No announcement yet.

ugaexploder's 2004 SGM/IR - 1st e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realized after chattin it up with inlinesix123, I didn't really update this thread with what is going on with the car. I dropped off the car at a fairly local collision and restoration shop this past Monday (2/26/24).

They are going to be tackling the CF roof install, installing CSL trunk, and respraying the exterior. There are other details that are being taken care of such as quarter panel trim, a-to-c trim, gas filler rubber, and a bunch more to try and restore the car as much as possible.

I decided to leave the roof with the varnished look, paint the roof rails gloss black, and everything else a refresh in Silver Grey. They told me that their estimate is right around 4-6 weeks for completion which I am completely fine with. The car should be completely transformed...once I receive the car, I'll probably look into installing the Karb intake...not really looking forward to it.

I actually would rather look in to getting the BBK's on the car...while the car is in the shop, I'll look into getting the headliner reupholstered in alcantara more than likely, and getting the calipers paint-matched. Outside of that, my future goals are to get a rebuilt diff from diffsonline, and to get some heated seats in the car. Maybe some new wheels in the future as well...even though I like the TA5R's, I really want some Bronze lightweight forged ones. Probably won't provide any meaningful updates for a while...until then, good luck with your rides.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

I gotta come over and get some laps in on that sim in the mean time!
      2003 E46 M3 Titanium Silver / Black

Dinan Section 3 - Dual Resonated Sec 1 - Dinan Springs & Bilstein Shocks - GruppeM Intake - Dinan Front & Rear Strut Bars - Hotchkis Front Sway Bar

www.instagram.com/nextlvel

Comment

Originally posted by nextlvel View Post
        I gotta come over and get some laps in on that sim in the mean time!
        anytime dude!!

Comment

Well, that escalated quickly. It went from tri-stitch seatbelts to full on respray with CSL parts in one post!

I'm just jealous that I don't have a bodyshop I trust in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post
            Well, that escalated quickly. It went from tri-stitch seatbelts to full on respray with CSL parts in one post!

I'm just jealous that I don't have a bodyshop I trust in my area.
            I'm not gonna lie, I was going back and forth with myself on whether I was going to take it to them all the way until I dropped it off. Thankfully, they've been great to work with so far but it seems like a crapshoot.

I really wanted to get a euro bumper or the holy grail, one of the MEC ones but decided I'd just respray the one I have since it's in okay condition. Maybe I'll spring for the MEC bumper down the road, it's so sweet. Looking forward to seeing yours on the car.

Comment

You can buy Alcantara fabric from a few places online, all similar in price around ~$150/yd...doesn't seem to matter if it's foam-backed or not which is probably just the price for everyone who's not a retailer. After reading around it seemed like safe side would be 2 yards of foam-backed, and 1 yard of unbacked fabric...which comes out to $450, plus still need adhesive, and some other materials to remove the old foam from the headliner. I figured it would probably not cost much more going to an upholstery shop, and I wasn't far off. Dropped off the headliner, pillars, and other pieces to be wrapped by SR Auto Upholstery off Buford Hwy. Really good folks over there, and he has all sorts of different options...almost went for the OE type fabric but just did the safe thing and did the Alcantara...looks like 9040.

Some pics of the slicktop headliner I sourced on FB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slicktopheadliner3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	256024

Name:	slicktopheadliner1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	256025

Name:	slicktopheadliner2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	256026

Comment

I asked about the sun visors to see if he could wrap those and he told me it would be a monumental effort and time to do it properly. He mentioned that most places just cover the entire thing making the mirror unusable. I didn't like that idea so I just decided to blast it with some more that duplicolor flat black fabric and vinyl paint. Some pics of the before and after, reminded me of the similar faded color of the rear decklid. Taping up the little plastic pieces was fun, it turned out okay...I should have probably cleaned up the residue from the airbag sticker a bit better before painting. I decided to order some new stickers to cover that area up 😂

Name:	fadedVisors1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	256028

Name:	fadedVisors2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	256029

Name:	fadedVisors3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	256030

Name:	paintedVisors1.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	256031

Name:	paintedVisors2.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	256032

Comment

In Marietta and down for a meet up.
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                    In Marietta and down for a meet up.
                    I'm amazed at how many active members we have in the ATL area, I love it. We definitely need to schedule a meet, see if we can get a nice little crew from the forums together. A great friend of mine is a cinematographer, and while car videos aren't really his thing, I'm sure he could put together something for us that would be pretty cool.

Comment

Sounds good. We could do our own thing if there are enough of us, or meet up at the BMW CCA in Alpharetta or maybe the Sunday Morning Worship cars and coffee in Roswell.
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                        Sounds good. We could do our own thing if there are enough of us, or meet up at the BMW CCA in Alpharetta or maybe the Sunday Morning Worship cars and coffee in Roswell.
                        That sounds good, I'll take a look at the schedule and give you a heads up. Will shoot you a PM.

Comment

I'd also join if I'm free. Kinda over caffeine and octane and 5000 dodge chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
                            I'd also join if I'm free. Kinda over caffeine and octane and 5000 dodge chargers.
                            Agreed.

Have you been to Morning Worship in Roswell? First Sunday of the month. Always a nice turnout. Lots of variety and laid back. 1135 Woodstock Rd. Roswell 30075
                            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Nice build!!!
                              2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
                                Nice build!!!
                                appreciate the kind words, looking forward to your build thread man!!

Comment

Working...
                                X