Originally posted by Stack
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Karbonius
Collapse
X
-
Yeah, the flap is a pretty significant contributor to the complexity of the project too. I put in all the effort to add it in and now I have it programmed to be always open in sport mode (both modes have throttle pedal remapped to my preference, which is basically linear). There is no drivability difference compared to my comfort mode, which uses stock CSL sport mode flap settings. At least two local shops who see a lot of conversions have been really impressed with how well it drives ... I put it down to the PCS tune and MAP sensor. I always run the car in flap open mode, so it was kind of a waste of effort. I'd do the race style next time and skip modifying the DME and adding the extra wiring.Originally posted by Obioban View Post
I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.
Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
So the only cold air ducting you run is the kidney grille piece? Nothing from the fake brake duct area?
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
That's why I'm not running the ducts.Originally posted by CheckA View Post
Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?
It's in the OE location on the clean side of the filter. Not the best picture, but the first one I found in my library where you can see it:
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?Originally posted by Obioban View Post
I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.
Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
Leave a comment:
-
I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View PostI'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.
Race:
vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:https://karbonius.net/producto/bmw-m...ox-fullcarbon/
https://karbonius.net/producto/bmw-m3-e46-snorkel/
In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?
I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.
EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.
Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
You’ll want to get a proper tune.
I tried a few tuners before finally going to Randy at Epic Motorsports. He fixed all the issues I had with an alpha n tune. Can’t recommend him enough… he’s been around for years and many of the racers in Nasa/scca run his software.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
I'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.
Race:
vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:https://karbonius.net/producto/bmw-m...ox-fullcarbon/
https://karbonius.net/producto/bmw-m3-e46-snorkel/
In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?
I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.
EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 05-30-2021, 04:17 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Support the little man, buy direct they're good peeps and accommodating.
- Likes 2
Leave a comment:
-
The back hole uses a series of peices to pull colder air from down in the black plastic cover panel/brake duct area. There is a 3D computer image of this somewhere on the forums that let's you see what's going on a bit easier.Originally posted by CheckA View PostThe only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?
I used a section of brake ducting to connect the smaller hole to the brake duct after seeing another member do the same.
Sharing with the group how I created ducting to my Karbonius airbox with the OEM flap using the standard M3's bumper. The goal is to feed air: - to the snorkel, which is upsteam of (before) the flap on the OEM piece, or just the snorkel itself on the Karbonius snorkel. The snorkel is the beginning section off some airboxes that
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
The race version may see cooler intake temps due to the shape especially when NOT using a CSL style front bumper as many won't be using.
I like the look of the OE snorkel/flap and actually found wiring the flap worth my while after low speed drivability was improved a bit and what felt like was maybe even some low end torque gained at low speed as well.
One thing that's nice about the factory snorkel assembly (or Karb equiv.) is you can drill a hole down at the "mouth" of it and mount your IAT there for less heatsoak. The stock CSL IAT location does see quite a bit of heatsoak, after relocating the sensor and using the Eventuri piece that ducts more air into the hole in the brake duct I have seen my IAT temps drop significantly.
- Likes 2
Leave a comment:
-
I emailed them
The race box is just has a built in snorkel
Instead of adding one it’s 1 piece
I see ECS has the race box cheaper 🤫
I went with a regular version awaiting the batch from IND
AP Motorsport in the UK has them in stock
I’ve emailed them as well
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leave a comment:
-
The only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?
Leave a comment:
-
I asked them about this two weeks ago as probably going to order one in the next month. They said no difference in sound, which I wouldn't really expect there to be, seems to be the same airbox other than the bolt on part for the snorkel. Going to go with the "racebox" since I see no need for the flap.Originally posted by CheckA View PostDoes anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Does anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the advise!
Karbonius + snorkel, straight from K!
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: