Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • discoelk
    replied
    Bodywork stuff should be crazy. The NVH change is the most interesting and unexplored thing about it. Almost anyone else doing those mods would be for a track only car.

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

    Ha, how about the line above it?!
    Ah haha - I completely missed that 😂

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post
    Do I read anything into this line? 😉

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-07-11 at 7.08.03 PM.png
Views:	226
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	360781
    Ha, how about the line above it?!

    Mostly several of those items are an exercise to see what is possible in what I’d consider a no-compromise (except $) M3 touring. Fully populating that list but keeping the stock M3 muffler, keeping the hitch, full interior, etc gets you to ~3150lb and 49/51 weight distribution. A couple gallons of water heavier but better weight distribution than the CSL. All with a functional/comfortable back seat and trunk.

    At some point, someone needs to loan me some CSL seats so they can be recreated. Or at least in a non-folding version. Maybe then I’ll do it in due time.

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Do I read anything into this line? 😉

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-07-11 at 7.08.03 PM.png
Views:	226
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	360781

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Thanks guys!

    Worth noting that carbon inherently has much better ability to damp noise than steel, so even the doors and hatch should improve sound deadening, roof too of course. We’ll also be lining them with some fancy lightweight acoustic absorption material (this stuff) and I’ll do some melamine foam in the front doors.

    Here’s the weight distribution all said and done, almost perfect 50/50 (I’d prefer 48/52):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-07-10 at 12.56.31 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	348.5 KB ID:	360755

    And one more thing while we’re in there: M3 mirrors will be going in using Attila’s latest sedan/touring bases with e90 auto-dimming glass and new wiring to replace the sunroof wiring. I’ll be removing that harness - most of it at least.​

    Leave a comment:


  • Ramage
    replied
    This is going to be cool to see come into existence.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    that should be a significant upgrade. Nice!

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Looking forward to that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Loaded the wagon up on a trailer yesterday to make its way to TX. We'll be knocking out the carbon slicktop roof, hatch, doors and (hopefully) trunk floor with quad exhaust at George Hill's place - all said it should total -120lbs and ~6.5% body roll reduction.​

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9414.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	360731
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9385.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	360729
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9384.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	360732
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9383.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	360730

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    as for the driving experience, suspect it’s an expectation issue. As in, it’s not a sports car, it’s a cruiser. Expect a sports car and you will be disappointed.
    Makes sense. I've rode in one, never driven. It felt like a grossly overpriced Z4 to someone who doesn't like convertibles. ​The Z8 is excellent to look at though! What kills me is BMW did a great job of designing the car so you can make the connection to the 507. Couldn't imagine how the BMW Design of today would mutilate a similar project.

    Leave a comment:


  • George Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    My best friend has a b10 e39.
    A B10S? wow, that's a find, they have to be one of the lowest production number cars. What a cool car, lucky guy!

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by George Hill View Post

    Depends on your expectations but cost wise Alpina's are regularly north of $300. Like everything mileage dependent but general rule is they command way more money than the Z8.

    I have a client with a 12k miles Alpina Roadster and he said he specifically searched for it because he thought it was a better GT car than the Z8. The Alpina has a softer suspension and at the time they didn't come with the same run flat the Z8 did. The chassis are known for flexing and the strut towers folding inward. While it happens on Alpina's traditionally is much more common on the Z8s so the idea the Alpina's are more plush seems to be proven by that fact alone. Additionally it was quite common for Z8 owners to swap to Alpina suspension too. I will agree, not a fan of the Alpina wheels, lol. But I've driven both and they are lovely in either form, it is absolutely a subjective opinion and I can see pros and cons of both.

    Interestingly the Alpina M62, makes more down low torque and only slightly less horsepower on paper vs an S62. The Alpina "F5" engine also came in the B10 E39s iirc and I'd really like to drive one of those with an 8spd auto, that would be a sweet combo IMO.

    Having owned and driven every golden era BMW convertible/roadster there really is not a similar experience than cruising a Z8/Alpina Roadster at 85mph top down on the highway, just a lovely car in either form.
    My best friend has a b10 e39.

    …. I like it less than the 530i and m5.

    Leave a comment:


  • George Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Isn’t the alpina worse? Automatic non m engine vs manual m engine, and bigger uglier wheels…
    Depends on your expectations but cost wise Alpina's are regularly north of $300. Like everything mileage dependent but general rule is they command way more money than the Z8.

    I have a client with a 12k miles Alpina Roadster and he said he specifically searched for it because he thought it was a better GT car than the Z8. The Alpina has a softer suspension and at the time they didn't come with the same run flat the Z8 did. The chassis are known for flexing and the strut towers folding inward. While it happens on Alpina's traditionally is much more common on the Z8s so the idea the Alpina's are more plush seems to be proven by that fact alone. Additionally it was quite common for Z8 owners to swap to Alpina suspension too. I will agree, not a fan of the Alpina wheels, lol. But I've driven both and they are lovely in either form, it is absolutely a subjective opinion and I can see pros and cons of both.

    Interestingly the Alpina M62, makes more down low torque and only slightly less horsepower on paper vs an S62. The Alpina "F5" engine also came in the B10 E39s iirc and I'd really like to drive one of those with an 8spd auto, that would be a sweet combo IMO.

    Having owned and driven every golden era BMW convertible/roadster there really is not a similar experience than cruising a Z8/Alpina Roadster at 85mph top down on the highway, just a lovely car in either form.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

    It is a cool 507 tribute and that's it. I don't know if they are universally loved because there are not a lot of people that know this exists. It is a cool car but not $115k salvage title cool.
    It’s loved because it’s one of the best looking cars ever made.

    as for the driving experience, suspect it’s an expectation issue. As in, it’s not a sports car, it’s a cruiser. Expect a sports car and you will be disappointed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Isn’t the alpina worse? Automatic non m engine vs manual m engine, and bigger uglier wheels…

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X