Missed Opportunity/Looking For Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed Opportunity/Looking For Input

I was in high school in the 80's and I was addicted to car magazines. That continued into and after college. I Can't remember the exact day, or even the month, but I read a blurb/article in Car and Driver announcing that the "real" Euro spec M3 was coming to North America for 2001. I was single, living at home and working my first real job so the $50k wasn't a big issue. I knew they would be limited, at least at first and the dealer allocations would be gone quick as soon as they were available. I lived in a small town about 90 minutes south of Atlanta, GA, but we had a BMW dealership in town.

The next day I went to the dealership and asked to speak to the manager (I guess I was a "Karen" at an early age). I told the manager I wanted to put a deposit on his first allocation for a 2001 BMW M3 to be purchased as MSRP. He thought I was a nut, and told me we know nothing about the car, the 2001's model year is a year away, you don't have to put down a deposit. Just come see us once the car is released and we can order one for you. I insisted that I wanted to put down a deposit, and get a letter from the manager giving me position for their first 2001 BMW M3 allotted at MSRP. He finally relented and took my check for $1,000.00 as a deposit.

Just a few months later the car was officially announced and every allocation in the US was quickly spoken for. Dealer mark up was typically 10K or more over sticker. I stopped by to see the manager to confirm that our deal was still in place. The dealership was only allotted one car, but he agreed that my deposit and letter were still good to buy that car at MSRP. He would let me know once the books opened up so I could place my order. It was going to be yellow with the SMG transmission! Sadly, shortly after that I was laid off from my job. There was no way I was going to be able to finance the car with no job.

I procrastinated on going to the dealership and asking from my $1,000 deposit back. I didn't want to give up the dream. During that time I noticed that there were people listing their "place in line" to get the new M3 on eBay and Craig's List. Not the actual car, but just their place on the allocation list. So I decided to list mine and see what happened. IT SOLD FOR $10,000! to a guy in the Bay Area. Before he paid, I talked with the dealership to insure I could transfer the allocation, they agreed. We did a 2 way call with me sitting in the dealership to the winning bidder. Once the agreement was made he wired $11,000.00 to my bank account. The agreed price, plus my $1,000 deposit that would ultimately be applied to the purchase. Lucky for him he went with Laguna Seca blue and the 6-speed manual.

I missed my opportunity to own my dream car in 2000, but the money came in handy while I searched for a job. Eventually I found a job, ironically in the Bay Area, so I moved to California. Two years later, I was ready to buy an M3! I called the dealership to see if they had one in stock. They did. So I headed that way in my 2001 Nissan Maxima 6-Speed manual that I had only had a few months. Let me just say, it was no M3!

On they way to the BMW dealership I passed a chevy dealership which had a new Corvette sitting out front. I decided to stop and look at it. Then I drove it. It was certainly fun, with lots of torque, but I was still heading to BMW for a new M3. The Chevy salesman asked if I wanted to buy it, to which I said no, it's nice, but I think I am going to go with the BMW. Both the Corvette and the M3 had essentially the same sticker price, and there was no doubt in my mind that the BMW was the better car. Then the salesman started talking discounts, and it got my attention. $6k off the sticker right off the bat. I wasn't interested. Then he came back with more off the MSRP and 0% financing for 72 months! It was at that point I made a decision that I have regretted for twenty years. I bought the Corvette. I mean the BMW was full sticker with some markup and no finance incentives, but I still wish I had never stopped at Menlo Park Chevrolet. Don't get me wrong, the Vette was fun, but it was no M3.

Now, it's 20 years later, and I live in Manhattan. I do not need a car. In fact, it makes no sense to have one here, but I want one! I won't be using it for daily transportation. I will have to rent a parking space for $300-$500 a month to park the thing, but who cares. It will be worth it for weekend road trips. My dilemma is this; E46 or E92? I am not looking for a garage queen with extremely low milage. I wan't something I can drive. I love the idea of buying the car that escaped me twice 20 years ago (E46), but a high revving V8 sounds like a lot of fun also. Any thoughts? Which car is likely to hold the value more? Which car would likely have the lower maintenance cost? (I realize I am not buying a Honda Accord, it won't be cheap). Which car will be the most fun on the road. I Doubt I would ever take it on a track. Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and get some input from the people who know the most have the valuable experience with these cars.

Thanks,
    DeeJay520

Don’t make the same mistake twice 😜

The e9X is the better DD. The e46 is the better weekend/fun car. Get whichever matches how you’ll use it.

So long as you lock down the vanos and subframe (not hard or expensive if you do it before failure), e46 running costs are pretty normal.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Between these two the e46 is much better for the occasional "special" fun drive use case.

Comment

Enjoyed the story. If its the E46 you always wanted, doesn't it have to be the E46?

Rhetorical questions aside, if you haven't ever driven both, it would make a lot of sense to go drive both. You don't want to find that you actually don't like the way one, or both, drive.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          Don’t make the same mistake twice 😜
          Exactly what I was thinking. Find a low mileage e46 in the spec/color you want and have fun! You just wrote a novel about how you wanted an e46, not an e92.

Comment

Back in the summer of '01 I put a $2k down payment here in Tucson and also $2k in Phoenix. The wait for me at that time was about two years til delivery for both dealers. My Prelude was on it's last leg and no way was I going to get two more years from it and I wasn't putting another dime in it. So, I found a dude online in Minnesota that was seeking to sell his #2 spot for $4K. Guess where the two deposits went... I wasn't happy about it, but four months later the M was delivered to my driveway and I haven't looked back since.

Comment

Waited 19 years to be able to get one. Finally did in 2019, love the CSL, it's well on its way there now. E46 for the special drives, and daily if you so wish.
              2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

I own both E46M and E92M. Without a doubt I would pick an E46 over E92. Not even a question. Maybe that is the reason I'm on my 4th E46M. Every time I sell it, I want it back.
                BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I also own both. 09 E92 DCT and 03 e46 6MT. The e46 is more needy in terms of preventative maintenance and in stock form I feel the e92 is more exciting. Do you plan on modding the car or keeping it stock? If you make some modifications to the e46 it becomes much more exciting.

Comment

The E46 M3 is God’s chariot. Do you want god’s chariot? Yes, yes you do.
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DeeJay520 View Post

Now, it's 20 years later, and I live in Manhattan. I do not need a car. In fact, it makes no sense to have one here, ...
                      Cliffnotes distillation.

You're right. It makes no sense in Manhattan. None.

Comment

This story only has one proper ending. You end up getting the e46 m3. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                          Enjoyed the story. If its the E46 you always wanted, doesn't it have to be the E46?

Rhetorical questions aside, if you haven't ever driven both, it would make a lot of sense to go drive both. You don't want to find that you actually don't like the way one, or both, drive.
                          I have not driven either, but sure how I would make that happen here in New York. However, you're right. it would make sense to drive both. However, from the responses I have seen here, I think the E46 is going to bring me the most joy.

Now I have to start looking for the right car and find a place to park it in NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeJay520 View Post

I have not driven either, but sure how I would make that happen here in New York. However, you're right. it would make sense to drive both. However, from the responses I have seen here, I think the E46 is going to bring me the most joy.

Now I have to start looking for the right car and find a place to park it in NYC.

Keep in mind you’re on an e46 forum. I bet I’d you asked in the e92 side you would see opposite results.
                            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

Keep in mind you’re on an e46 forum. I bet I’d you asked in the e92 side you would see opposite results.
                              like covid tests, those results won't mean anything

(okay okay settle down everyone it was a joke).

Comment

Working...
                              X