Broken SSV1 Section 1 Clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken SSV1 Section 1 Clamps

I recently purchased a SSV1 section 1 on which one of the clamp screws has snapped off. Has anyone ever just cut off all the screw clamps and replaced it with a more traditional exhaust clamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken ss section 1.PNG
Views:	335
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	89357
    Cut off the clamps circled in red and replace with.......

2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
    Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

You could use something like this.

Mishimoto Stainless Steel V-Band Clamps are some of the strongest and most reliable clamps on the market. Tailored especially for the fabricator, this 1.5" (38.1mm ) stainless steel V-band clamps provide a rigid and secure connection between intake, intercooler pipes, and exhaust pipes. The V-band design makes assembly and disassembly a breeze, and the included fabrication nut makes mock-up easy. Simply assemble the V-band clamp with the reusable nut, tack-weld your pipes in place and disassemble for final welding. Once you're done welding, assemble the clamp with the provided locking nut and never worry about loosening. The stainless steel construction resists heat and corrosion, while the 360-degree clamp ensures leak-free running. Like all our clamps, this 1.5" (38.1mm ) stainless-steel V-band clamp is backed by our Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty.

I had a set with one broken nut and after finding a stainless nut at the hardware store I paid a local welder $25 to weld it one, works fine. Not to say it won't break again though, those vbands would be the way to go I think.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

You can't do any of that, there's no clearance. Repair is best way
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I always wanted to vband my ssv1 setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
          You can't do any of that, there's no clearance. Repair is best way
          Would cutting the pipes before the expansion give you the needed clearance for a 2.5" vband? (cutting near the blue line)
          Attached Files
          Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

I don't think I plan on going to the extent of cutting off a section and welding on V-bands. Just want to try to keep it simple.

I think if I clock the clamps to where that screw part sticks out in the same area where the original screw clamp would be, there would be enough clearance. I'm more worried about if it's enough to create a good seal.
            2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
            Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT_M3 View Post

Would cutting the pipes before the expansion give you the needed clearance for a 2.5" vband? (cutting near the blue line)
              No, the clearance issue is along the top of the pipe all the way to first bend. The exhaust simply tucks up too close to the body. Plus, you’d need to extend the header section.

I’ve done vbands on the entire system but had to keep the slip joints for reasons explained.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

No, the clearance issue is along the top of the pipe all the way to first bend. The exhaust simply tucks up too close to the body. Plus, you’d need to extend the header section.

I’ve done vbands on the entire system but had to keep the slip joints for reasons explained.
                Makes sense, thanks for your 1st hand input.
                Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Jbf3 is correct. Weld it back on or have 2 nuts welded with bolt
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                  X