Garage lift recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpaceJockey View Post
    +1 for the Atlas 4 Post. Love mine. Obioban's 4-Post/QuikJack Combo is next level. Got me thinking...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	90692
    What was cost plus install? I am looking into getting one but first need to get a car to park underneath it

Comment

What are the floor requirements? Does an engineer have to come out?

Comment

Also height requirements would be ideal.

building a home currently and the builder is limited to 9ft per city permits. I want to see my options but might end up hiring a contractor afterwards to raise the ceiling in the garage. 1 story, so nothing is above it but attic space.

quickjack is a must, lift is the dream if I can make it fit.

Dont need to store a car under, but if you have those heights too I guess shoot them over!
        2006 ILB | M-Texture

Comment

I haven’t looked into this project in a little while, but I was getting quotes from $4-6k plus the cost of a new vertical garage motor and re-routing the rails to accommodate for additional clearance.

what are you guys paying for 4 post lifts?
          Last edited by 02_lsb; 03-11-2021, 06:46 AM.
          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Just DIY the lift install :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              Just DIY the lift install :P

so I considered that option. It looks like the posts are pretty heavy and may require some type of heavy equipment to lift.

can you comment on that?
              Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

so I considered that option. It looks like the posts are pretty heavy and may require some type of heavy equipment to lift.

can you comment on that?
                The ramps (or whatever - the platforms the car sits on) are the heavy part. A buddy and I were able to move them into place using a floor jack and his above average strength. That is the hardest part. Posts are heavy but not impossible. However, I bought my lift from Greg Smith Equipment and had to have a forklift handy to remove it from the truck. Luckily I had a buddy with one.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

can you comment on that?
                  I used my dad’s tractor and a pulley system we jury rigged to get the posts up for our old 2 post.

4 post posts are pretty small/light— could do by hand.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post

What was cost plus install? I am looking into getting one but first need to get a car to park underneath it
                    This is what I purchased:

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceJockey View Post
                      did you install it yourself?

Comment

My wife or teenage son is going to park their œdriver car under my stored car. What are my options?

Good luck. You may want to consider buying an extra wide lift or positioning your lift "crosswise" in the front of your garage...(or building a new larger garage).

Comment

I have a generic 9000lb 2 post I bought from DMS Equipment in Missouri. It was about $2900 installed. For my purposes, a 4 post wasn't the right option because I wanted unfettered access underneath. My shop is also 1800 square feet, so the stackable storage wasn't a particular need.

I could've opted to spend nearly twice as much on a Bendpak/Atlas/Mohawk but let's be honest here, I'm a hobbyist, not a day-in, day-out shop tech. I had my diesel F250 up on it 30 minutes after it was installed and it had zero issues. I've had to adjust the cables a time or two, but that's a given with any lift. Have been very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post

did you install it yourself?
                            Yes. Simple and straight forward so long as you have the muscle to move the pieces around.

Comment

Maxjax has great clearance for slammed mambo jambo. Hasn't been a car i couldn't lift at home...

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Other than that, 4 post is easier for maintenance. Fluid changes are way easier, cooling system stuff is easier, and most suspension stuff needs preload-- so also easier.
                                I agree that just driving onto the lift is easier when you begin the work. Beyond that there's no difference for fluids or cooling. Preload is consideration but don't forget if you plan to do any suspension work that necessitates removal/replacement, you're going to need to an auxiliary lift on the 4 post. That's why I like the 2 post and the final tightening (but a sliver of the job) or preload is handled by setting the vehicle down on some blocking.

The OP should consider how often he's removing wheels, too.
                                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Working...
                                X