hard time getting the rear brakes working correctly and the article doesn't touch on that any. They also don't mention if the brake bias is trashed or not...

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                    As soon as the Porsche track guys get any speed, they swap out their ceramics for iron. I love the idea of less rotating/unsprung mass as the next guy, but you you need to repeatedly use your brakes hard... they're an expensive habit.

That was likely the stoptech prototype setup, which never became a product line. I know their test car matched that description.
                    The article says they were taken from a 2018 Audi R8 CC. But to your point, if you're doing any type of serious tracking, iron rotors for the win. CC are a fantastic daily/light track setup though and that no-brake-dust life.
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                    Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Side note, at the bottom of that article they linked his car going around the Nurburgring... hard pass driving 10/10s in a convertible e46m3 without a roll bar on the Nurburgring, nope.jpg.
                      Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Thought I saw a black E46 with CCBs. Sold on the forums a few years back I thought. Memory a bit blurry, but this definitely isn't the first CCB equipped E46...

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
                          Thought I saw a black E46 with CCBs. Sold on the forums a few years back I thought. Memory a bit blurry, but this definitely isn't the first CCB equipped E46...
                          Yeah, like Obioban said above, stoptech made a prototype CCB package specifically for our cars at one point.
                          Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Yeah, like Obioban said above, stoptech made a prototype CCB package specifically for our cars at one point.
                            Don't think it was Stoptech. Pretty sure it was Brembo also.

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post

Don't think it was Stoptech. Pretty sure it was Brembo also.
                              Dunno if they do anymore, but stoptech for sure made a kit. So did Mov'it.
                              Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Working...
                              X