'06 ZCP Street Build - A Continuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'06 ZCP Street Build - A Continuation

A few months ago, I bought Good's E46. I promised I would make a build thread, and finally, a few months later, here we are. Some changes have already happened since I bought the car, and I'll do my best to document it.

The backstory:
    This car replaced our MK5 A91 Supra which was my wife's fun car. My weekend/track car is a S2000 and she really wanted a fun car of her own, and kept complaining that I only bought high revving NA cars with no torque. She finally had her eyes set on a Supra and we bought an essentially-brand-new gorgeous refraction blue example. The Supra was stupid fast, torque throughout the RPM range, and we both loved the aggressive styling. But it was a boring car to drive unless you were driving 10/10ths and the interior was cramped with poor visibility. Go-to-jail speeds happened almost immediately with no drama. The car had sports car styling but drove like a luxury GT -- and for that -- it only sat 2. For that kind of 'cruiser' driving experience we would have preferred 4 seats. The car ended up staying in a storage facility rarely being driven. Somehow we didn't know we needed an E46 in our lives until we drove our friend's PY E46 M3

The M3 was a breath of fresh air. Clarity. Honesty. No iDrive. No driver profiles. No pops and crackles. Visibility for days. Classic styling. Sounded like a hoonigan. Fun to drive even just cruising. Fast and powerful enough. An intoxicating engine. Small package. Room for 4. Big boot.

I started to look. I'm no stranger to BMWs. I've had an E46 and a couple E36s including a street/track E36 M3 that I owned, modified, tracked, for 8 years. When it came to the E46, whatever E46 I bought was not going to stay stock, and it was going to stay in our garage for a long time.
    Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 07-04-2023, 12:05 AM.

Good's car:
    Two weeks later Good posted his car up for sale. I'll just copy his TW post below. He built his M3 as a keeper with no expenses spared. It wasn't an original car but it fit what I was looking for: an obsessively maintained driver in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition with the majority of modifications that I was interested in already done. HTE dyno & street tuned Karbonius setup with full SS exhaust, BBK, recently repainted front end with a Mile-End bumper, ACL bearings, CMP reinforcement, full VANOS lockdown. And most of all, you buy the seller. Good had taken excellent care and ownership of the car which showed in its condition. We flew down to LA with a friend and drove it back to the Bay Area.

2006 BMW E46 M3 Competition Pkg.
    -6-Speed Manual, 107k Miles, Silver-Grey

Exterior:
    CSL Front Bumper (Mile-End 1:1)
    CSL Diffuser (Mile-End 1:1)
    Genuine BMW Headlight Lens
    Genuine BMW Headlight Upper Trim
    Genuine BMW New Bonnet/Hood
    New OEM Windshield
    Genuine BMW Upper Windshield gasket
    Genuine BMW Hood Grill
    Genuine BMW Radiator Front Bumper Grill
    OEM Fender Side-indicator markers
    OEM Left & Right Turn Signals
    Genuine BMW Hood Emblem
    Genuine BMW Wheel Fender Liners

Interior:
    Euro Center Console (Genuine BMW)
    Euro Center Console Slider Insert (Genuine BMW)
    Passenger Side Window Switch (Genuine BMW)
    Front A Pillars (Genuine BMW)
    Front A Pillar Airbag Covers (Genuine BMW)
    Rear B Pillars (Genuine BMW)

Wheels:
    BBS E88’s (F-18x9.5 +22, R-18x10.5 +22)
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (F-245/40/18, R-275/35/18)
    Motorsport Hardware Wheel Studs & Hardware

Brakes:
    Brembo 996 BBK (Genuine Porsche)
    CSL/ZCP Rotors (Genuine BMW)
    OE Porsche 996 Textar Brake Pads
    Front Brembo Caliper Carrier Brackets
    DSC/ABS Pressure Sensors (Genuine BMW)

Steering Components:
    Steering Coupler (Genuine BMW)
    Power Steering High Pressure Hose (Genuine BMW)

Engine:
    Rod Bearings (ACL)
    NGK Spark Plugs
    Coilpack (Genuine BMW)
    Fuel Injectors (Genuine BMW)
    CSL Airbox (Karbonius 1:1)
    CSL OE Ducting (Genuine BMW)
    CSL Map Sensor (Genuine BMW)
    CSL Intake Flap (Genuine BMW)
    CSL Dipstick (Genuine BMW)
    CSL Air Shutoff Valve (Genuine BMW)
    CSL IAT Sensor (Genuine BMW)
    Turner Motorsport IAT Adapter
    Active Autowerke Power Pulley Kit
    HTE Performance Dyno Tuned (OE CSL Software)
    Spal 2024 Electric Engine Fan (Replaces Fan Clutch)
    N15 Fan Mount w/ Aux Bracket
    Topside TPS Sensor (Genuine BMW)
    Lower TPS Sensor (Genuine BMW)
    Accelerator Pedal (w/ Sensor) (Genuine BMW)
    Engine Temperature Sensor (Genuine BMW)
    Under Belly Pan Brackets (Genuine BMW)

Exhaust:
    Supersprint Stepped V1 Oversized Headers
    Supersprint Stepped V1 Race HJS Catted Sec 1
    Supersprint Stepped Oversized Resonated Sec 2
    Dinan Muffler

Suspension:
    MCS 1 Way Coilovers
    Vorshlag Camber Plates
    400lb F / 650 lb R
    Ground Control Rear Height Adjusters
    AKG Rear Shock Mounts Spherical 12MM Bearings Ground Control Nylon Spring Allignment Cones
    Eibach Pro-Allignment Rear Camber Arms
    Whiteline Front Endlinks
    Rogue Engineering Rear Strut Brace
    CMP Solid Subframe Bushings
    CMP Differential Solid Bushings
    Syncro Design Works Monoball RTABS
    Genuine BMW Giubo
    Genuine BMW Center Support Bearing/Mount
    Genuine BMW Transmission Mounts

Transmission:
    Genuine BMW Clutch
    Genuine BMW Flywheel

Beisan Vanos Lockdown:
    Upper Guide Chain
    Oil Pump Disk
    Rattle Repair Kit
    Solenoid Coil Pack
    Sealing Plate Seals
    Valve Cover Gasket
    CAN Gear and Vanos Bolts
    Vanos Pressure Regulator Filter
    Hub Springs

Subframe Mounting Points Reinforced:
    CMP Chassis Oversized Reinforcement Plates​
    Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 07-04-2023, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Goals, changes:
      I drive my cars. This car is going to be the fun-road-trip car, date night / weekend car, and track time once or twice a year at most. It needs to tingle the senses at both 3/10 and at 10/10ths. At 10/10ths, the inputs need to be linear, it needs to be predictable, balanced, easily modulated on the edge. At 3/10ths, it needs to be comfortable.
      The backroads north of the Golden Gate have a lot of elevation changes, camber changes, and sometimes are just straight-up in bad condition, resembling more like a rally stage. A car with a little bit more "give" and travel in suspension tends to do better out here and is a lot more comfortable. A stock BRZ holds a master class in handling on roads like these.

The car got paint corrected, PPF'd, and ceramic coated to deal with the inevitable stones the front end would catch:

Installed a new OE diff cover with OE diff bushings.
      And...removed the E88s in favor of APEX ARC-8 18x9.5 ET 35 on 275/35/18 Michelin P4S. Blasphemy, I know.
      Installed the rear seats back in
      Removed the Rogue Engineering rear strut bar
      NVH is 100x improved. With the SS V1 oversized headers + SS / HJC catted & resonated section 2 + Dinan muffler + Karbonius box, it's refined when cruising and screams when on it. Just what I wanted.

The car had been stuck in sport mode due to the tune which made mid-corner throttle modulation a challenge.
      Thanks to the help and documentation of this forum I installed BMW tools and learned how to use hexedit / TunerPro / BMWFlash to reflash sport mode back to stock behavior.

Lastly, the stock driver's seat had to go. I chose a Recaro Pole Position as it has wider hips than a SPG which fits a larger range of drivers. It's mounted on Brey Krause mounts using the OE powered sliders. The setup has a huge front-to-back range but still sits a little bit low for my wife. We will still need to make her a foam insert...

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 07-04-2023, 12:10 AM.

Comment

The car was rubbing a lot on the upper frame rail at the prior ride height, it had been around 12.25" up front. This was mostly cured after raising it to 13.25" - we shook it down on a 150 mile backroad loop for the first time last week after owning it for almost 4 months. It handles surprisingly well. Good turn in. Throttle can now be modulated mid corner, the car is comfortable, and it rips! It's getting there.

And that is how the car sits now with the following changes from when I first got it:
        -rear seat re-installed
        -OE diff bushings back in / new diff cover
        -PPF'd/ceramic'd/ceramic tint
        -rear quarter window seals replaced
        -APEX ARC8
        -rear strut tower brace removed
        -sport mode memory reverted back to stock
        -Recaro Pole Position installed
        -front end raised to 13.25"

We booked a road trip to Eureka with at the end of July with friends and of course at the beginning of the refresh I told myself it would be plenty of time to get everything done beforehand. Well, it's still due for a final alignment and a couple more line items before we go, and the road trip is only a few weeks away, but we have really made some progress. Looking forward to taking it on the road trip. My documentation thus far has totally stunk, but I'll be sure to take a lot more higher-quality photos on the trip.

Comment

Are you selling the E88s? LOL

Love this car. I remember seeing the for sale ad
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Good (no pun intended) intro and reasons for the changes you've made, a lot of this stuff comes down to taste or pirority for type of usage.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Saw it parked at Malibu CnC a year or so ago.

Glad to see it's in good hands.

And the only way to get a Supra is a with a manual bro.

👀
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Beautiful ///M. Congrats. Preferred the look on the E88s LOL but still looks gorgeous. Enjoy in the best of health.

Comment

Who replaced your rear window seals? I'm also in the Bay Area and looking to have that done.
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                    Who replaced your rear window seals? I'm also in the Bay Area and looking to have that done.
                    Evan Morsey did mine (found him on one of the FB BMW groups) and he has done quite a few. Here is his profile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4587...ser/536145245/

He's located in South Bay and is an E46 M3 owner who has done a number of these seal replacements. Definitely an enthusiast and would recommend him.

Comment

Picked up the car from VT Motorworks after it had some work done.
                      I thought the PS pump was bad (there was a marbles-in-a-can noise) and turns out one of the bolts holding the PS pump to the block was loose, backed off into the PS pulley and caused havoc. Yeesh.
                      The underdrive PS pulleys were replaced with OE pulleys for the time being and the steering was flushed with ATF

Alignment. It's labor intensive to get an alignment right but they did a good job. I was looking for a street friendly setup for the PS4S that still retained some camber so the outside shoulder doesn't get totally melted. Usually I run 0 toe up front but wanted to give a touch of toe in up front a try. So far it's got some nice stability and is more relaxed on the highway. A little bit of toe in in the rear as well as the rear end tends to toe out under compression.

Had a chance to run some onramps with it on the way back. Car has a steady state understeer balance with the TMS bar up front on full soft even with the square 275 setup. It's more neutral than it was before though. OK for now and will do more shakedown before deciding on whether I'll be adjusting/changing out the bar setup.

And best part - switched OE CSL dipstick to a modified non-CSL one. I can now check the oil without removing the strut bar and the airbox!

Those who are wondering about the E88s. I still have them and love the look too. Torn on keeping them or selling them but happy to take offers.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post

And best part - switched OE CSL dipstick to a modified non-CSL one. I can now check the oil without removing the strut bar and the airbox!
                        This is one of the best locations I've seen.

Do you have details on this? Was the OE non-CSL dipstick just bent to that location? Or was it modified in other ways (i.e., lengthened)?

I like the E88s too. :-) On silver cars, I think those wheels look fantastic. I'd make you an offer if I was on the right coast.
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

This is one of the best locations I've seen.

Do you have details on this? Was the OE non-CSL dipstick just bent to that location? Or was it modified in other ways (i.e., lengthened)?

I like the E88s too. :-) On silver cars, I think those wheels look fantastic. I'd make you an offer if I was on the right coast.
                          To get it there, you usually have to route the dipstick tube under the wiring harness. Everytime the engine moves, it will slightly pull on the dipstick and on the wiring harness. Not to mention that the dipstick tube gets hot and it is contacting the rubber tube for the harness.

Comment

The OE dipstick was bent to this location and it’s secured just with a nut / bolt in place. I’ll grab a pic of how it’s routed next time the snorkel is off, I’m also curious how they routed it. The shop (VT Motorwerks) has done a lot of their dipsticks this way on the various CSL boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
                              The OE dipstick was bent to this location and it’s secured just with a nut / bolt in place. I’ll grab a pic of how it’s routed next time the snorkel is off, I’m also curious how they routed it. The shop (VT Motorwerks) has done a lot of their dipsticks this way on the various CSL boxes.
                              Appreciate it!
                              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X