Casa de Mesa’s M3 color change from blue to blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TLDR
    Skip to the next post. There are progress photos below this relatively long update post.

Nearly every free moment I have had over the past 2 months has been spent working on this thing. It’s been a journey. It’s had some pretty big setbacks, mostly outside of my control, but I’ve continued marching on and focusing on the vision.

The paint / body shop screwed me
    The biggest setback has been the paint shop I’ve been partnering with for 3+ months. After they came to see the car and discuss my project goals and ensure there was a “good fit” for both of us, I then visited their shop to pick up paint samples and see their work. From that first visit back in the middle of November, I’ve been sending the occasional photo to them at milestone stages of the project – mostly to confirm where I was in the project but also to ask the occasional question. They have been very aware this project was approaching them and all I kept hearing was, “we are so excited to get this car here.”

Finally getting the car to a rolling chassis state and ready for them, they were supposed to pick up the car on Saturday morning Feb 5, and haul it back to their shop ~35-40 min away. We had a confirmed schedule of events. That’s when things when sideways.

After talking to the painter one last time on that Saturday (Feb 5), I have not heard from them since. Not a single word. They will not return my texts, voicemails or answer the phone directly when I call – they route it to voicemail. I have absolutely no idea why. I first thought something happened to either the painter or someone at the shop. A car accident? Death in the family? Death of someone at their shop? Absolutely no clue.

So here I am, left with a car I have spent 3 months almost completely disassembling and have no painter. Despite me being meticulously careful, this is a 20 year old car. I broke plastic tabs, cracked the inner bumper structure removing it (old, brittle) in such a way that repair would be difficult, paid to have the AC evacuated, ordered $x,xxx in replacement parts I would otherwise not need, etc. etc. etc. In other words, because of what I’ve done, I’ve spent beaucoup bucks just in replacement parts alone. And these guys knew this dismantling was going on all along the way. One example: I talked to them about the cost differential and pros and cons of repairing the existing bumper vs. me buying a new one. They cannot claim a lack of communication, intent, organization, professionalism or anything else on my end. Their actions are utter shit.

Looking back on that original shop, there were so many red flags I ignored, or more likely didn’t know any better, that I now see so clearly.

My heart (frustration + anger) tells me to go show up in person and “get crystal clear” on the situation with these guys face-to-face. I have friends who tell me they’ll go with to bear witness and to be able to corroborate the events – that is, their replies to my questions.

My brain kicks in and I realize this will get me precisely nowhere. At this point, there is no way in hell I’m leaving my car with these clowns.

So I pivot. I start the search for a new shop – again. I call countless shops, all who either say “we are booked 6-9 months out” or “we don’t do full resprays”. All told I’ve called probably ~50 shops within a 100 mile radius, so many that I began to lose track if I called them already and realized I called one shop twice asking the same questions. Woops.

Boiling this down, what have I learned? The shop you want doing a project like this is the shop that’s booked 6-9 months out or longer. That packed schedule is a really good indication they are worth their salt.

My luck turns
    I find a place that does restoration work and that is all they do. I call them and by some fracture in the universal laws of body shops (like gravity, but stronger), they say, “You’re in luck, we actually have an opening right now if you can get the car to us ASAP”. So I immediately visit them. I’m stunned. Their work is next level good and their shop is impressive as hell. It’s clean, extremely well organized by zones and absolutely zero clutter anywhere. They have a mix of EVERYTHING in there – old Lincolns, Camaros, murdered-out hot rods, a late 60s Bronco, unibody pickups and muscle cars from every era. They’ve been in business for 20+ years. Their level of professionalism is on an entirely different plain than the OG shop.

So we organize a plan, agree on the details, I get the car to them and fast forward to today, they started work on the car Friday Feb 18.

I dodged a bullet
    Remember the red flags I mentioned about the OG shop? In contrast to this new shop, the OG shop felt like a bunch of dudes hanging out at a buddy’s garage drinking beer, ripping on and throwing things at each other. Which to be clear, is totally in my wheelhouse and one of my favorite things to do. But I wouldn’t dream of doing that in front of customers. It made their shop look like a film shoot for Jackass 6 (and let me go on record: Johnny Knoxville is absolutely one of my heroes).

So I dodged a bullet. I’m not yet willing to say who that OG shop is – I’m an ex-small business owner and know how exactly how damaging 1 person’s review can be. The public is fickle and sometimes get it wrong. In this case, this John Q. Public (me) doesn’t have it wrong. However, despite their complete incompetence, unethical behavior and total lack of professionalism, something won’t let me publicly bash them.

That said, for all of those who have asked in a thread or PMed me about the shop I was planning to use in the Winston-Salem NC area, shoot me a PM and I will tell you who they are so you can avoid them.

Thank you Mayan-Viking for helping me keep my sanity. He's a local I met him on this forum when I first started dropping hints about this respray. He’s helped me with a few projects on the car and has turned out to be an incredible friend in a relatively short period of time. That’s a good dude right there.
    Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 02-20-2022, 10:01 PM.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Progress pics

Onto the photos.

Front radiator support finally removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220115_163832.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	154834

Intake removed, ITBs are cleaner than I expected.

Name:	IMG_20220115_164551.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	154851

Disconnected aux water pump and drained as much of the heater core and coolant passages at the top of the motor as I could. I hate messes and do everything I can to avoid having to clean them up.

Edit: need to figure out why these vertical photos keep rotating 90 degrees left.

Name:	IMG_20220116_115313.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	154833

Brains box wiring removed. You can also see in the upper left where a mouse got after my insulation/sound deadening in fierce way.

Name:	IMG_20220116_152649.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	154835

Engine removal

Name:	IMG_20220122_174849.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	154836

Name:	IMG_20220122_193406.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	154840

Name:	IMG_20220122_193356.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	154838

Name:	IMG_20220122_195908.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	154837
      Clutch removal. You can see a chunk of friction material missing in the lower right and the irregular wear pattern across the face of the entire thing. Apparently this is a symptom of a bum dual mass flywheel. I’m still weighing the pros and cons of SMF vs. DMF. Also thinking about the N54 conversion Turner (aka ECS) sells.

Name:	IMG_20220123_132742.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	154842

Blue crank. So cool.

Name:	IMG_20220123_133754.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	154841

Dirty engine bay

Name:	IMG_20220123_181447.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	154843

Wrangling the octopus in an attempt to create a rolling chassis

Name:	IMG_20220129_112837.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	154844

Name:	IMG_20220129_112857.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	154845

Name:	IMG_20220129_123319.jpg
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	154846

De-greased the engine bay

Name:	IMG_20220130_132324.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	154849

Name:	IMG_20220130_132346.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	154848

Name:	IMG_20220130_132331.jpg
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	154847

Rolling chassis ready for the paint shop

Name:	IMG_20220130_163214.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	154850
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 02-20-2022, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear you dodged a bullet with that paint shop and found some guys that know what they are doing. My old painter had some family issues as well that started when I dropped the car off to them for a front clip respray. The car stayed in the shop collecting dust for months and I had no other shop willing to respray it for the price we agreed. Body shops can be rough, especially ones that prefer insurance work (your car always sits on the backburner when they have the chance to smoke insurance companies for paint work). Sounds like you found some gents that like doing custom projects. Looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
          Glad to hear you dodged a bullet with that paint shop and found some guys that know what they are doing. My old painter had some family issues as well that started when I dropped the car off to them for a front clip respray. The car stayed in the shop collecting dust for months and I had no other shop willing to respray it for the price we agreed. Body shops can be rough, especially ones that prefer insurance work (your car always sits on the backburner when they have the chance to smoke insurance companies for paint work). Sounds like you found some gents that like doing custom projects. Looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out!
          Thanks, me too. This new shop has been fantastic. They let me take a bunch of parts down there yesterday and use their sandblasting cabinet. Incredible

Man the situation of your car getting "stuck" in that shop - nuts. Glad you were able to get it figure out. Your car looks amazing, so clearly the frustration was worth the end result.

Comment

just stumbled onto this build and remembered your color change thread and all the controversy it drummed up

glad to see you went through with it and more importantly that you're doing a level of work yourself that probably no body shop in the nation would be willing to do for you (at a reasonable price)

please keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
              just stumbled onto this build and remembered your color change thread and all the controversy it drummed up

glad to see you went through with it and more importantly that you're doing a level of work yourself that probably no body shop in the nation would be willing to do for you (at a reasonable price)

please keep us updated!
              Thanks man. It's been a journey. I shouldn't even suggested I was going to do that in that thread and just asked "what's the easiest way to pull the motor", ha. More doing, less talking is my new motto.

That said, almost every step of the way has been a struggle and I'm still pushing forward so I know I really want to do this. Another example, DHL lost my original Karbonius order:

Both the airbox and trunk are SOLD. Trunk is still for sale but pending a response from someone. -------- If you have been eyeing up a Karbonius carbon intake with Karbonius carbon snorkel and/or a Karbonius carbon trunk and have been on the fence due to general unavailability (or shipping charges from Spain, manufacturing

At the end of the day, these are good problems to have.

Comment

Some quick updates without a ton of text.

This was a mixed emotion sight for me, if I'm being candid. I've had a few "Holy crap what am I doing?" moments in the disassembly process, but this was probably the biggest one. Something about seeing the car on the flatbed felt so final. So irreversible. Then I quickly got over that moment and got excited again. Haven't had another one of those moments since.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220215_084707.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.1 KB ID:	157327

Wish the lighting in this pic was better, but here is the old trunk removed with the new Karbonius carbon trunk fitted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220219_093446.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	157328

The quality of the trunk is top notch. The paint shop rolled their eyes and smirked when I said I have a carbon deck lid. "Those things never, ever fit well" was their reply.

Turns out fitment is spot on. They were extremely impressed with the quality and fitment, as am I. Karb is doing things right. This is an extremely complex piece and I'm diggin their take on the CSL deck lid.

Some more photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190304.jpg Views:	284 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	154855

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190317.jpg Views:	272 Size:	155.5 KB ID:	154856

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190334.jpg Views:	270 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	154857

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190339.jpg Views:	266 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	154858

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190439.jpg Views:	268 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	154859

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_190622.jpg Views:	272 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	154860

Regarding this next photo, it looks like it's not lining up. It isn't. There is no latching mechanism in the trunk or my car at the moment and so the trunk is lifting up just a little bit. The Karb trunk is so much lighter than stock that the gas-pressurized lifters fling this thing open pretty quickly. In this state as pictured, they are lifting the trunk up ever so slightly. Also, this is an INITIAL FITMENT and it was pretty bang on bolting it right up to the existing latches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220219_100706.jpg Views:	266 Size:	138.0 KB ID:	154861

The shop is going to paint the hinges satin black. Should look pretty awesome.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220219_100617.jpg Views:	273 Size:	165.6 KB ID:	154862

I also picked up a Karbonius intake in matte. DHL lost my first Karbonius shipment that included both a trunk and a gloss intake (more on that just below). When I saw this thread about a matte finish intake and then saw Epoustouflant reply with photos of the Haimus Racing intake... my mouth hit the floor. So I reached out to Karbonius and asked if I could change my order. They obliged. A bit more about the debacle in this for sale post, but to quote myself:

Last autumn (early October), I ordered an intake, snorkel, filter and CSL trunk directly from Karbonius. I waited the ~8 weeks for the pieces to be manufactured, then Karb shipped them out late November from Spain. They shipped in 2 separate boxes - the intake & associated parts in one box, the trunk in another. DHL proceeded to lose both of them and officially declared them lost mid-to-late December.

Thus, after the holidays and Karbonius' new years break, they started to manufacture replacement pieces for me. Let me say as clearly as I can - Ana and rest of the crew at Karbonius were tremendously good to deal with and immediately took action once the items were declared lost by DHL. I cannot speak highly enough about these folks. They are good people who genuinely care about their customers and I'm beyond thankful to them.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Karbonius ships out the replacement parts. Again, these leave Spain in 2 separate boxes. Something with the 2nd shipment must of triggered the release of the original shipment, because I ended up receiving 4 boxes from DHL. In other words, I currently have in my possession 2 intakes, 2 snorkels, 2 filters and 2 trunks. DHL... 🙄
                Everyone including DHL Spain thought the parts were stolen. Because the original shipment containing 2 boxes arrived in Greensboro, NC on separate days, and were quickly deemed lost by DHL after an "exhaustive search", it absolutely looked like theft. Turns out it wasn't and I falsely accused DHL of such. But I mean... come on DHL!! How do you lose boxes this big?!

Enough of that, on with the good stuff. Here are some pics of the intake in the flesh. Pictures do not do this justice. It is stunning in person. All of the bungs are CNCed anodized black aluminum. ALL of them. I didn't realize that was the case with these intakes.

Apologies for the sideways shots. For some reason recently, any vertical-oriented photo is rotating 90 degrees left when I upload to NAM3. Can't figure out what's up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184453.jpg Views:	160 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	154866

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184429.jpg Views:	146 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	154867

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184352.jpg Views:	149 Size:	158.6 KB ID:	154868

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184609.jpg Views:	147 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	154869

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184740.jpg Views:	150 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	154870

This photo does a pretty good job of capturing how the light looks in person. It's just awesome.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184800.jpg Views:	149 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	154871

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184525.jpg Views:	149 Size:	107.4 KB ID:	154872

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_175503.jpg Views:	147 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	154873

These are some pretty good tolerances on this carbon joint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184644.jpg Views:	145 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	154874

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220216_184716.jpg Views:	144 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	154875
                Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 03-06-2022, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Euro bumper awaiting paint. That's also my matte shadowline trim that will be painted Gloss Black. The rubber seals are in surprisingly good shape so decided why the hell not. No way am I paying $2600 per side for the OEM BMW ones.

Also - sorry again for the sideways shot, I legit can't figure out why these are getting rotated 90 degrees left when I upload them here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220219_095430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	157340

With the car at the shop, I turned my attention to the motor. I removed everything that bolted onto this thing, including the headers. Don't hate on my Agency Power tubes, still trying to decide if I want SSV1 + SS catted section 1. I mean... the answer is yes, just not sure I want to shell out the $4k at the moment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220212_130901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.0 KB ID:	157341

Dirty birdy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220212_132659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.9 KB ID:	157342

Headers off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220218_132525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.9 KB ID:	157343

Custom crank holder vibration damper removal tool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220219_123826.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	157344

Oil filter housing needs some TLC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dirty oil filter housing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	157346

...four hours and a lot of Simple Green later...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220220_150822.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	157345

Slowly making my way through de-greasing miscellaneous engine parts. PSA: now is a good time to go buy stock in Simply Green's parent company.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220221_173546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.4 KB ID:	157347

Got tired of scrubbing small parts, so turned my attention to the motor. However... that took lots of scrubbing so I'm still not sure what logic I was applying.

Removed any loose and flaking factory paint. I'm following KBS Coatings and their 4 step Rust Seal process:

1. scrub, scrape and sand until your fingers fall off and there is no flaking paint or rust left
                  2. apply KBS Klean to degrease the block
                  3. apply Rust Blast to prep any exposed metal or remaining surface rust
                  4. apply RustSeal to encapsulate any remaining rust.

I've used this before and LOVE the ease of application. It goes on with a brush and the coating levels itself out if you don't go too heavy with each coat and apply multiple light coats. It dries rock hard when done, and then you top coat it (next set of pics). IMHO, it's a better POR15.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220220_155831.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.9 KB ID:	157348

Sanding in progress on the passenger side (the driver side for anyone in the UK or NZ or any other RHD country), where the factory paint was in much better shape than the driver side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220220_162407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	157349

Masked off. I hate masking with a passion. I'm so freaking particular that it takes me HOURS to get to this point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_143000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	157350

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_142948.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.5 KB ID:	157351

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_143044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	157352

Some in progress shots of the RustSeal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_154327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	157354

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_154405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.4 KB ID:	157355

You can see how well this stuff levels out on its own. This is still drying (I used a satin black to match BMW factory finish, however here it looks gloss) and you can see how well the coating self-levels. Stuff is awesome. This is with a paint brush!

BTW - I have new ping/knock sensors on the way so I'm using the old ones to "mask off" the block as I got tired of cutting out masking tape circles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_183159.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.7 KB ID:	157356

And finally the top layer of Motor Coater. With it still tacky, I pulled the masking tape off. I have found that if you pull the tape off while the coating is still curing, it's way easier to remove and you end up with a better final finish. You just need to go slow and pay attention so you don't leave finger prints in the final finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220227_170219.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	157357

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220227_170259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	157358

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220227_172648.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	157359

Up next is cleaning up the timing cover and the head. That will be easy by comparison.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 03-06-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Threads like this always make me miss the project that was rebuilding my motor.

More and more I'm thinking of respraying my M3 as well. I'll probably get too scared and just redo the original TiAg (but if I was brave I'd go oxford green like I always wanted), but still this will be good inspiration when the time comes.

Comment

Think you’ll be taking it to any local car meets when it’s done? I’d love to see the color in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                        Threads like this always make me miss the project that was rebuilding my motor.
                        I was in the same boat. Finally decided enough was enough and just pulled the trigger.

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                        More and more I'm thinking of respraying my M3 as well. I'll probably get too scared and just redo the original TiAg (but if I was brave I'd go oxford green like I always wanted), but still this will be good inspiration when the time comes.
                        Life it short. Do it! If yours isn't a unicorn, the process has been so much fun. Also the interior in your car is where I want to take mine. It's spot on man. I saved this link in a tab so I could always get back to it, ha! Thanks for the inspiration.

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                        Think you’ll be taking it to any local car meets when it’s done? I’d love to see the color in person.
                        Yeah absolutely will! I'm not doing this to let it sit. This car will be driven. Also my brother just moved to Chapel Hill so I'll be in your neck of the woods with it at some point for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                          Life it short. Do it! If yours isn't a unicorn, the process has been so much fun. Also the interior in your car is where I want to take mine. It's spot on man. I saved this link in a tab so I could always get back to it, ha! Thanks for the inspiration.
                          Thank you mate, it's easily my favourite part of the car. M-texture was high on the wishlist when I was looking for an M3 to buy, unfortunately in NZ that means the colour options are limited because there are so few. At the time I bought this it was the only one in the country with this interior. I don't love or hate TiAg, just find it a bit meh. Oxford green was always calling my name since I missed out on one in OG/Mtex about a year before I bought my car that was wrecked shortly after 1 of 10 in the world in that spec, 1 of 4 RHD .

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211202_105354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	157884 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_145217.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	157885

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Couple of quick updates.

Front main seal:

New front main seal installed. I did a trial run of cobra's 3D printed FMS installation tool. He's planning on renting the tool out (I rented it from him). It's pretty freaking slick!!

Came with instructions, super clear and easy to understand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_114148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	159952

There are 4 positions for the inner cup that presses the FMS into the housing. Each position sets the seal about 1.5-2mm further into the timing chain cover. This allows the seal to be installed dry, but also at a different depth than the seal you just took out. It's super ingenious and I'm completely blown away by the simplicity of the tool, but the complexity of the design.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_114359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	159953

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_114245.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	159951

I think he may be working on some revisions based on feedback. I'll let cobra chime in if he wants.

This tool is incredibly well thought out. I bought 3 seals and used only 1, so we can now officially call it "idiot proof".

A few more pics:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_151725.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	159954

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_152812.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	159955

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_152903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	159956

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_154033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	159957

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_154019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	159959

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220312_160615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	159958

Cerakote coating on engine bay parts:

After asking the shop that's doing the paint work for a recommendation on the best way to remove oxidation on aluminum, they offered for me to come in on a Saturday morning and sandblast the bits and pieces myself. SUPER COOL of them. Here is what they ended up looking like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220226_154455.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	159942

The plan was to then satin clear coat them myself. Easy as can be. However, all the clear coats I could find that would withstand engine temps without yellowing required baking to get the finish up to optimal hardness/protection. The "regular" clears seemed to cap out at a working range of 200-225F. Not gonna work for these engine bay parts.

However, I was reluctant to bake some of these parts due to not knowing what's inside them (the oil filter housing, in particular). I thought there was an oil thermostat inside it (there is) plus some check valves (there are) that might have plastic/rubber/viton/whatever seals - nonmetallic is what I'm getting at. Pretty sure there are.

So I continued to research Cerakote. They make a room temp cure product that isn't quite as good as their super-high temp stuff for headers, exhaust parts and the like, but it's still FAR BEYOND the temperatures these parts will ever see. Heck, even their H-Series and Elite series don't have that high of a cure temp, and with these parts already sandblasted, I figured this was a no-brainer and safe. I WAS WRONG.

Without belaboring the points in that thread any further in this one, I'll focus on the positive. These parts looks absolutely amazing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_122108.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.7 KB ID:	159950

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_115103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.8 KB ID:	159943

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_115109.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	159944

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_115126.jpg Views:	0 Size:	333.1 KB ID:	159945

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_145613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.0 KB ID:	159946

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_145619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	159947

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_145635.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	159948

I love how the oil pan looks contrasted against the freshly coated motor, and all new fasteners for the sump, oil pan and the oil temp sensor (also new).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_170826.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.3 KB ID:	159949
                              Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 03-20-2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

While the car was off at paint, I continued progress on putting as much as I could back together. I cleaned up the transmission as best I could, installed a new clutch fork pivot pin (steel BMW p/n 21511223281), throw out bearing guide tube, and all the miscellaneous extras one typically does when refreshing the clutch. Sorry about the upside down photo... no clue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220327_155740.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.6 KB ID:	165445

Started bolting bits and pieces onto the motor. I absolutely love how the coolant tube looks in Cerakote - too bad the thing will be mostly covered up!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220326_113106_Bokeh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	165447

Crank pulley installed along with the AC compressor. I cleaned up the compressor as much as I could too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220326_153145_Bokeh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	165448

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220326_153153_Bokeh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	165449

Throttle actuator and engine wiring harness:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220326_160204_Bokeh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	165450

New rear main seal. I opted to install just the seal rather than getting the unit with the seal holder/housing (whatever that aluminum piece is called that bolts up to the back of the motor). The install of the seal into the that housing was easier than I expected. Also installed a new pilot bearing. I went BMW Genuine after hearing about fitment issues on the non-BMW units.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220327_155623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.3 KB ID:	165451

New DMF flywheel (Luk) and self adjusting clutch (Sachs).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34485.jpg Views:	3 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	165446

New Turner under-drive pulleys and mated the transmission to the motor. Also installed a new started motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220410_123041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.1 KB ID:	165463

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220409_164934.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	165464

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220413_190546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	165465

And a few in progress shots at the shop.

Slon Workshop carbon roof bow epoxied and riveted in place. I REALLY wanted to do this myself, but the roof arrived while the car was at the shop and it made sense for them to do it. I didn't want to risk damaging a freshly painted car so...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_081758.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	165452

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_081805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	165453

Doug at Vintage Restoration did an amazing job a removing the roof. Hands down, this is better than I would have done. He's a master fabricator and some of the things I saw him do on other customer's vehicles are amazing. Perhaps is best I left this job to the pros.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_082948.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	165455

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_082945.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	165459

Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_083221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	165458

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_081819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.9 KB ID:	165456

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_083144.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	165457

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_083117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	165460

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_083232.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	165461

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220330_082633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	165462

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34491.jpg Views:	3 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	165454
                                Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 04-29-2022, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X