Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help sorting out my bell housing bolts please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help sorting out my bell housing bolts please!

Hey everyone. Been a while since I have posted on here. My engine blew. Got it rebuilt (machine shop held it hostage for like 7 months). In that time I got covid, school started again, and I was busy with work. M3 got put to the back of the list but as it is warming up I am more motivated to finish! Plus I keep seeing e46 m3's around and want to drive mine

Anyway... I have lots of experience with this car but it has been nearly a year since I last took it apart. I am in the re-assembly process and am noticing that im missing some trans bolts

You can see I have attached a photo of the bolts I do have.
    According to Realoem I need
    -3x M8x50
    -2x M10x65
    -2x M12x50 23001222891
    -2x M12x90 23002282241

So right off the bat I clearly have the 3 M8 bolts. Check. I have 1 of the M10 bolts. So I will order another one of those.

But I am left with 2 matching, gold, m12 bolts. They appear to be the same length as the m8x50 bolts and slightly shorter than the m10x65 so I will assume they are 50mm.

However, when I look up photos of the M12x50 P/N I get a completely different bolt. It is a grey bolt with a large shoulder similar to the m10.

When I look up photos of the m12x90 I see gold bolts and a small shoulder similar to the ones i have... but the ones I have are def not 90mm.

I feel like a complete dummy right now... can someone please point out what im doing wrong and what I need to order? I am so lost. Thank you!

Real OEM link for context
    Attached Files

They look so familiar, but they aren't used to mount the trans to the engine. I don't recall what they are for. See step 12 here:
    https://www.mforum.net/forum/e90-m3-...ual-conversion

Comment

It looks like you need the two M12x90. They're def longer than the two on the right of your photo (looks similar, just much longer). They were plated a gold/yellow color. And they were expensive - I think $27 each from the dealer when I got mine.

Also, be sure you have the two dowels (#5 in the diagram), it's not optional.
      Last edited by Will; 03-07-2021, 03:13 PM. Reason: Added reminder about dowels.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
        It looks like you need the two M12x90. They're def longer than the two on the right of your photo (looks similar, just much longer). They were plated a gold/yellow color. And they were expensive - I think $27 each from the dealer when I got mine.

Also, be sure you have the two dowels (#5 in the diagram), it's not optional.
        Thank you for the reply. Do you think my two m12's that I do have are from another part of the car? And yes I have the dowels

Originally posted by Nuclear Rabbit View Post
        They look so familiar, but they aren't used to mount the trans to the engine. I don't recall what they are for. See step 12 here:
        https://www.mforum.net/forum/e90-m3-...ual-conversion
        Thanks for the response. I saw the when I was doing some research. Doesn't look like that photo is correct. It shows the small M8 bolts are having a shoulder. Online the photos show no shoulder/full thread. Maybe they changed the style up

Both of you seem to hint that these m12's I have are not for the trans. Ill pick up 5 new bolts then. 2 of the m12x50, 2 of the m12x90, and 1 of the m10 im missing. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

Thank you for the reply. Do you think my two m12's that I do have are from another part of the car? And yes I have the dowels

Thanks for the response. I saw the when I was doing some research. Doesn't look like that photo is correct. It shows the small M8 bolts are having a shoulder. Online the photos show no shoulder/full thread. Maybe they changed the style up

Both of you seem to hint that these m12's I have are not for the trans. Ill pick up 5 new bolts then. 2 of the m12x50, 2 of the m12x90, and 1 of the m10 im missing. thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if the two m12x50 are same as you already have (two bolts most furthest right in your photo).
          Attached Files

Comment

There are 4 large M12 bolts. Two long ones go above the oil pan in the bottom of the block. The two short ones go up top into the block.

Two M10 bolts which go into the starter

3 M8 bolts which go into the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              There are 4 large M12 bolts. Two long ones go above the oil pan in the bottom of the block. The two short ones go up top into the block.

Two M10 bolts which go into the starter

3 M8 bolts which go into the oil pan.
              Thank you so much🙏🏼

Comment

Working...
              X