No announcement yet.

What is this and should it be hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I am close to just leaving it unplugged. I never drive in the winter and chasing electrical gremlins makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Is there any risk to just leaving it unplugged or why not just switch to the single unit like BMW did for the CSL?
    Last edited by Thonas; 03-29-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
      I think I am close to just leaving it unplugged. I never drive in the winter and chasing electrical gremlins makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Is there any risk to just leaving it unplugged or why not just switch to the single unit like BMW did for the CSL?
      Why, well single E46 non-M unit still has the water valve. They’re separate units on the same perch.
      Right now as I understand your issue, the Aux Pump (tall cylinder next to valve with plug on top) is not your issue of being hot always. That’s your water valve, the small one. Taking out the Aux Pump doesn’t address the valve.
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

If I have current flowing to the connector plug that connects to the small cylinder when everything is off then I have an issue in the control panel?
        Checking it (unplugged from valve) that should mean valve is not triggering it. (although must mention it does not completely exclude it as being original reason for any shorts upstream)
        A short in the wiring somewhere (which usually blows a fuse) was why check fuses.
        More common it’s in the control panel, was told some resistor goes wacky sending signal to valve. Panel sending signal much more common than short somewhere in wiring.

If you need to get a used panel, it’s one less step from an M3 because it’s already coded for Aux Pump. Non-m will not be coded for Aux Pump and it’ll store a fault code if that matters. I suppose if you’re already planning on Aux Pump delete for more clearance for CSL intake then used non-M control panel one step in that direction. Ha, it won’t need to be coded out.

You got this, sorry didn’t mean to scare you. It’s basically 1 of 3 things. Now looks like down to two.
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
          Checking it (unplugged from valve) that should mean valve is not triggering it. (although must mention it does not completely exclude it as being original reason for any shorts upstream)
          A short in the wiring somewhere (which usually blows a fuse) was why check fuses.
          More common it’s in the control panel, was told some resistor goes wacky sending signal to valve. Panel sending signal much more common than short somewhere in wiring.

If you need to get a used panel, it’s one less step from an M3 because it’s already coded for Aux Pump. Non-m will not be coded for Aux Pump and it’ll store a fault code if that matters. I suppose if you’re already planning on Aux Pump delete for more clearance for CSL intake then used non-M control panel one step in that direction. Ha, it won’t need to be coded out.

You got this, sorry didn’t mean to scare you. It’s basically 1 of 3 things. Now looks like down to two.
          Thanks! I think I am going the route of eliminating the aux pump to help in clearance of the turner CSL box and fix this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post

I don't mean to hijack this tread, but on the subject of fuses in this water valve, I have a related issue & question. For about a year, my '03 vert has shown Code 16 - IHKA: Relay, auxiliary heater - that according to my Schwaben scanner. I've done a considerable amount of searching around, but can't positively identify a relay for this valve. Unlike the one at issue here, I have no heating issue, no operational or functional issues at all. I just can't positively identify the cause of the fault nor can I clear it. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
            Thanks.

Comment

Does anyone have the part number for the single unit that is installed on the CSL? or is it just any of the non-M versions? Thanks

Comment

Does anyone have the part number for the single unit that is installed on the CSL? or is it just any of the non-M versions? Thanks
                64118369805, same as any non M

Comment

Originally posted by BIllybilly2 View Post

64118369805, same as any non M
                  Thanks!!

Comment

So this is what killed my battery...Thanks for the thread, I didn't ever investigate, but I couldn't understand why this thing was so hot when I was doing the CSL box install a while back and I just ignored it at the time to my wallets detriment.

Comment

Working...
                    X