ugaexploder's 2004 SGM/IR - 1st e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

I was absolutely amazed at how fast it arrived since estimates had it at 30-45 working days or something like that...probably just to cover their ass in case FedEx or DHL drops the ball. It arrived on one of those big FedEx trucks used to drop off pallet loads. Packaging is really good, top notch. So much so that I haven't even bothered undoing everything since it will make it harder to keep before the car is ready for the body shop.

I still need to get through Thanksgiving and possibly the holidays before I respray the car. Also need to buy bumpers and maybe the Karb hood as well. But yeah, I look forward to buying more through Schmiedmann, they are awesome.
    good to know! I'll probably go through them when I get one

Comment

Looking good, sir.

I ordered the E46 phone mic from Enfig. Fits it the stock location very nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	242453
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
        Looking good, sir.

I ordered the E46 phone mic from Enfig. Fits it the stock location very nicely.

Name:	IMG_4785.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	242453
        Agreed, they really made the audio portion a breeze. Thanks!
        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

I'm glad I don't get paid to be a planner because it seems like I'm always waiting on parts or ordering the wrong parts. I'm going to give myself a pass here since it was like the first month of ownership, but I ordered the armrest delete console and also the sliding insert is for the car phone 🤣🤣🤣 so there is a gaping hole in there...didn't realize the true sliding console was NLA, so I'm waiting on cupholders

Name:	bn console.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	242729

Name:	new center console installed.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	242730

Was going to go with the oe alcantara shifter boot when I realized I'm going to have like 30 shades of alcantara in there...decided to reach out to maar-shop and order the proper shade of boots. I also purchased my steering wheel, lower wheel trim, and armrest through them. They have the best stitching in my opinion...I ordered through others and the stitching is very inconsistent. Therefore, if you are intent on having M-stitching, I would 100000% order through them. I've wasted hundreds buying crap I can't use or in return shipping buying from other shops.

Name:	steering wheel 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	242728

Name:	driver pov 1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	242725

Name:	driver shot.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	242727
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't think I've ever changed pedal boots in my life, but I saw these on FCP Euro for like $5-6 each so I bought them. Glad I did because the brake pedal had basically all of its "tread" missing 😂

Name:	old brake pedal.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	242732

Name:	new brake pedal.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	242733

Name:	new pedals installed.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	242734

Seems like a lot of boots just come unglued to the little plastic frame...and those little plastic frames, at least the OE ones, cost a fortune...anyway, I was messing around with fitment between the boot and handle for ebrake and realized the stitching was not right. if you look on the left side of the boot, the blue stitching and red stitching are in line...getting the proper ones sent to me...waiting again

Name:	ebrake boot glued.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	242740

Name:	ebrake boot 1.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	242735

Name:	ebrake boot 2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	242736

Name:	ebrake boot 3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	242737

Name:	ebrake boot 4.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	242738

Name:	ebrake boot 5.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	242739

Comment

I don't like working in the cold, so things have been on hold. Finally coming out of hibernation. I've been busy ordering stuff, but not actually doing too much work on the car lately so I thought this may help get me motivated again. Received another e-brake boot from maar-shop, sent me one on the house without hesitation. I'm having a hard time getting the ebrake handle cover back on so excuse the photos, it only has like 2 inches left to go, but will not budge (I know I know, I'll hit it harder with my purse 😂)...I'm afraid I'll have to wiggle it back off and try to use some sort of different lubricant again. The original leather ebrake handle was a pain in the ass to take off, but putting this one on seems way harder. I really do love maar-shop's stitching though, they seem to do a great job, and mostly it's my fault for not buying everything at once to make it easy for them.

Name:	ebrake dvr side.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	252813

Name:	ebrake center.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	252812

Name:	ebrake over.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	252811

The beginning of the year didn't start so great for my daily. Entire neighborhood had their cars broken in to...gladly the bimmers are in the garage.

Name:	IMG_5311.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	252814

Name:	IMG_5310.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	252815

Name:	IMG_5314.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	252818
              Attached Files

Comment

Really like the look of the Karbonius strut bar...I guess a copy of the BMW performance one? But as you all know, requires relocating the positive battery terminal under the bonnet. I decided to order one off eBay to butcher up to see how much fun it is...here are the results.

All I used was this little saw

RANSHOU Japanese Mini Hobby Saw 3"

Name:	screenshot bt1.png
Views:	176
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	252821

Name:	screenshot bt2.png
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	252820

Name:	bt1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	252824

Name:	bt2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	252822

Name:	bt3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	252823

Name:	bt4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	252827

Name:	bt5.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	252825

Name:	bt6.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	252826

Comment

Thank you, Avedis for the idea on the tri-stitch seatbelts and also for helping me get the seatbelts out easily. I used the same vendor as Avedis, the seatbelts should arrive sometime this week. Did the exact same rear middle seatbelt delete, and may also delete the rear headrests as well...not sure if I can delete wipers bc GA :/

I need to figure out the best solution to use to clean up the rear bench area, pretty dingy right now

Name:	rearBench2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	252836

Name:	rearBench3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	252839

Name:	passSeatbelt2.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	252835

Name:	dvrSeatbelt3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	252830
                  Attached Files

Comment

During the winter I went back and forth on whether I'd tackle the roof job...I decided I would, but finding glass shops outside of Safelite to remove front/rear glass has been well impossible. I haven't had a single company reach back out to me...and I've tried many, of course recommendations through the local community first...and nothing. Decided I'm just going to pay a pro to do it which is also not very easy to find depending on where you live. I have an appointment to take the car in at the end of the month to a local collision and restoration shop. Talked to the owner who is known in the local BMW community, and also a pretty cool guy so I decided to go with him. There are other "known" people as well around here, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Karbonius roof, OE CSL bootlid, ebay diffuser, and possible respray...Once I get the car back, I'll throw on the Karb airbox. I feel like I've made some decent progress in a very short period of time with this car. It shows what type of obsession this E46 platform can draw out of people. I must say it's kind of scary at times because it seems to never stop...but I only want a few more things on the car and I think I'm done 👀👀👀

Name:	parts1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	252841

Name:	parts2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	252842

Comment

Thank you, Avedis for the idea on the tri-stitch seatbelts and also for helping me get the seatbelts out easily. I used the same vendor as Avedis, the seatbelts should arrive sometime this week. Did the exact same rear middle seatbelt delete, and may also delete the rear headrests as well...not sure if I can delete wipers bc GA :/
                      The seatbelts are going to look great, they literally look like factory stitched belts.

When you get them they will have two different colored zip ties on them and the seatbelts will be fully extended. There is an instruction sheet telling you which zip ties to cut, and in which order. Don't do what I did and cut them both without reading, locking the belts out.If there's anything you need, feel free to reach out.

Can't wait to see that massive pile of parts installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post

The seatbelts are going to look great, they literally look like factory stitched belts.

When you get them they will have two different colored zip ties on them and the seatbelts will be fully extended. There is an instruction sheet telling you which zip ties to cut, and in which order. Don't do what I did and cut them both without reading, locking the belts out.If there's anything you need, feel free to reach out.

Can't wait to see that massive pile of parts installed.
                        Really appreciate it, I am positive I would have cut both as well! I'm pretty excited, ready to enjoy the car...feels like it's been under the knife ever since I bought it

What would you recommend using to clean up the area under the rear seat bottoms?

Comment

What would you recommend using to clean up the area under the rear seat bottoms?
                          I used CarPro TarX, but any citrus oil based solvent should work just as well. Post 48 in my build thread has some before and afters. Mine was much more wet and gooey, whereas yours looks dry but deeper stained. Either way I’m confident it will show some improvement.
                          Last edited by Avedis; 02-11-2024, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Great update and some nice parts. Looking forward to you getting them installed. I need to get the seatbelts done too but i need a donor set to send them first.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                              Great update and some nice parts. Looking forward to you getting them installed. I need to get the seatbelts done too but i need a donor set to send them first.
                              just sent you a pm regarding seatbelts! think i may have a good lead for you for ones in really good condition.

plan is to take it in to the shop at the end of the month and they’ll likely have it for 6-8 weeks. very excited as well, hoping i will get it back as soon as the weather starts getting nice.

Comment

just sent you a pm regarding seatbelts! think i may have a good lead for you for ones in really good condition.

plan is to take it in to the shop at the end of the month and they’ll likely have it for 6-8 weeks. very excited as well, hoping i will get it back as soon as the weather starts getting nice.
                                Thank you SO much!

Comment

Working...
                                X