Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences with turner front control arm monoball upgrade? Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with turner front control arm monoball upgrade? Alternatives?

It’s that time of year and doing the last bit of front suspension refresh. Going to be replacing the control arms and looking to go to a stiffer more performance based bushing. I’m not too bothered by NVH as car is mostly track / autocross use, with some occasional drives. Looks like the newer turner monoball bushing with the housing is a good option, anyone have experience with them? Other mentionable alternatives?

I believe the concensus is these are great for tracks but don't have any rubber sealing them. I don't know of any that do. If I'm not mistaken, Bimmerworld also makes some. I'd be more inclined to spend my money there than give it to ECStuning anyday.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post
      It’s that time of year and doing the last bit of front suspension refresh. Going to be replacing the control arms and looking to go to a stiffer more performance based bushing. I’m not too bothered by NVH as car is mostly track / autocross use, with some occasional drives. Looks like the newer turner monoball bushing with the housing is a good option, anyone have experience with them? Other mentionable alternatives?
      I installed them on my vehicle (street use) and they've been great. No complaints, would buy again. As you say, may as well do it while you're there.
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

I installed them on my vehicle (street use) and they've been great. No complaints, would buy again. As you say, may as well do it while you're there.
        +1 I got them and love them... just a bit of a pain to have to grease them regularly as they aren't a sealed joint... but atleast they can be greased... Monoball joints that aren't sealed or can't be maintained are what i consider to be track only... these can definitely be streeted.. Although i understand there was some quality issues with a few batches or something like that and the grease channel didnt work so they clunked... I luckily managed to avoid this I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
          I believe the concensus is these are great for tracks but don't have any rubber sealing them. I don't know of any that do. If I'm not mistaken, Bimmerworld also makes some. I'd be more inclined to spend my money there than give it to ECStuning anyday.
          Put a condom on them.

Comment

The Turner's are sealed, they are the only one who makes a sealed ball joint in this location that I am aware of.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

The Turner's are sealed, they are the only one who makes a sealed ball joint in this location that I am aware of.
              If you have to grease them, which you do, they aren't sealed. An example would be old Chevys ball joints versus your stock ones. Every oil change they would get good squirtin' whereas our ball joints are replaced if the grease leaks out.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I looked into Turner monoball too but settled with Bimmerworld trackCab delrin bushings. I didnt feel a need for spherical at this location since it's a single axis motion. Plus I didn't want to deal with the re-greasing.

The turner is actually a monoball encased with delrin, so the Bimmerworld should perform just as good while being simpler/cheaper

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

how's the nvh with the turner or bimmerworld?

Comment

If you have to grease them, which you do, they aren't sealed. An example would be old Chevys ball joints versus your stock ones. Every oil change they would get good squirtin' whereas our ball joints are replaced if the grease leaks out.
                    I see where you are going there but disagree. They do have a dust seal and a grease zerk, the seal is just the same as a wheel bearing, but we considered those sealed so why not this? Maybe we are just splitting hairs, I would consider a heim to be an unsealed joint and something with a boot that is greased to be sealed.
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I installed the Turner Monoball's before my last 3 events. I drive the car to and from the track (kinda sucks...) but you will notice a DECREASE in NVH over other options. I had Powerflex Black on previously so that may be a contributing factor. I am a big fan. Relatively easy to maintain and they perform as advertised. One of my favorite upgrades I made to the car when sorting out my track suspension setup. I would recommend them to someone else.

Edit: I also have their "sealed" RTABS which significantly lowered NVH as well.

Second edit: I have not had a chance to look at the Bimmerworld offering but if it is similar in functionality I would go with them. They are a pleasure to deal with, know our cars, won't sell you something you don't need, and will point you in the right direction.
                      Last edited by Fresh1179; 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM.
                      2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                        I installed the Turner Monoball's before my last 3 events. I drive the car to and from the track (kinda sucks...) but you will notice a DECREASE in NVH over other options. I had Powerflex Black on previously so that may be a contributing factor. I am a big fan. Relatively easy to maintain and they perform as advertised. One of my favorite upgrades I made to the car when sorting out my track suspension setup. I would recommend them to someone else.

Edit: I also have their "sealed" RTABS which significantly lowered NVH as well.

Second edit: I have not had a chance to look at the Bimmerworld offering but if it is similar in functionality I would go with them. They are a pleasure to deal with, know our cars, won't sell you something you don't need, and will point you in the right direction.
                        What sucked about driving to and from the track? Was it something specific with the monoball upgrade or just having to drive there in general?

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

What sucked about driving to and from the track? Was it something specific with the monoball upgrade or just having to drive there in general?
                          It was just having to drive there in general. I’ve ripped a lot out of car so it’s pretty loud in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                          [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

It was just having to drive there in general. I’ve ripped a lot out of car so it’s pretty loud in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Haha yeah get that. I currently drive to the track as well. Balance of how far to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
                              I looked into Turner monoball too but settled with Bimmerworld trackCab delrin bushings. I didnt feel a need for spherical at this location since it's a single axis motion. Plus I didn't want to deal with the re-greasing.

The turner is actually a monoball encased with delrin, so the Bimmerworld should perform just as good while being simpler/cheaper

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
                              I thought the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X