MasterC17's HPDE/Time Attack Track Car (Re)Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MasterC17's HPDE/Time Attack Track Car (Re)Build

It's nice to be back on some M3 forums. Some of you may remember me/my car from back in the M3Forum.net days. RIP. Sad to see that go, and lots of great information and builds with it. Fortunately, I was able to recover most of the information from my car after searching Photobucket, etc.

It's been a long time since I've worked on or driven this car. I purchased it in 2011 with ~105k miles on it - Titanium Silver/Black with SMG. Quickly converted it into a track car and ran it from 2012 through 2014. Car ran nearly flawlessly, but at the end of the 2014 season, I had an issue with the SMG shifting slowly.

Then, I pulled the motor out of it to use as a donor for another M3 I had. Next, I decided to send it to my buddies body shop - the paint wasn't bad but the carbon stuff needed some TLC and I always really wanted Alpine White.

The body shop did a complete inside and out (engine bay, door jams, etc) repaint with new VIN stickers. They installed a carbon roof onto it. But, it took a while. I finally picked it up in 2021. And in just these past few weeks, with a few other project cars gone, it is finally time to get this car back together!

The chassis now has about 110k miles on it. It's incredibly clean, no rust anywhere (Florida car). The donor motor has 80k miles on it. It had an issue with the VANOS bolts that caused timing to jump and two intake valves to hit on Cylinder 6. I just dropped the motor off at the machine shop for a full rebuild.

Here's the planned build, most of which is carryover from the previous iteration. Main changes are the plan to move to a 5-Speed ZF, and just a general refresh of some of the older components.
    Engine
    Fuel Filter
    Spark Plugs
    VANOS Filter
    Beisan VANOS Rebuild
    Ignition Coils
    VAC CSL Race Airbox
    HTE MAP Tune
    Heater Core Delete
    Treated Rod Bearings
    Valve Guides
    Timing Chains
    JE Pistons
    Treated Main Bearings
    ARP Rod Bolts
    ARP Main Bolts
    ARP Head Studs
    Kassel Performance MAP Sensor Kit
    Kassel Performance CPV O-Ring
    R&L Engine Rebuild
    Bimmerworld Braided VANOS Line
    Valve Adjustment
    TurboToy V3 VANOS Hub
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Head Gasket
    Oil Pan Gasket
    Oil Filter Housing Gasket
    Driveline
    Slave Cylinder
    Serpentine Belt
    AKG Steering Coupler
    E34 M5 Clutch (Sachs OEM) - E36 Pressure Plate (or Something)
    OEM Replacement Guibo
    Bimmerworld Solid Race Shifter
    Bimmerworld Little Nicky Shift Knob
    E46 330 Purple Tag Steering Rack
    Tegiwa Driveshaft Spacer for ZF 5-Speed Conversion
    4.10 BMW Motorsport Diff Gearing (33108321899)
    5-Speed 320Z Transmission
    Cooling
    Zionsville Radiator w/ 14" Offset Fan
    BimmerWorld Oil Cooler
    BW Oil Cooler Diverter Valve
    80C Thermostat
    Exhaust
    TopSpeed Headers
    Bimmerworld 3.5" Race Exhaust Side Exit
    Brakes
    F8X M3 Caliper Set Front + Rear (Machining + Adapter)
    Bimmerworld Brake Duct Kit
    F8X M3 Rotors
    G-LOC R10 Brake Pads
    Suspension
    Moton Motorsports 3-Way Adjustable Coilovers
    Treehouse Racing FCAB's
    Ground Control Front Sway Bar
    Ground Control Rear Race Control Arms
    Ground Control RTABS
    BW Rear Subframe Reinforcement
    BW Rear Solid Subframe Mounts Set
    BW Front Subframe Reinforcement (Not Installed)
    BW Solid Motor/Tranny Mounts
    BW Solid Differential Mounts Set
    Rear Knuckle & UCA Bearings/Bushings
    Wheels/Tires
    Apex ARC-8 18x10 ET25
    200TW 275/35/18
    Bimmerworld 92mm Race Studs
    Interior
    Sparco Evo 2 Driver Seat
    Custom Aluminum Seat Floor Mount
    Howard Motorsports Roll Cage
    Custom Floor Pan Driver Side
    6-Point Schroth Harness
    Custom Sparco Steering Wheel w/ Functional Paddles
    Exterior
    BimmerWorld Front Splitter
    BimmerWorld Rear Tall Wing
    Custom Rear Diffuser
    BW Carbon Dive Planes
    MAShaw Carbon GTR Hood
    MAShaw Carbon Doors
    Scorza CSL Trunk
    CSL Carbon Fiber Roof
    Miscellaneous
    AIM Pista MXL OR
    AiM Sports MXG 1.2 Strada
    Aluminum Tow Hook
    BimmerWorld Fuel Starvation Kit
    Helmet Hook
    Wink 5 Panel Mirror
    Lightweight 12V
    Lexan Rear Windshield
    MK60 ABS Module/Booster/MC/Harness/WSS Retrofit
    Miscellaneous OE Replacement Parts

I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress! First thing to tackle is cleaning and refreshing the underbody/suspension.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221203_175416869.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.1 KB ID:	194858

Got the front suspension/subframe/steering rack apart today. The control arm ball joints did not want to come out of the knuckles. I finally got them out, but the rubber seals didn't make it. Not a big deal, since I'm fairly certain they had never been replaced. New ones ordered. Otherwise, got some cleaning done, touched up the paint on the subframe, and swapped in a Purple Tag steering rack! Including a pic of the interior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221204_185201480.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	194930 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221204_185506547.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	194929

Comment

Welcome back and very cool build! I'm curious about the "5-Speed 320Z Transmission". Is that similar to the E36 5-Speed? I'm not familiar with that conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
        Welcome back and very cool build! I'm curious about the "5-Speed 320Z Transmission". Is that similar to the E36 5-Speed? I'm not familiar with that conversion.
        Thanks! That's correct - it's the same thing. The 95 M3 used the ZF "310Z" and the 96-on used the "320Z", in the M3 and several other E36/E46/Z3 models.

Comment

Hey man it was nice to see you at Gridlife earlier this year.

I'm happy that I talked to you about your car. Bring her back out!
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            Hey man it was nice to see you at Gridlife earlier this year.

I'm happy that I talked to you about your car. Bring her back out!
            You too man! I'll have it out at the Lime Rock event next year!

Comment

Front Control Arms + Tie Rods Replaced. Got started on the MK20 -> MK60 retrofit.

Name:	PXL_20221211_215337811.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	196014

Comment

Heck...I think I knew you from the E46Fanatics days. LCI E46 330Ci, right?

Nice color change! I don't know why but I love the way alpine white E46 M3s look. It's a subdued body style with a classic color I guess.

If you have the S54 JB Racing flyheel then you need an E46 M3 pressure plate with the E34 M5 clutch. I've always wondered if I could bolt up an E36 M3 flywheel to the S54 and then use an E36 M3 pressure plate which has more options available. I think Sachs makes an HD/non-SAC version of the pressure plate for the E46 M3. The issue is the E36 and E46 have different diameter pressure plates.

Details on the side exit? Do you the have the total length of the piping?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                  Heck...I think I knew you from the E46Fanatics days. LCI E46 330Ci, right?

Nice color change! I don't know why but I love the way alpine white E46 M3s look. It's a subdued body style with a classic color I guess.

If you have the S54 JB Racing flyheel then you need an E46 M3 pressure plate with the E34 M5 clutch. I've always wondered if I could bolt up an E36 M3 flywheel to the S54 and then use an E36 M3 pressure plate which has more options available. I think Sachs makes an HD/non-SAC version of the pressure plate for the E46 M3. The issue is the E36 and E46 have different diameter pressure plates.

Details on the side exit? Do you the have the total length of the piping?
                  Yup - that was me!

I totally agree, Alpine White is just a great color. Tentatively planning to use an E46 M3 ACT lightweight flywheel.

I'm not certain of the total length of the side exit, but it's using a Bimmerworld Y-Pipe to 3.5" tubing which is probably about 2ft in length or so. Only one exhaust tip is used, the other is for show lol!

Some updates!

The MK60 swap is basically finished, I just need to do the wiring now and get fluid in the system.

The Moton's are installed - once everything else is done will focus on corner balancing, alignment, and damping adjustments.

Got a lot of the exterior bits back on - tail lamps, wing, trim, some glass, etc. Still a bit to do there.

Pedals are in. So manual swap is probably 1/3 of the way done.

Motor is nearly complete at the machine shop, planning to pick up next week.

Still a lot to do, but making progress!

Name:	PXL_20230219_213834395.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	206563

Name:	PXL_20230218_195004965.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	206562

Name:	PXL_20230219_125528124.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	206561

Comment

Here's a closeup of the MK60 swap. Tapped into the existing rear line connection points, but ran new lines everywhere else. These are not easy to bend!

Name:	PXL_20230225_200625194.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	207327

Also a picture of the current wiring (mess). Will be splicing in the MK60 Connector and cleaning everything up, and deleting the things no longer needed (SMG, EWS, etc).

Name:	PXL_20230225_200644796.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	207326

Comment

Small update - received the Rotora Calipers back from powder-coating. Are they the most fantastic brakes on the planet - no. But, they worked perfectly fine before, and given the car is ~2,600lbs and won't be making more than 350whp, it won't take a mega amount of brake. One advantage is that they are very light - I'll post final weights later but my recollection is ~5lbs for the rears and ~8lbs for the fronts. Paired with CSL rotors and good pads it's more than enough. Will be getting all new hardware as well.

Name:	IMG_20230302_083054.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	208126

Comment

Awesome updates. Do you mind posting some pics of the steering column mounting to the roll cage?

Comment

Nice work!

Like the MK60 swap. Job is a pain on a street car, but probably not as terrible with the engine and interior out. Good call on tapping into the rear lines, making new rear ones was easily the worst part when I did mine.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                            Nice work!

Like the MK60 swap. Job is a pain on a street car, but probably not as terrible with the engine and interior out. Good call on tapping into the rear lines, making new rear ones was easily the worst part when I did mine.
                            So what you're saying is track guys have it easy?

Haha...actually we do. I helped someone do a valve adjustment awhile back on a garage queen. I looked at his engine bay and barely recognized anything. I was like...you really need to take all of that crap off? Takes 5 min to get the valve cover off on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

So what you're saying is track guys have it easy?

Haha...actually we do. I helped someone do a valve adjustment awhile back on a garage queen. I looked at his engine bay and barely recognized anything. I was like...you really need to take all of that crap off? Takes 5 min to get the valve cover off on my car.
                              Lol easier is probably more accurate. Soo much stuff in the way on street cars
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X