Harmonic Damper Locater Pin on Crankshaft Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmonic Damper Locater Pin on Crankshaft Broken

I took off the harmonic damper from my S54 and it took a piece of the locater pin with it. My engine is a 2002 with the 4 bolts holding the damper on. It looks like it was some sort of pin because there is a slot in the hub where the rest of the broken pin is stuck. I probed it a little with a drill and the steel is not very hard.

My question is this: Does this pin serve any purpose other than help when re-attaching the damper?

If I do need it replaced, any rec. on getting it out?

I have an after market ATI damper + pulley that I am replacing it with.

Thanks!

Mine sheared off as well. I think it's just a locator pin and doesn't serve any other purpose. In any case, mine has been that way for at least 20k mi and nothing bad or unusual has happened yet.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Great to hear. I figured as much. The metal used is very very soft. Thanks for the response!

Comment

This popped into my mind just now. It might go without saying, but make sure to line up the balancer with the crank in the same orientation that it was in before the pin sheared off.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I was able to drill out the sheared pin (the metal was significantly softer than the crank). So I cut a roll pin down and put it in there while I was doing my timing. I am still debating on whether or not I will keep it in there when I torque the HB on, or try to find another solid pin to replace it or just have nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshb556 View Post
            I am still debating on whether or not I will keep it in there when I torque the HB on, or try to find another solid pin to replace it or just have nothing.
            I would find a pin with similar mass as the stock one to keep the dynamic balance.

Comment

Working...
            X