No announcement yet.

ugaexploder's 2004 SGM/IR - 1st e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The little felt tape or fabric that was glued on the edges of the door card started lifting in some areas. Decided to use some DAP weldwood contact cement (probably the same everyone uses) to reapply the fabric to the door card.

The trim was purchased off eBay through "dbcarparts" and is pretty good. I did order some M-stitching through them, and personally I would not recommend it. There is another eBay seller known as "maar-shop" who does the absolute best work. I purchased my steering wheel, hand brake/boot cover, and shifter boot from them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	door card felt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	240378
    Last edited by ugaexploder; 11-02-2023, 08:02 AM.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Some more pics of the ashtray. Will probably just use some 3m double-sided tape for the concealed display since it's flopping around now ever since I removed the two center prongs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	modded ashtray 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	240381
      Attached Files

Comment

Previous owner, or the previous owner of the previous owner had some speaker work done...not professionally

Thankfully, they didn't hack in to many wires or anything like that, but they did cut off the connectors in the rear...so I had to order these...I think I'm going to wait until I pull the rear glass when I start on the carbon fiber roof as I don't want to be kneeling on the rear seats with a soldering iron in a cramped space

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear speaker connector 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	240387
        Last edited by ugaexploder; 11-02-2023, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I thought pretty long and hard about which head unit to go with mainly because the Avin and Dynavin units look extremely attractive maintaining a factory appearance. Some of the reasons I didn't go with one of these was that there are many different options and configurations, and the install differs a bit when compared to a traditional aftermarket head unit. The units seem to have a lot of options, and knowing me I would probably want them all which would in turn make the install more tedious for things I don't really want or need.

What is important to me: apple carplay, physical volume knob, and ease-of-installation. I've always liked Sony even though they never really had the best internal amp, but I enjoy their products for the most part. Also has a front charger which I'll probably come to hate, but there aren't many options to charge your phone in this car...I don't want to fiddle around and make USB connections so I thought this would be a good way to charge the
          phone too. Hopefully better than 2A or whatever those little cigarette chargers can do.

I went with the Sony XAV-AX1000. Unit is probably 5 years old now, and they make newer, possibly better ones now but all without a physical control knob. Positive is they mostly seem to have the upper din design allowing them to fit easily around the hvac plastic venting/tube thing. You can find these new for $300...honestly surprised they are still selling them. I'm going to use a cotton swab or q-tip with nail polish remover to get rid of the Sony and Sirius XM logos.

Now, I have no affiliation with Enfig, but they absolutely make everything you need if you decide to go with a Sony head unit. I pretty much ordered everything they sold minus the relo kit since I begrudgingly forked out the money for OE one. They also have 2 really awesome install videos with great commentary.

https://shop.enfigcarstereo.com/bmw-...acement-parts/

Install Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWA..._channel=Enfig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqAw..._channel=Enfig

Click image for larger version  Name:	sony xav-ax1000 front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	240411
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Sony-XAV-AX7000-High-Power-Media-Receiver-Rear-Wiring_0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	240391

This is what the back of my HU looks like...nothing like the stock photo, 0 usb outs compared to 2 shown in the photo. Oh well.

Name:	sony HU back.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	240415
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ugaexploder; 11-02-2023, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Decided to throw on the passenger side door card after tightening up the wobbly side view mirror. Also needed to apply some new butyl adhesive for the vapor barrier as there were several spots where the previous adhesive was either pulled back or failed over time.

Also decided to go with a black airbag logo since the red ones are NLA and the ones I have look like ass. The contrast and proportion actually looks decent

Click image for larger version  Name:	vapor barrier peeled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	240506

Comment

Decided to take a break from the fitment annoyance with the final stage resistor install so decided to route some cable.

Route aftermarket mic and phone cable (main radar line) up A-pillar, video component cable from head unit to trunk, and phone cable from power block near fuse box to head unit area. Wanted to start with the a-pillar area since I knew it was going to be a pain since it's a tight fit. In hindsight, I should have started with the mic cable since they are more difficult to remake connections. The phone cable I decided to cut it and recrimp a RJ-11 connector since I could not wirefish it through the hole.

Name:	fuse tap 1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	240694

Name:	fuse tap 3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	240691

Name:	fuse tap 5.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	240688

Attached Files

Comment

Pulled the rear seats to make my life easier getting the rear door cards out. In my haste to rip out the degrading sound deadening under the rear seats, I think I accidentally started ripping out the sound deadening under the rear bolsters which are different part numbers 51488204059 and 51488204060. The one under the seat is 51488252759 which has been ordered and apparently different from the ones we get from the factory (it has carpet on it).
                ​
                Click image for larger version  Name:	rear seats 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	240800

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear bottom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	240801

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear right 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	240799

Also changed out the upper portion of the rear armrests with the new trim. One thing I noticed is that there are many videos and DIY guides on separating armrest trim, and I think they are mostly wrong on the approach or strategy.

The guides always start by removing the padded portion by prying from the trim. I think the best way is to actually pry the plastic lower portion from the trim first by using trim tools as wedges and of course the most important tool when doing this is actually a 90-degree pick/trim tool. I've seen people try pushing on the tabs inside...this is not possible. What you need to do is pull on what those tabs are latching to using the 90-degree pick tool while also prying or using a trim tool to wedge the trim and plastic apart.

I used a glue gun to keep the padded part attached to the new trim. I'm probably going to have to cut some of the glue off so the plastic lower portion can fit I noticed...

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear armrests 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	240797

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear armrests 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	240798
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ugaexploder; 11-06-2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Had to glue some things up. I feel like it's almost impossible not to break some of the plastic near the double-holes in the lower plastic part of the armrest on all sides.

I may go back later and put some more glue on the speaker to fill the seam between the 3, 6, 9, 12 points. Waiting on the loctite super glue to cure on the armrest part so I can give it a wash and prep it for paint.

Name:	mid bav 1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	240812

Name:	IMG_4880.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	240813

Attached Files

Comment

I ordered an extra pair of rear armrest trim just in case I screwed up prying them apart. Went ahead and gave them a nice little hot wash and scrubbed off the soft-touch paint.

Name:	prepped rear trim vert.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	241368

Little paint setup outside

Name:	rear trim painted.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	241369

Decided to go ahead and remove the logo in case I messed up, and I did!

Name:	HU acetone 1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	241370

Name:	HU acetone 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	241372

I was afraid I was going to eat in to the plastic too much so I stopped right about here and decided I was going to paint it to help blend things.

Name:	HU painted 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	241373

Good enough for gov't work

Name:	HU painted 4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	241374
                    Attached Files

Comment

I finally was able to unsheathe the Sword of Excalibur that is the fucking shift knob, holy mother of hell.

OId new next to new.

Name:	old vs new knob 1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	241376

New knob and boot

Name:	new knob and shift boot 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	241377

I've been going back and forth between Karb and OE for the bootlid...decided to pick up the OE one through Schmiedmann.

Name:	IMG_4943.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	241378

Comment

Pretty good price on the boot lid compared to US prices, is that price shipped to US?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
                          Pretty good price on the boot lid compared to US prices, is that price shipped to US?
                          After currency exchange it came out to $2,591.66 shipped to the US which was similar to the Karbonius lid in terms of price shipped so I said screw it, I'd rather have OE fitment. Yeah, I think ECS/Turner charges way more, along the lines of $3,400 USD shipped if I recall...but you do get the benefit of their newly-stated lifetime program. I'm just not sure if the extra $800 is worth that for me.
                          Last edited by ugaexploder; 11-11-2023, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Was putting together the center dash/console when I realized I purchased an armrest delete console....waiting on the proper one right now. The OE CSL trunk from Schmiedmann already came in...ordered on 11/10, arrived on 11/14...nuts

Name:	oe csl trunk 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	242259

Got the head unit installed, everything seems to be working fine...except the speakers. Working on replacing the amp and whatever the other unit is above that. The trim I ordered on eBay looks a little wonky on the transition to the passenger side trim...pretty annoying and may look in to replacing in the future...looks okay at night though 😂

Name:	HU installed 1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	242256

Name:	HU installed 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	242257

Name:	HU installed 3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	242258

Name:	V2 concealed display.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	242260
                            Attached Files

Comment

That trunk shipped so quick! How was the packaging from Schmiedmann?

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                                That trunk shipped so quick! How was the packaging from Schmiedmann?
                                I was absolutely amazed at how fast it arrived since estimates had it at 30-45 working days or something like that...probably just to cover their ass in case FedEx or DHL drops the ball. It arrived on one of those big FedEx trucks used to drop off pallet loads. Packaging is really good, top notch. So much so that I haven't even bothered undoing everything since it will make it harder to keep before the car is ready for the body shop.

I still need to get through Thanksgiving and possibly the holidays before I respray the car. Also need to buy bumpers and maybe the Karb hood as well. But yeah, I look forward to buying more through Schmiedmann, they are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X