Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karbonius

In the market for Karbonius CSL intake.
    Is it better to order straight from Karb or ECS?
    Any other suggestions - Flap, snorkel.

Thanks!

Order through Karb, they have fantastic support

Comment

I 2nd ordering straight from them. And if you aren’t dead-set on the flap, get their snorkel in carbon. Adding the flap adds a good of work from the research to the installation.
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Direct. Don’t give ECS any money where you don’t have to.

They’re a great company to buy from. Their support is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
        2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Thanks for the advise!
          Karbonius + snorkel, straight from K!

Comment

Does anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckA View Post
              Does anyone know the performance and sound difference between their regular vs race boxes? Seem like their race box is cheaper since you don’t have to spent extra for snorkel.
              I asked them about this two weeks ago as probably going to order one in the next month. They said no difference in sound, which I wouldn't really expect there to be, seems to be the same airbox other than the bolt on part for the snorkel. Going to go with the "racebox" since I see no need for the flap.

Comment

The only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?

Comment

I emailed them

The race box is just has a built in snorkel
                  Instead of adding one it’s 1 piece

I see ECS has the race box cheaper 🤫

I went with a regular version awaiting the batch from IND

AP Motorsport in the UK has them in stock
                  I’ve emailed them as well

Comment

The race version may see cooler intake temps due to the shape especially when NOT using a CSL style front bumper as many won't be using.

I like the look of the OE snorkel/flap and actually found wiring the flap worth my while after low speed drivability was improved a bit and what felt like was maybe even some low end torque gained at low speed as well.

One thing that's nice about the factory snorkel assembly (or Karb equiv.) is you can drill a hole down at the "mouth" of it and mount your IAT there for less heatsoak. The stock CSL IAT location does see quite a bit of heatsoak, after relocating the sensor and using the Eventuri piece that ducts more air into the hole in the brake duct I have seen my IAT temps drop significantly.
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by CheckA View Post
                      The only advantage I see from the snorkel is if you are looking to connect the air ducts/hoses to the front bumper air inlet for cold air. Which leads me to the next question about air ducts. How is the unfiltered section of the box connect to the air inlet? I see the box has the opening at the bottom for air duct, but where does that lead to exactly?
                      The back hole uses a series of peices to pull colder air from down in the black plastic cover panel/brake duct area. There is a 3D computer image of this somewhere on the forums that let's you see what's going on a bit easier.

I used a section of brake ducting to connect the smaller hole to the brake duct after seeing another member do the same.

Sharing with the group how I created ducting to my Karbonius airbox with the OEM flap using the standard M3's bumper. The goal is to feed air: - to the snorkel, which is upsteam of (before) the flap on the OEM piece, or just the snorkel itself on the Karbonius snorkel. The snorkel is the beginning section off some airboxes that
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

Support the little man, buy direct they're good peeps and accommodating.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.

Race:

vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:

In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?

I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.

EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.
                          Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 05-30-2021, 04:17 AM.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

You’ll want to get a proper tune.

I tried a few tuners before finally going to Randy at Epic Motorsports. He fixed all the issues I had with an alpha n tune. Can’t recommend him enough… he’s been around for years and many of the racers in Nasa/scca run his software.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                              I'm looking at doing this too. Have started to assemble pieces I'll need (MSS54 ECU w/ CSL code, MAP sensor conversion, smaller parts and pieces, etc.) but have a question.

Race:

vs. "normal" CSL box + the carbon flap:

In addition to what's mentioned above, are there any other benefits to one vs. the other?

I'm not planning on running the BMW flap because of the additional complexity.

EDIT: I just read thru Cubieman's linked content. Seems like the Normal CSL + flap would allow you to get cooler air to the intake more easily. Other than that, I was thinking along the lines of driveability between the two at lower RPMs when I asked my question.
                              I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X