Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m actually working on this *right* now!

We’re doing a BMW Performance seat replica in Speed Cloth for the E92 and I’m hoping to connect with the upholstery shop to do an AMX style service with new seats that are more affordable.

I just ran the VIN, confirmed this is OEM M-Texture & Alcantara finish. Supposedly 1 of 6 in Canada. Saying I’m excited about this build is an understatement.

What I’m struggling with is the front seats. They are all leather.

Should they be M Texture as well?
    That's awesome! Yeah fronts should also be M-texture too with leather bolsters and headrest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	e575e19c-d6b2-4331-8bad-cd99620018d0.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	131598​​
    Last edited by PipeUy; 10-13-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PipeUy View Post

That's awesome! Yeah fronts should also be M-texture too with leather bolsters and headrest.

Click image for larger version Name:	e575e19c-d6b2-4331-8bad-cd99620018d0.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	131598​​
      Thanks for the tip!

To the upholstery shop it goes then.

Comment

I wouldn't waste $ re-upholstering your current seat- I saw their condition on IG. Even if they were in perfect shape, the $ might be better spent on buckets no?
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          I wouldn't waste $ re-upholstering your current seat- I saw their condition on IG. Even if they were in perfect shape, the $ might be better spent on buckets no?
          I’ll think this through for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
            If this is a factory PY on M-texture it is 1/6 in the US/Canada
            Confirmed it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

Confirmed it is.
              Very cool, grats. Mtex is probably the most desirable interior for these cars and a nice match for PY.

I saw your story on Instagram, the front seats are definitely reupholstered. They are supposed to match the rears. M texture can wear quite heavily on the seat bases over time so it was probably replaced with leather for that reason.

​​​​​​I think I concur with Tyler in that it's probably not worth redoing them in m texture given they aren't mint anyway and the fabric is $$$. I recently did some PP ABE's for my mtex car and they look great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210810-WA0003.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	131614

Going that route is a good option. A very good reproduction of the original fabric is available here: https://www.ascfabrics.com/

Comment

Going that route is a good option. A very good reproduction of the original fabric is available here: https://www.ascfabrics.com/
                That's the place I was trying to think of!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

So, I had the time to go around the car. I'll put it on the lift shortly.

Couple things that I'll address aesthetically.
                  1. The front seats are confirmed to be reupholstered in OE style perforated leather.
                  2. The rear taillights are aftermarket LEDs with smoked turn signals. The have some form of adapter harness to convert to LED I assume. The liner behind them is missing. There's a small bulb hanging around.
                    1. Is there value in swapping to OEM LEDs? Is the harness re-usable?
                  3. It has a GIAC sticker on the ECU box. Haven't opened it up to see if it's a new ECU or just a fancy sticker to show off.
                  4. The C pillar liner is sagging.
                    1. Re-glue or a new liner?
                  5. All silver trims are bubbling or scratched. It appears to be a form of vinyl.
                  6. One of the rear child seat hook plastic cover is missing.
                  7. The ashtray cover above the center console is scratched up.
                  8. The steering wheel leather is beyond repair.
                  It has some sort of aftermarket exhaust system and is fitted with 19" Beyern Mesh wheels. Grabbed a set of stock 18s to refinish to hold off until I get the crowdfunding campaign going for a monoblock forged 1:1 CSL replica wheel.
                  Last edited by Epoustouflant; 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Congrats! PY is a real nice color in person.
                    I can definitely help you with interior refurb, see signature.
                    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Mtex is probably the most desirable interior for these cars and a nice match for PY.
                      Well is it? Seeing how it was one of the least ordered interiors seems to contradict that thought.

For OP, congrats on the E46 and enjoy. Look forward to seeing you mod/restore it.
                      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                        Well is it? Seeing how it was one of the least ordered interiors seems to contradict that thought.

For OP, congrats on the E46 and enjoy. Look forward to seeing you mod/restore it.
                        Lol I knew someone would call me out on that. However desirable it was in period doesn't mean it is still that way though. Often the inverse. Going off current values, yes it would seem mtex is the most desirable, followed by cinnamon probably. Though I haven't seen an in depth breakdown, probably hard to separate out from other variables. In period, no it was not. Whether it is your preference or not is each their own.

Comment

Lol I knew someone would call me out on that. However desirable it was in period doesn't mean it is still that way though. Often the inverse. Going off current values, yes it would seem mtex is the most desirable, followed by cinnamon probably. Though I haven't seen an in depth breakdown, probably hard to separate out from other variables. In period, no it was not. Whether it is your preference or not is each their own.
                          This is applicable to the single hump & speed cloth E9X M3 as well. It was sarcastically referred to the Civic M3 back in the days - now it's worth a solid premium over iDrive and Leather cars. I'm not surprised to hear this would be the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post

M Tex was an unlisted option (in the USA), that you had to know the code for to order... so it's not quite as cut and dry a "nobody wanted it". 99% of buyers likely had no idea it was something they could have, and had never seen it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

This is applicable to the single hump & speed cloth E9X M3 as well. It was sarcastically referred to the Civic M3 back in the days - now it's worth a solid premium over iDrive and Leather cars. I'm not surprised to hear this would be the case here.
                              M Tex is probably a step above speed cloth. There is a different cloth interior (impulse cloth) that came if you didn't option leather, that's much crappier feeling than the M Tex... and fairly similar to the speed cloth.

Name:	49729220396_7d47db701b_b.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	131679

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Got time to take more pictures this PM.

Name:	REC05390.jpg