Front Main Seal Install Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Main Seal Install Tips

I've got an oil leak coming from the front of my engine. I've recently done the valve cover gasket, VANOS gasket, VANOS solenoid gasket, timing chain tensioner crush washer, high pressure VANOS oil line and crush washers, bolt that holds the driver's side timing chain guide, timing cover gaskets for both sides, oil cooler lines o-rings, and oil filter housing gasket. I plan on taking off the front clip and thoroughly cleaning everything to find where the leak is coming from.

To fully clean the front of the engine I'm going to have to pull the harmonic balancer, which means I have to replace the four bolts that hold it to the crankshaft. I figured if I've done all this work, why not replace the front main seal. I previously had to take off the timing chain cover and already replaced this seal, but had a really hard time getting the new one in. I destroyed the first seal I tried to install, which leads me to believe that I may have installed the second one incorrectly and that this is the source of my leak. I'm assuming oil has been flung around by the harmonic balancer and that's why it's covering the front of my engine.

Since I've previously had trouble installing this seal, I figured I would ask to see if anyone had any tips for installing it. I found this thread after looking for a similar one I remember from M3Forum, but any other information would be appreciated. Thanks!
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

I'm planning on tackling this on Saturday. Current plan is to lube the seal with engine oil, slide it on by hand as much as possible using the plastic cup method in the link above, and seating it with a 48 mm socket.

I'm assuming the seal should be flat against the timing chain cover once installed, but someone please correct me if this is not the case.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

When I pulled it apart a couple days ago it was flush with the outer surface of the timing chain cover.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by Mspir3d View Post
        When I pulled it apart a couple days ago it was flush with the outer surface of the timing chain cover.
        Nice. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X