ESS 525 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tigerbimmer View Post

It uses a different supercharger. Supposedly lighter, more efficient and quieter. They've had it for other engines such as the S65 for some time now and looks like they're testing for the S62 based on their social media post yesterday. S54 can't be too far behind...

G500, G540 and G580 kits now available for the S54:

Mustang Supercharger, Corvette Supercharger, BMW Supercharger, R8 supercharger, AMG supercharger, Lamborghini supercharger, BMW Tune

Existing kits cannot be upgraded to these kits (I asked).

I wonder how much a used VT2-525 is worth.....

Comment

what the gain from vt2-575 kit to G580 other then weight

Originally posted by martin.oconnor View Post

G500, G540 and G580 kits now available for the S54:

Mustang Supercharger, Corvette Supercharger, BMW Supercharger, R8 supercharger, AMG supercharger, Lamborghini supercharger, BMW Tune

Existing kits cannot be upgraded to these kits (I asked).

I wonder how much a used VT2-525 is worth.....

Comment

According to the description on the ESS web site:

This unit delivers quick boost, a very strong mid range and considerably less mechanical noise than earlier versions of our S54 systems on top of a ~10lbs savings in total system weight.

Be interesting to see a back-to-back dyno to see what this mid-range bump looks like.

Comment

By any chance, can somebody with a intercooled ESS kit measure the dimensions of the air to air intercooler net? Only the net without the welded on boxes. (high, deep and length)
          …under construction.

Comment

Might be time for an upgrade. I have their gen 3 vt475 which is non intercooled (it's a weekend nice weather driver). I think I'll call them up and see what an upgrade would cost.

Interesting comment on their site concerning aftermarket radiators which if you follow this forum closely you know how many people have run into issues with aftermarket.

"-If you run any other performance radiator than PWR, remove it and replace it with OEM. There is a lot of cooling problems with so called performance radiators when the system is stressed, do not ignore this warning."
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
              By any chance, can somebody with a intercooled ESS kit measure the dimensions of the air to air intercooler net? Only the net without the welded on boxes. (high, deep and length)
              You mean the core size? Mine is 3 1/2" by 8 1/2" by 18".

Comment

Originally posted by martin.oconnor View Post

You mean the core size? Mine is 3 1/2" by 8 1/2" by 18".
                Yes, I mean core size. I have a 475 kit laying around, but I don’t want to spent crazy 1950$+shipping+import+tax to upgrade this kit. So will make my own intercooler and piping.

Thank you very much for the dimensions! This is Gen 3 intercooler (the one with the cast boxes)?
                …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Yes, I mean core size. I have a 475 kit laying around, but I don’t want to spent crazy 1950$+shipping+import+tax to upgrade this kit. So will make my own intercooler and piping.

Thank you very much for the dimensions! This is Gen 3 intercooler (the one with the cast boxes)?
                  Yes - the Gen 3 kit.

I would say that $2k is not that bad - unless you have good fabrication skills, or know someone who has. The routing of pipes is quite involved.

Comment

Still searching a photo from under the car with installed intercooler to see where it is routed. The intercooler is in general no problem, I like to weld aluminum (I hate Stainless or body panels!) but routing the pipes will be interesting!

i was wondering how many with ESS Gen2 have retrofitted the „support brace“ (https://esstuning.com/s54-vt-gen-3-s...support-brace/) for additional stiffness? These come with Gen3 as standard. Are cracked oilfilterhousing a thing with Gen 2 SC-brackets?
                    …under construction.

Comment

Here is a section of the installation manual. The supercharger outlet to intercooler intake pipe is a shaped silicone piece. It has to make a tight bend and then clear a very tight gap on its journey from the supercharger outlet to the intercooler inlet. If you can buy that part separately, I would!

Attached Files

Comment

If anyone wants to replace the idler pulley, these are cheap available on the market from SNR. The SKF VKM 81004 don‘t fit!
                        …under construction.

Comment

I wonder if anyone used a small (like 2.62“ or 2.87“) compressor pulley without going to a 7 rip belt on a ess kit. I didn‘t get the point why ess uses 7 rip belt and add all these expensive pulleys. But the VF570 kit runs fine with its 6 rip pulley.

Martyn even uses a smaller(smallest possible according to max impeller speed with a 2.62 pulley) than in the 570 VF kit and has no claims about slipping belt.

any input is appreciated!
                          …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X