Feeler: Girodisc 2-piece floating rotors for E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler: Girodisc 2-piece floating rotors for E46 M3

Hi guys, some people expressed interest in two-piece rotors in ZCP/CSL sizes (345x28 and 328x20) so I wanted to break it off into its own thread.

Disclaimer: I work at Girodisc, but I don’t work in sales or engineering. I own an E46 M3 myself, and I’d like to run these rotors on my own car.

Tl;dr is that our usual policy is if 5 people express solid interest, we start drawing rotors up and test fitting them. Add yourself to the list in the next post if you’re interested. No deposits or anything now, but we will secure orders when we have the design ready for production.

Tentative price: ~$1000/pair for the fronts. Could come in a little under. Replacement rings (including new attachment hardware) will be in the $500-550 range. We've found that between the superior iron mix and the more effective cooling, they tend to last way longer than OEM discs even under track use.

In-depth overview

General: Girodisc has been around since 2003, starting with application #001 for Ferrari 360s. All parts are machined in-house in the USA. We use a two-piece, fully floating design that saves weight over OE discs thanks to the aluminum hat and holds up to serious abuse. We're known in the Porsche world with the guys who track their cars regularly, including our plug & play kits to convert from carbon ceramics to iron rotors.

Hat: We machine them from 6061-T6 aluminum that is sourced domestically. These will be black hard anodized (see attached photo of our 458/488 Challenge rotors for an example). Floating hardware consists of cadmium-plated pins (machined in-house as well) and 12.9-grade hardware using a combination of Belville and spring washers for full float. This means they won’t rattle around on the street but can fully accommodate the iron disc expanding & contracting with heat.

Rotor: We machine raw castings that are poured to our specifications by a foundry in the Midwest. We use a proprietary blend of iron that lends itself to being more durable under extreme use and longer lasting. Rotors are slotted and not drilled since most of our customers end up taking them to the track. Our design has curved, centrifugal vanes that act as an air pump and is much more effective at shedding heat than straight, pillar-vaned rotors.

E46 M3 fronts: 345x28, direct swap with OEM. This size of rotor will have 48 curved vanes. Will work with 996, Megane RS, etc. retrofits designed to work with stock rotors, as well as the stock, sliding calipers.

E46 M3 rears: This will be more complicated. As many of you know, PFC makes a 2-piece rear rotor but requires a unique pad shape to clear the 2-piece hardware. There are ways we can get around this, and I’ll be bringing my car in to get it up on our lift and see what we can do. So for now, consider the fronts good to go, and the rears pending.

Let me know if you guys want any more details or have any other questions. Anything that I can’t answer I can find out for you guys. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1-183_011.jpg
Views:	2382
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	88478
    Attached Files
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

List of interested people (carrying over from the 996 caliper thread), and I included whether people indicated if they have the Porsche calipers so they could run the shorter annulus pad.

Fronts + rears:

1. r4dr (Porsche rears)
    2. SWRT_M3 (Porsche rears)
    3. M3Giovan (Porsche rears)
    4. terra
    6. QuickM3 (stock rear caliper)
    7. Exclusivs
    8. R717
    9. EthanolTurbo

Rears only:

1. pawa_k2001 (Porsche rears)
    2. sc_tr0jan_m3
    3. elbert (Porsche rears)
    4. SQ13 (Porsche rears)
    5. Sharocks (stock rear caliper)
    6. slavik1988 (Porsche rears)
    7. EthanolTurbo (Porsche rears)
    Last edited by r4dr; 06-22-2022, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Last post: I'm not really active on any other E46 forum or Facebook groups, so if anyone wants to share a link to this post on there, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

Since I am currently running PFC V3 front rotors and PFC stopped producing rear rotors, I would be interested in a rear set. One of the main factors for me is weight, I would need to see a savings in weight to buy rear rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can ya'll hook it up for the BBK crowd for some rates on 355mmx32mm discs?
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I’d be interested in some rears potentially

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
              Not sure if they make hats but they make friction rings:

We design, manufacture, and sell 2-piece, fully-floating brake rotors for Porsche, BMW, Subaru, and more. Made in the USA from US-sourced materials.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                Since I am currently running PFC V3 front rotors and PFC stopped producing rear rotors, I would be interested in a rear set. One of the main factors for me is weight, I would need to see a savings in weight to buy rear rotors.

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                I’d be interested in some rears potentially

I'm hoping to have an update on the rears next week when I have my car in here to take measurements. While the fronts can be designed based off of OEM rotor dimensions, the rears are a bigger question when it comes to how much room there is with pads, caliper brackets, and e-brake parts.

Anytime we do a 2-piece replacement that keeps OEM dimensions, we see weight reduction due to the aluminum dimensions. This is usually true as well, though to a lesser extent, of co-cast rotors.

Comment

Someone linked our 355x32 rings for Brembo/StopTech kits already. We have a minimum advertised price (full retail, basically) agreement with our dealers so we can't undercut them. I'd love to hook you guys up but that's a tricky situation.

I will say that even our full price comes in under the fully zinc-anodized StopTech equivalent rings, and in our experience they last a noticeable amount longer than the StopTech iron.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Someone linked our 355x32 rings for Brembo/StopTech kits already. We have a minimum advertised price (full retail, basically) agreement with our dealers so we can't undercut them. I'd love to hook you guys up but that's a tricky situation.

I will say that even our full price comes in under the fully zinc-anodized StopTech equivalent rings, and in our experience they last a noticeable amount longer than the StopTech iron.
                    Can ya'll make that spec rotor without slots? Just curious lol
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Can ya'll make that spec rotor without slots? Just curious lol
                      Yeah, absolutely. Shoot me a PM if you want more info and I'll give you my email.

Comment

Update: brought my car in today, rears look like they could be done.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys would want to run the rears with the 996 caliper setup?

Comment

I currently have 986S rear calipers. Would be interested in rotors. Weight is one of the most important factors for me.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Hi.
                            I recently bought a Brembo retro-fit but dont have the rotors yet, so am interest in two-piece rotors in ZCP/CSL sizes 345x28 and 328x20.
                            Please send info once available. thks!

Comment

I’d definitely be interested. Doubly so if you could strike a deal with FCP for them to sell your discs

I remember back in the day racingbrake sold ZCP discs that used their 335i sized rings (348x30) seemingly without compatibility issues. I see that’s already a rotor you guys make, so maybe you could use those rings with an e46 sized hub?

Comment

Working...
                              X