S54 Vanos post Beisan/DV Rebuild Timing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post

From that one sample of command to move EX to max advanced position (zero deg is max advanced and 45 deg is max retarded), 5 deg adaptation makes no sense, and so I think the test had performed moving at a few positions and then averaged out the error to a value of 5. You only posted one sample data and so we haven't seen the other values, I think.
    That screenshot (diagnosis) is the vanos adaptation values from a different place in DIS. The test I did stopped after showing me the following intake values, it did not get as far as the exhaust values.

I am not sure if it is saying it failed on the inlet or the exhaust being out of range (photo below)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220126_193929_com.microsoft.translator_edit_399006259338073.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	150393

Comment

Btw, Neither 60 deg and 0 deg are the correct absolute working cam angles. Their working range are: IN [70: 130] after TDC and EX [-83 : -128] before TDC.
      Are you saying my mechanical timing is 10° off? Because it's stating 60° while 70 is the minimum range starting point?

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

Are you saying my mechanical timing is 10° off? Because it's stating 60° while 70 is the minimum range starting point?
        The test did not use the absolute true timing angle, which is [70 to 130] for IN, but it used a relative range from 0 to 60. So 0 is 70 position and 60 is 130 position.
        I think your vanos timing is perfect, as the test didn't say anything wrong.

Comment

sapote

One thing I did notice was that the exhaust piston was easy to slide in and out, could slide down jsut by turning the vanos on its end. While the intake piston was a little more resistant (better seal?)

Maybe the exhaust side did not seal well with my replacement piston from another vanos because the inside seal was already worn to the original piston size? Perhaps this is causing my issue with the advance/retard part of exhaust test?

Could this be a possibility?

It can't be the actual timing if my pin slides in and bridge is flat when at TDC right? (It's easy butter slide for exhaust, and little resistant to slide but still slides easily enough for intake)

I couldn't have done anything wrong when using a solid tensioner? Maybe too much or too little tension did something?

Comment

sapote

One thing I did notice was that the exhaust piston was easy to slide in and out, could slide down jsut by turning the vanos on its end. While the intake piston was a little more resistant (better seal?)

Maybe the exhaust side did not seal well with my replacement piston from another vanos because the inside seal was already worn to the original piston size? Perhaps this is causing my issue with the advance/retard part of exhaust test?

Could this be a possibility?

It can't be the actual timing if my pin slides in and bridge is flat when at TDC right? (It's easy butter slide for exhaust, and little resistant to slide but still slides easily enough for intake)

I couldn't have done anything wrong when using a solid tensioner? Maybe too much or too little tension did something?
            Can you test the vanos using INPA as I think it's easy to understand the result as shown below? Yours test tool is hard to understand, i.e. why for Intake, it reported 60 deg movement (or it could mean moved to max retarded at 130 after TDC) while for EX it reported zero (or it could mean moved to -128 max advanced before TDC).

Comment

Can you test the vanos using INPA as I think it's easy to understand the result as shown below? Yours test tool is hard to understand, i.e. why for Intake, it reported 60 deg movement (or it could mean moved to max retarded at 130 after TDC) while for EX it reported zero (or it could mean moved to -128 max advanced before TDC).

Where do I go to run test for vanos in INPA?

Thanks!

Comment

Google it if you already have INPA installed.

Comment

Google it if you already have INPA installed.
                  I did, it shows nothing and I see no vanos options in my INPA unfortunately.

I will keep trying.

​​​​​​do you think it could be down to an error (that somehow has manifested now) with my camshaft position sensors? Or throttle position sensors?

Maybe the exhaust one to be specific?

Comment

​​​​​​do you think it could be down to an error (that somehow has manifested now) with my camshaft position sensors? Or throttle position sensors?

Maybe the exhaust one to be specific?
                    From your test report, I don't see any difference between DME commanded timing valves and the actual values so things look fine, and I don't understand why it used 5 deg adaptation when there is no error in the timing.

Comment

Not sure if this would help or not but it appears tool32 can pull vanos information.

I'm trying to do a vanos test using INPA but it seems like it's missing that and some other functions. I can connect to the car and get error codes and engine data like rpm, temperature, etc. but it doesn't appear to be fully functional. I've tried two different DCAN cables with the same results. I've reinstalled INPA several
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

I did, it shows nothing and I see no vanos options in my INPA unfortunately.
                        Maybe maupineda can tell us how he got the INPA test report.

Comment

The menus maybe different, but I go into the DME and from there I choose F6, which typically is “activate” menu, then once there I choose VANOS menu, which is F6 also in the Z4M. So, to recap I do…

1 choose your chassis
                          2 choose the DME module
                          3 F6 activate options
                          4 F6 VANOS Menu

it gives the adaptations as shown but also the requested v actuals when the engine is running
                          Last edited by maupineda; 01-28-2022, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The “true” VANOS test is done with DIS.

Comment

Questions and comments:
                              Why the test only commanded the vanos to move Intake to 130 deg (max retarded which is an easy motion) and not to 70 deg (max advanced which is a more difficult motion)? And, for the Ex cam, why commanded to to to max advanced (128 deg) instead of max retarded (83 deg)?

ISTA test value:
                              For exhaust cam: The actual steering advanced is 128, which is perfect. But the actual steering retarded is 79, which is not too good when the command value is 83 I assume. So 4 deg off here.
                              For intake cam: 70 deg advanced and 130 retarded and so they are perfect with zero error.
                              the DME commanded both, if you look at the images you will see it went to both opposite ends for both cams.

about your comment on the exhaust side being 4deg off, that is not the case. The DME commanded 80, and saw 79, that is just 1deg off, and yes, though not perfect, the adaptations would offset that.

For the Z4M the results are laid out differently, but values are the same. Also ISTA reports the range that is acceptable for DME, all my values where right in the middle (nominal) except for the exhaust, which was 1deg off from the mid point.
                              Last edited by maupineda; 01-29-2022, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Okay so someone help me understand what the hell is going on!

Situation.

New/2nd hand vanos. (Used exhaust piston from my old vanos as this ones piston was missing a seal)
                                Vanos pressure tests confirm hot engine pressure of 115 bar.
                                Leakdown fast, accumulator still bad.

Engine timed as per using the solid tensioner and standard preload method.

Engine turned over 10 times post vanos install. Checked at TDC.

Exhaust, bridge flat, pin slides in like butter.
                                Inlet, bridge flat, pin needs some pressure to slide in.

Ecuworx tool shows (photo):
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220126_191302_edit_399420360547906.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	150298

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20220126_190914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	150289

Exhaust 5.0 adaptation?!
                                Inlet shows -1.0 (makes sense as pin didn't slide in easy but bridge did lay flat)

DIS shows (photo) the same adaptations.

Vanos test FAILS?! - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! (photo)

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20220126_193929_com.microsoft.translator_edit_399006259338073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	150291

​​​​image widget
                                i translated this, and the message seems to be more of an error during the test routine. I saw you posted after the car passes, but if this was an actual error I would initially thought bad timing or a severe leak through the pistons seals or valve body.

“last entered vanos position is outside the tolerance range.
                                method:
                                control times: check vanos hydraulic unit“

Comment

Working...
                                X