X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowdfunding: 1 to 1 OEM Replica of CSL Diffuser

Hey guys,

I've been chatting on the side about this with a few of you. I'm glad we can get the ball rolling on this.

Backstory
    Suppliers of 1:1 CSL carbon diffusers are none existent as of today or others just plain don't have the tooling & data to do it right.

René @ CarboProject has a CSL diffuser with a slight design change that smooths out the ridge in between the carbon and painted section to avoid IP issues with BMW in Europe. It was introduced a year ago and was fitted by a few members here.

He backed off on producing these due to packaging issues on the initial batch and went back to the drawing board. The packaging issues were fixed - but his production was backlogged with other projects.

The ridge-less design

The Project
    I was finally able to convince René @ CarboProject to consider the project and create some time in his production schedule for something new.

The project involves opening up a new carbon fiber mold for the production of this design instead of his older slightly different design to avoid IP issues with BMW in Europe. I can go into little details about this - René will not simply be using an OEM CSL diffuser to create a negative mold.

It's a level higher in terms of precision, and it will support the creation of a durable mold that should allow the E46 M3 community to have access to an OEM like CSL diffuser for years to come.

What I can tell you is he had already produced a prototype way back in the days and settled on making the slight design change mentioned above. What differentiates this new project from any other CSL diffuser currently available will be it's exact design and fabrication replica to the OEM BMW M3 CSL diffuser in every single detail, cut and carbon process.

The learnings from the initial batches

This project will incorporate many of the learnings from the initial batches of the previous CSL diffuser of René.

1. Packaging
    More foam, more bubble wrapping, more paper, thicker cardboard boxes. It increases shipping & packaging prices a bit - however it's a no brainer trade off considering 1/5 of the initial diffusers were trashed UPS and incurred some form of damages to the paint, carbon or mounting clips.

2. Color Matching is still available
    Color matching remains available and is very affordable alternative to getting it painted locally as it fits within René's fabrication process. The paint line will be dictated by the ridge unlike his previous design which left more leeway.

3. Ready-to-Paint Primered
    This is for the guys that want complete controle over their paint process: preparation, paint line, color matching and paint finish.

Specifications:
    1. Pre-Preg & Autoclaved Carbon Fiber production process like BMW M.
    2. 1x1 and 2x2 weave pattern available.
    3. OEM level fitment
    4. This will not be available for European deliveries.

The Current Status: Crowdfunding was filled in 3 hours Negative mold in production.

Regular orders can be placed here.​
    Last edited by Epoustouflant; 12-10-2023, 03:49 AM.

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
    The paint line will be dictated by the ridge unlike his previous design which left more leeway.
    Thanks for setting this up Matt.

If we choose to have it painted by René, does this mean the paint line will stop at the "top" of the ridge (red arrow) or the "bottom" of the ridge (green arrow)?

Comment

Count me in. Already registered through the website.

Comment

Price estimate?

Comment

Registered for the waitlist as well

Comment

Any pics of one installed on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

Thanks for setting this up Matt.

If we choose to have it painted by René, does this mean the paint line will stop at the "top" of the ridge (red arrow) or the "bottom" of the ridge (green arrow)?

It will be just like OEM! The line is dictated by the ridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cq5dam.resized.img.1185.large.time1572256447239.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	165906

Originally posted by S54Mickey View Post
              Count me in. Already registered through the website.
              Awesome.

Originally posted by redice View Post
              Price estimate?
              It will retail around 899$ US. Intro pricing will be lower.

Originally posted by JaredU View Post
              Registered for the waitlist as well
              Awesome.

Originally posted by c watson View Post
              Any pics of one installed on the car?
              No, this is a crowdfunding for a new mold. It will be just like OEM pictured above.

Comment

Great - surely there are more than just 11 people interested in this!

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

Great - surely there are more than just 11 people interested in this!
                  There are - the waiting list is growing and I have only posted this here as of now. I will get to it this week to launch the crowdfunding campaign.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cq5dam.resized.img.1185.large.time1572256447239.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	165906

Awesome.

It will retail around 899$ US. Intro pricing will be lower.

Awesome.

No, this is a crowdfunding for a new mold. It will be just like OEM pictured above.
                    Thanks but do you have a pic of the entire diffuser installed ? I’d like to see the sides where they meet with the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post

Thanks but do you have a pic of the entire diffuser installed ? I’d like to see the sides where they meet with the bumper.
                      There is no installed pictures as the product doesn't exist yet.

Comment

I'm sure I've asked this before, but the OE CSL diffuser is in a 1x1 weave correct?

Comment

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post
                          I'm sure I've asked this before, but the OE CSL diffuser is in a 1x1 weave correct?
                          Yes!

Comment

Why not get one from Alpha N in Germany? From what I see on their Facebook page it’s fairly decently made and constructed and priced.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
                              Why not get one from Alpha N in Germany? From what I see on their Facebook page it’s fairly decently made and constructed and priced.
                              This is cheaper including color match painted and made to OEM specs. Alpha N doesn't produce a single thing they market.
                              Last edited by Epoustouflant; 05-02-2022, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X