Subframe Fix in Pacific Northwest--Seattle area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe Fix in Pacific Northwest--Seattle area

I'm not sure, but think my subframe is cracking (occasional metal on metal clunk in right rear).

Does anyone have a PNW reputable shop that's done this fix?

Thanks

Check with Parker Davis at Broad Stroke Auto in Snohomish, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by bmeek View Post
      I'm not sure, but think my subframe is cracking (occasional metal on metal clunk in right rear).

Does anyone have a PNW reputable shop that's done this fix?

Thanks
      AR Auto Service in Portland. They have a ton of E46 M3 track/race experience, and have spent plenty of time building those cars up. I know multiple people who live in Seattle and trailer their E46 M3s to and from Portland.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

+1 to AR Auto Service. I had multiple shops refer me to them for this type of work. I haven’t yet worked out when I’ll be getting this work done, but I’ll plan to take it to them once I do. They do have a fair lead time for scheduling service as FYI
        2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
        [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

I can support the AR suggestion. My car has had the rear subframe, rod bearings, 6MT swap, VANOS and a 1/2 cage welded in with them. I can also vouch for Seattle folks trailering their cars to them...I was at the track last weekend and I can think of 6 people that live in Seattle metro and have AR work on their car.

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with them but I've heard AMS in Tacoma is decent.
            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
            Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Bumping this thread. Any other shops that you guys have used in the Seattle area? I'm looking to install the Redish v3 plates (already have them on order)

I reached out to both AR and AMS, but suspect I need someone else.

AMS looked promising. They said they had done multiple installs and even had experience with the CMP topside beam as well. And when I asked about corrosion prevention, they talked about the right steps being employed (weld-thru primer, seam sealer, primer, paint, underbody coating). However, they've gone completely silent and that's a bit concerning.

AR, besides being far away for me, was surprised when I asked about corrosion prevention - said that customers don't usually ask that question. He claimed just primer+paint, which is not enough for me. He also said they use the Bimmerworld kit and had no experience with Redish.

Broad Stroke / Strictly BMW / Car Tender etc don't do body work.

Haury's Collision is a high-end shop that I would absolutely trust with body work like this, and has lots of experience with the underbody plates (including Redish V2). However, they are very expensive. Also, they don't have experience with topside braces (Vincebar/CMP etc), so the v3 plates would a first for them. I might end up going with them for peace of mind, but I'd prefer to explore more options that are easier on the wallet.
              2005 ZCP 6spd Coupe, Interlagos / Cinn

Comment

Originally posted by anykarthik View Post
                Bumping this thread. Any other shops that you guys have used in the Seattle area? I'm looking to install the Redish v3 plates (already have them on order)

I reached out to both AR and AMS, but suspect I need someone else.

AMS looked promising. They said they had done multiple installs and even had experience with the CMP topside beam as well. And when I asked about corrosion prevention, they talked about the right steps being employed (weld-thru primer, seam sealer, primer, paint, underbody coating). However, they've gone completely silent and that's a bit concerning.

AR, besides being far away for me, was surprised when I asked about corrosion prevention - said that customers don't usually ask that question. He claimed just primer+paint, which is not enough for me. He also said they use the Bimmerworld kit and had no experience with Redish.

Broad Stroke / Strictly BMW / Car Tender etc don't do body work.

Haury's Collision is a high-end shop that I would absolutely trust with body work like this, and has lots of experience with the underbody plates (including Redish V2). However, they are very expensive. Also, they don't have experience with topside braces (Vincebar/CMP etc), so the v3 plates would a first for them. I might end up going with them for peace of mind, but I'd prefer to explore more options that are easier on the wallet.
                I worked with AMS when i did the VANOS and RACP reinforcement (using CMP underside plates). Had a great experience with them and would recommend to anyone. It's a small shop which might explain the communication challenges, although in my experience they were responsive, provided in-progress updates, and were responsive to questions when they had the car. Their pricing is also pretty competitive which I expect is made possible by them being a small shop.

I've also worked with Haury's Collision, although for a much different purpose. I had an OEM CSL trunklid painted and installed by them. Overall had a great experience but would agree that they aren't necessarily cheap.

While I did recommend AR earlier in this thread, I ultimately opted to go in another direction due to what they quoted me for the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by keljos View Post

I worked with AMS when i did the VANOS and RACP reinforcement (using CMP underside plates). Had a great experience with them and would recommend to anyone. It's a small shop which might explain the communication challenges, although in my experience they were responsive, provided in-progress updates, and were responsive to questions when they had the car. Their pricing is also pretty competitive which I expect is made possible by them being a small shop.

I've also worked with Haury's Collision, although for a much different purpose. I had an OEM CSL trunklid painted and installed by them. Overall had a great experience but would agree that they aren't necessarily cheap.

While I did recommend AR earlier in this thread, I ultimately opted to go in another direction due to what they quoted me for the subframe.
                  That's encouraging to hear about AMS. Maybe he'll get back to me before I give up and go with Haury's
                  Last edited by anykarthik; 04-13-2022, 11:53 AM.
                  2005 ZCP 6spd Coupe, Interlagos / Cinn

Comment

+1 for AR

While I've done most of the work on both my race car and street car, I've had AR do my alignments. They've always done fantastic work. It's not often you can drop off a race car with a complicated aftermarket suspension and get it dialed to exactly the specs that you want without problems. And I've seen the work done on friends cars - from cages to transmission swaps or whatever - and the work is all super high quality.
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I have the full CMP package. I may reach out to AMS as I'm up on the Olympic Peninsula.. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Comment

I would also say that AMS specializes in E46 M3s to some extent. They seemed to be extremely familiar with the platform and had a couple project cars in the shop when I brought mine in.

Comment

Originally posted by keljos View Post
                          Do you mind sharing the quote? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
                          2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

I know of at least one dedicated track E46 M3 that is a serious build done and maintained by AMS.
                            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post

Do you mind sharing the quote? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
                              I'm strongly in favor of transparency, happy to share. They quoted me around $3.4K to reinforce the subframe ($950 in parts, $2,450 in labor). That includes the cost of the underside plates which I had already sourced through CMP, however they expressed some hesitation from deviating from their playbook which is to use the Bimmerworld Subframe Repair Kit. AMS quoted a much lower amount for labor and were happy to use the CMP plates I already had.

Comment

Working...
                              X