Intermittent DSC/Brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent DSC/Brake light

Struggling with an intermittent problem with the DSC. Car is a 2004 SMG with the MK60 DSC unit. Took it out today and yesterday as the weather was nice. After driving for a while I get the DSC/Brake light come on usually as I am coming to a stop (just normal around town driving nothing crazy). I check the codes and I get:

5E5D/not present - ABS-DSC Level Sensor Brake Fluid
    5E24/not present - ABS-DSC: Pressure Sensor
    5E21/not present - ABS-DSC: Pressure Sensor 2

However I am able to log all these sensor values and they seem plausible values. Other than bad wiring any other issues that I should be looking at? Every time this has come up turning the car off and on again clears up the lights on the dash.

thanks in advance

I have had exactly the same issue with my 2002 M3 vert. There is a connection point on the controller the starts to fail due to vibration and heat and creates this intermittent code. I would just get about every available DSC related fault code and it was driving me nuts. I found a used DSC module on Ebay that came from a car with no codes (supposedly). I put it in over the weekend and have not had the fault since then. I will need to drive it for a longer period of time before I consider it corrected. Are you sure that your car has the MK60 DSC unit? Mine is different and is an Alte Controller 2 229 801, DSC3-ES. I understand that there are quite a few places that will rebuild the MK60 units for about $150 with a lifetime warranty. There are not many places that will rebuild the ones from the M3 and it costs more. I can send you a link to the place in CA that will rebuild the M3 if it turns out that is what you end up needing.

Comment

Originally posted by sharadn View Post
      I have had exactly the same issue with my 2002 M3 vert. There is a connection point on the controller the starts to fail due to vibration and heat and creates this intermittent code. I would just get about every available DSC related fault code and it was driving me nuts. I found a used DSC module on Ebay that came from a car with no codes (supposedly). I put it in over the weekend and have not had the fault since then. I will need to drive it for a longer period of time before I consider it corrected. Are you sure that your car has the MK60 DSC unit? Mine is different and is an Alte Controller 2 229 801, DSC3-ES. I understand that there are quite a few places that will rebuild the MK60 units for about $150 with a lifetime warranty. There are not many places that will rebuild the ones from the M3 and it costs more. I can send you a link to the place in CA that will rebuild the M3 if it turns out that is what you end up needing.
      Its definitely MK60 since its below the brake master cylinder. The MK20 units are in the drug bin on the right side of the car.

Thank you I will check out the DSC harness. I have heard some folks get lucky and just re-seat the connector and the codes go away. I might try that.

Comment

The connection is probably on the board for the controller but you might get lucky. Mine is in the drug bin so it was a walk in the park to change it out. I don't envy you with having it under the brake master cylinder

Comment

Mate, you don't have any other codes other than pressure sensor codes, replace both pressure sensors, not the controller lol. Fixed my issue after replacing both sensors.

Maybe you could get away with cleaning the connection to the the two pressure sensors first, but in my experience with the same fault codes, the pressure sensors needed to be replaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51104656865_0bbd10bbe6_z.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	97507
          Last edited by Good; 04-08-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharadn View Post
            If you were receiving every possible DSC related fault code you had a completely different problem to OP who is only receiving pressure sensor codes so it's best to replace the two sensors which the fault codes are pointing to, not the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post
              Mate, you don't have any other codes other than pressure sensor codes, replace both pressure sensors, not the controller lol. Fixed my issue after replacing both sensors.

Maybe you could get away with cleaning the connection to the the two pressure sensors first, but in my experience with the same fault codes, the pressure sensors needed to be replaced.
              Agreed. More likely this is the pressure sensors, which often do fail intermittently.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	51104656865_0bbd10bbe6_z.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	97507
                Thank you! I thought i saw you post somewhere that you replaced both sensors and it didn’t fix the issue. I must have been mistaken.

Comment

My bad, I was too focused on the intermittent aspect of the issue and did not pay close enough attention to the fault details. I believe that the fifties kid has a video on changing these pressure sensors. Let us know how it goes

Comment

Working...
                  X