MasterC17's HPDE/Time Attack Track Car (Re)Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Is there a way to pull the data into the AIM display without the cluster?
    I don't believe so. The MK60 without the IKE won't stream any data, and seems to remain in an “unhappy” state if you want to call it that.

If you have an emulator to account for the lack of IKE, the MK60 will act normally and stream data over KBUS. You would then have to convert to CAN for the AIM to pick up. I did so for F+R brake pressures.

Comment

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post

I don't believe so. The MK60 without the IKE won't stream any data, and seems to remain in an “unhappy” state if you want to call it that.

If you have an emulator to account for the lack of IKE, the MK60 will act normally and stream data over KBUS. You would then have to convert to CAN for the AIM to pick up. I did so for F+R brake pressures.
      The MK60 also broadcasts over CAN when the IKE is happy. I’m pulling several things from it in my car, including lateral and longitudinal acceleration, brake pedal and DSC intervention status and vehicle speed. All over CAN
      ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

The MK60 also broadcasts over CAN when the IKE is happy. I’m pulling several things from it in my car, including lateral and longitudinal acceleration, brake pedal and DSC intervention status and vehicle speed. All over CAN
        I see a lot of MK60 retrofits into other platforms. I wonder if and how they pull in the data. I'm mostly interested in the diagnostics and getting a light if there is an problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I see a lot of MK60 retrofits into other platforms. I wonder if and how they pull in the data. I'm mostly interested in the diagnostics and getting a light if there is an problem.
          Not exactly sure. All depends on other components within the system and what CAN speed they may be running, etc.

On the E46, if you have an AIM unit without the IKE, you'd have a permanent DSC light and some related codes. If you had the AIM pickup the CAN ID for DSC/MDM status, it would always be on, so you wouldn't be able to tell if there was an actual problem.

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

The MK60 also broadcasts over CAN when the IKE is happy. I'm pulling several things from it in my car, including lateral and longitudinal acceleration, brake pedal and DSC intervention status and vehicle speed. All over CAN
          Correct, there are some values the MK60 spits out over CAN. Brake fluid temp is another. Maybe brake pressures were exclusively over KBUS.

Comment

Correct, there are some values the MK60 spits out over CAN. Brake fluid temp is another. Maybe brake pressures were exclusively over KBUS.
            Interesting, do you have the ID for that/those? I heard that the post-e46 would share more data, I haven’t found either of those in mine.

Since we’re on the topic, I believe the MK60 needs an initialization message that includes the VIN and not much else to be happy. Should be easy to spoof for someone who’s motivated, doesn’t have to come from the IKE.
            ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Not exactly sure. All depends on other components within the system and what CAN speed they may be running, etc.

On the E46, if you have an AIM unit without the IKE, you'd have a permanent DSC light and some related codes. If you had the AIM pickup the CAN ID for DSC/MDM status, it would always be on, so you wouldn't be able to tell if there was an actual problem.
              I have a permanent DSC light on because I deleted the yaw sensor and something else. When the ABS isn't working, there is a separate ABS warning light that comes on. Either way I'd have to figure out how to get the CAN data from the MK60 into the AIM? Sorry...I'm dense with this type of stuff. Worst part is I'm asian! lol

Comment

Time to get rid of the crappy eBay Intake and replace it with something that fits the car. The runners on this are impressively nice!

I'm also fairly certain the eBay Intake has been causing an issue with the car sputtering at low RPM, and I also think it was negatively impacting power at high RPM. Who'd have guessed - lol!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231201_204624613.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	244179

Comment

Intake Installed. Really happy with it. All of the vacuum fittings fit nicely, snapping into place (they did not on the old manifold).

IAT sensor is the clip in style which again is an improvement over the old intake which was threaded but ran out of threads before it would reach the seal...

The two piece design is another huge improvement as you can actually service things underneath the manifold by removing just the snorkel, old manifold I couldn't even check Power steering reservoir without removing intake completely.

Quality of intake was great, I didn't find anything wrong it. Im sure the Karb piece is just as nice, if not better, but this one being cheaper + simpler snorkel design felt like a better fit for this build, not trying to make a CSL replica here, just looking for the performance improvement.

Left the Turner sticker on, I really dont care + didnt want to risk scratching the finish when removing. Also despite ECS being ECS which now controls Turner, this is a great piece IMO. They can have their marketing for now lol.

I think the matte finish is a much nicer look but downside is no way to polish/fix any scratches. Well see if we regret this decision down the line.

Name:	IMG_6166.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	244265

Name:	IMG_6170.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	244266

Name:	IMG_6173.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	244267

As you can see I was able to just twist the vacuum line from brake booster to top of manifold and it fits great.

However, when I went to install the Rouge strut bar, it hit this line + more importantly, hit the intake even worse than the old one. Either need to try using spacers or find a different bar.

Name:	IMG_6175.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	244268

Name:	IMG_6176.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	244269

Sucks that we cant test the car out for a few months but I don't expect any issues or significant noticeable improvements, just a massive improvement in quality of the build + easier serviceability.

The old intake worked fine but it really was a piece of shit lol, did not match the rest of the car. We also had issues with oil pooling up inside + low rpm hesitation. No idea if these are due to the manifold itself though, we shall find out. ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                  X