Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

So I know of an 06 alpline white on imola red manual m3 that I can possibly get my hands on. Kicker is it has been sitting for quite sometime. It has around 95k miles and def needs ds prob repainted due to someone keying it. Motor looks atrocious. Interior isn't that bad needs a new steering wheel and shit knob. Also both c pillar interior panels need replaced. The clutch goes straight to the floor. I was told it runs but there isnt a battery in it atm. So guy wants 11g's for it. I think I can get it for 10g's but wanted to ask you fellow m3 owners what you think? Is it worth it knowing its a manual and I could spruce it up a bit and it will be worth more? I mean even the way it sits its a 14K according to kbb. I am kinda torn and don't know what to do. I have the money just don't know if it is worth it? PLease let me know what you think.

Get a PPI and go from there. Hopefully a motivated seller can find a way to make that happen.
    E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post
      Get a PPI and go from there. Hopefully a motivated seller can find a way to make that happen.
      Well pretty sure this guy isn't a motivated seller. The car has been sitting around his lot for 3-4 yrs. Plus with clutch pedal not working would have to tow it somewhere to get the ppi done. Which if I could get it for right price I wouldn't have a problem doing that.

Comment

That's a pretty sweet spec. Who knows if it's worth the amount of effort, but if you can get it for $10k, I bet you could put at least another $10k into without losing a dollar. A sorted AW/IR 6 speed with barely 100k miles is worth at least $20k.
        2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
          That's a pretty sweet spec. Who knows if it's worth the amount of effort, but if you can get it for $10k, I bet you could put at least another $10k into without losing a dollar. A sorted AW/IR 6 speed with barely 100k miles is worth at least $20k.
          Yeah that is kinda what I was figuring. Since its a dealer I have to pay taxes and what not so I offered 9125 which will bring it to 10g's out the door. If I buy it I will more then likely hold onto it and not sell.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of money for the trouble. I wouldn't touch it unless you knew for sure the engine was in running order. I can only imagine how long the oil or valve adjustments got put off if the interior was destroyed..If the engine really even runs.

And paint too? Sounds crazy at ten grand when you can get one that's in decent order for twenty. It will cost more than another ten to fix everything. At 100k everything is suspect if the car wasn't sitting and decaying.

Comment

First thing I'd do is get a battery and start it, make sure the engine is good and the electricals and take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                Sounds like a lot of money for the trouble. I wouldn't touch it unless you knew for sure the engine was in running order. I can only imagine how long the oil or valve adjustments got put off if the interior was destroyed..If the engine really even runs.

And paint too? Sounds crazy at ten grand when you can get one that's in decent order for twenty. It will cost more than another ten to fix everything. At 100k everything is suspect if the car wasn't sitting and decaying.
                Yes I would agree with you on that. If I do decided to buy it I want to hear it run so I can see if it idles correctly and revs without any noises. I know it will need some work but I have wanted an aw/ir for a very long time. I can do all the work besides painting myself. Which I have a buddy that can do it for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalM3 View Post
                  First thing I'd do is get a battery and start it, make sure the engine is good and the electricals and take it from there.
                  Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I will prob do that if we can come to an agreement.

Comment

Even with a running engine, a car like this at 10K will nickel and dime you far past the price for a comparable car.
                    I'd pass, unless you were looking for a DIY project. The paint and cosmetic issues along will cost you nearly the difference.
                    Clutch or any engine work (not able to confirm subframe/vanos/rod bearings) and you're asking for it.
                    TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
                      Even with a running engine, a car like this at 10K will nickel and dime you far past the price for a comparable car.
                      I'd pass, unless you were looking for a DIY project. The paint and cosmetic issues along will cost you nearly the difference.
                      Clutch or any engine work (not able to confirm subframe/vanos/rod bearings) and you're asking for it.
                      also been looking at it from that direction as well. I had an 03 ti/grey smg coupe I just sold. I got it fairly cheap and had to put quite a bit into it right away. So before I put any more into it I sold it. I was just trying to avoid taking out a loan for a nicer car. Which that may seem to be the better direction. I don't have to buy this car either. I have a c4 zr-1 and an 06 sti I can play with. Just thought maybe was a good deal as I can handle all the mechanical aspects of car.

Comment

Me personally - I wouldn't touch it, even at $5k. A car that you can't drive to assess the condition almost never worth the trouble.
                        I just picked up a sweet super clean E60 M5 w/95k miles that runs like a champ for under $10k. $10k buys you a lot of car these days, if you look around.
                        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                          Me personally - I wouldn't touch it, even at $5k. A car that you can't drive to assess the condition almost never worth the trouble.
                          I just picked up a sweet super clean E60 M5 w/95k miles that runs like a champ for under $10k. $10k buys you a lot of car these days, if you look around.
                          I mean in all honesty I don't think the owner of the car will sell it. He is a stubborn sob. Wants top dollar for shit cars. We will see what happens. I may just sell sti also and find one that is nicer for sure. Waiting to hear back so will keep everyone updated.

Comment

It needs to be rescued.
                            If engine runs good, no accident damaged chassis, suspension straight, no damaged to electrical system, then rescue it.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                              It needs to be rescued.
                              If engine runs good, no accident damaged chassis, suspension straight, no damaged to electrical system, then rescue it.
                              It can swell to a 20k car easily especially with paint work (maybe/probably more). I wouldn't turn it down completely but I think 7k is a better price point, for all you know the engine knocks, suspension is done, vanos tabs gone, cracks etc). Take him 7k cash and say "take it". He will sell.

Comment

Working...
                              X