Garage lift recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage lift recommendations

What do you have and what is your experience?

Starting to shop for a lift - was thinking Bendpack and one of their 2 post lifts - but bottom of the jack blocks on my car are 3.75" off the floor and not sure one will fit... That leaves 4 post with a rolling jack.

Thx!

'01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

If you only have one left, I think a 4 post plus a rolling jack or quick jack is the best option. Having a 4 post lets you stack cars for parking, makes wheels on work (fluid changes, etc), and makes it possible to do anything that required the car to be preloaded. 2 posts have some things there better at, but if you can only have one lift... I think a 4 post is the way to go.

I used to have a 2 post. My current setup is as below. I'll be recreating my current setup at the house I'm building right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4897.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	90530

.. that said, at my new house I'm going to have a 2 bay shop. I'm debating if the second lift should be another 4 post, or a 2 post to have one of each...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I 2nd the 4 post w/rolling jack, that quick jack would be a great addition as well.
      I use a 4 post and its just fine for most jobs, certain suspension related jobs would be easier on a 2 post but there is generally a way to get it done on a 4.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Make a list, weigh your pros and cons.
        2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

A 4 post hoist in my garage is the dream. Maybe once I stop spending copious amounts of money on the M3 I'll buy a hoist haha

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            If you only have one left, I think a 4 post plus a rolling jack or quick jack is the best option. Having a 4 post lets you stack cars for parking, makes wheels on work (fluid changes, etc), and makes it possible to do anything that required the car to be preloaded. 2 posts have some things there better at, but if you can only have one lift... I think a 4 post is the way to go.

I used to have a 2 post. My current setup is as below. I'll be recreating my current setup at the house I'm building right now.

.. that said, at my new house I'm going to have a 2 bay shop. I'm debating if the second lift should be another 4 post, or a 2 post to have one of each...

what brand lift is it? Can you share the cost, installed?
            Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Is that a quick jack on top of a 4 post? Quick jacks are great. But would prefer a 4 post or 2 post though as they are still not as easy of driving up to the lift and raising the car.

Comment

From a pure maintenance standpoint, I think its difficult to argue with the maximum underside access a 2 post provides. If you need the car settled on suspension for setup, or want to store a car underneath, then I can appreciate the 4 post option. I have a 2 post and have never used a 4 post, so take that for what its worth, but I would make the same decision all day long.

The Atlas BP8000 is suited for low ceiling garages (if that's an issue) and the jack pads are 3 1/2" minimum height. All of those mattered to me so that's why I selected it.
                Last edited by jbfrancis3; 03-10-2021, 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                  From a pure maintenance standpoint, I think its difficult to argue with the maximum underside access a 2 post provides. If you need the car settled on suspension for setup, or want to store a car underneath, then I can appreciate the 4 post option. I have a 2 post and have never used a 4 post, so take that for what its worth, but I would make the same decision all day long.

The Atlas BP8000 is suited for low ceiling garages (if that's an issue) and the jack pads are 3 1/2" minimum height. All of those mattered to me so that's why I selected it.
                  From a maintenance standpoint, most of it is easier with a 4 post. You just drive on and lift the car-- no careful positioning of the car and/or arms, or jacking the car to fit the arms under (if you're lowered).

The only maintenance I can think of that was easier on my 2 post than my 4 post was brake stuff. Even then, sticking the quick jack in isn't particularly more work than positioning the arms used to be.

Other than that, 4 post is easier for maintenance. Fluid changes are way easier, cooling system stuff is easier, and most suspension stuff needs preload-- so also easier.

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

what brand lift is it? Can you share the cost, installed?
                  It's a "Direct Lift", but I don't necessarily recommend it-- came with the house.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I have a two post and a scissor lift. Will likely add a 4-post this year. They all have their advantages. I have the scissor because my garage was not high enough before I moved. Then I got the two post as my garage/shop now has plenty of height. Would like to round it out with a 4-post due to the advantages it has to offer not the least of which will be storage of my track car in the winter.

Comment

I contemplated this for a long time, eventually went with a 4-post due to ability to store the car under, and not having to worry about suspension hanging. The only thing you can't do on a 4-post is some suspension work, but with a setup like Ians' - there is no limit. I loved my Atlas HD8000 so much, I bought second one.

BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

What if u wanted to pull the engine, or engien and trans, drop the rear subframe...would the 4 post put up any barriers to that?

Comment

Damn you guys making me jealous. My underbody would be showroom mint if I had a garage/lift like these would make working on the car so fun

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                            Taking the e36 for a spin is no brief task

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

+1 for the Atlas 4 Post. Love mine. Obioban's 4-Post/QuikJack Combo is next level. Got me thinking...

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	90692

Comment

Working...
                              X