No announcement yet.

Slavik's 2002 Carbon Schwarz M3 6 Speed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been lazy with the updates. I finally received my CSL mid-pipe a few weeks ago. Was really curious to see how much weight it will save me. Turns out the thin wall stainless steel pipes will save you 4lbs.

CSL Mid-Pipe Weight:

OEM Mid-Pipe Weight:

Both of the mid-pipes side by side before I had the new one installed.

... and just out of curiosity, I weighed the OEM muffler versus the weight of my Dinan unit (9 lbs savings):

2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Scored a few Dinan goodies from a local parting out a Dinan S2 M3 with 80k miles. I managed to pick up the 3.91 differential and a 27mm adjustable front sway. I was on the hunt for one of those differentials for a while now!

Didn't wait too long to get them installed...

The 3.91 is on the cart:

All buttoned up except V-brace:

I will be coming back to the differential to repaint the case and clean up the rust. The subframe will need to be reinforced from the top and stitched on the bottom this winter.

Dinan front sway bar going in to replace the 27mm convertible bar that I had:

Comment

Went for a short drive on Sunday to test the 3.91 differential. I have to say, the car feels alot more alive. The purpose was never to get better acceleration, but it was welcomed improvement. My main reason for getting the differential was to see if it the car would be geared more appropriately for our mountain roads. The differential did deliver. I am up couple hundred revs and it puts the engine in its sweet spot through the corners. One drawback is diff whine on highway speeds. I will have to see if I can do something about that.

Doing some reading on M5Board, it seems that polishing the gear may do the trick.

Comment

Last of my quarantine purchases have came in😁.

Though shortly after opening them, my excitement died down. I was a little disappointed to see that all of the O2 sensor plugs were missing and one flange was a 3/16ths of an inch off. Technically, it should be snug ones it is bolted down to the cylinder head. Contacted ECS Tuning to see what they say.

Can't wait to get them installed though once the issues are resolved.

Comment

REM polishing the diff won't do anything. My Dinan diff is REM polished and it whines like crazy on accel and decel. I have different clutch packs tho.

Thought you already had SSV1s installed tho?
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
              REM polishing the diff won't do anything. My Dinan diff is REM polished and it whines like crazy on accel and decel. I have different clutch packs tho.

Thought you already had SSV1s installed tho?
              Thanks for the input. I also read that adding some Redline friction modifier may quite things down but the draw back is that it clutches don't grab as well? Any thoughts.

I did have a set but I got rid of them for emission reasons. The ones I had were catless. This time ECS had a good deal on cats and headers.

Comment

Packed up some necessities and went for a camp/drive to Virgina/Tennesse:

Originally, planned as a three day drive (Friday to Sunday), but ended up as a two day because my brother ran out of front tires. All in all it was an awesome trip. We put in 535 miles round trip with both cars not skipping a beat. I couldn't ask for a better weekend with temperatures being upper 70's/lower 80's and no humidity.

Comment

Are there any differences between a stock OE section 2 and the CSL section 2, aside from weight savings?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
                    Are there any differences between a stock OE section 2 and the CSL section 2, aside from weight savings?
                    Nope, weight is the only difference between the two.

Comment

Very cool to see! Since the wall is thinner, if the csl one has at least the same OD, than the ID would be slightly bigger. Not much, but maybe a couple of ponies :P
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

Thanks for the input. I also read that adding some Redline friction modifier may quite things down but the draw back is that it clutches don't grab as well? Any thoughts.

I did have a set but I got rid of them for emission reasons. The ones I had were catless. This time ECS had a good deal on cats and headers.
                        I'm partial to only OE fluids in this car. I haven't heard of the clutches not grabbing as well with Redline in the diff but the M Variable unit struggles with OE fluid too. Luckily there are many companies that make "plug and play" clutch packs with more aggressiveness to them for you.
                        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                        2005 BMW ///M3
                        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Since I couldn't get on top of my overheating issues, I decided to park the car for the winter. Big plans for the winter. First and foremost, I ordered myself a weld in stealth VinceBar due to the fact that my reinforced RACP started to split. Next on the list was a project that I am really looking forward to. Picked up a complete wiring harness from a 2006 M3. The purpose of this is to do a Mk60 conversion. All parts came out of a low mileage SMG M3. In my pursuit of lightweight, I will be pulling out all of the unnecessary plugs and just leaving in what I need. To finish everything off, I will be fitting a set of Porsche brakes with PFC V3 rotors.

The progress so far...

Waiting for the weekend to swap out the harness and remove some other parts. A full under body wash is in order prior to assembly.

Comment

The FM LSD thing is about finding the sweet spot for your car where there's enough FM in the lube to keep it quiet and not be so touchy, but not so much that it allows the clutch to just slip too easily. It's not about the brand or even which chemicals that brand uses. It's just about the quantity you need to reach that point.

It's hard to know if the OE fluid, with the FM booster, is the correct amount. It does seem to quiet everyone's down, but how do we know if it's allowing for slipping? I used the OE fluid (sans FM booster), much cheaper, then added in "Lubegard" LSD FM (great brand). I actually stopped at the point where I could still just barely hear some groaning on a tight turn. Just so I knew it was still grabbing hard.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Had some time after work today to pull out all of the wiring. Even got around to removing the sunroof. It will not be making its way back...

Next on the list will be a good wash to get out all of the dirt and debris before I dive into the top subframe reinforcement.

Comment

More parts arrived...

Going with CMP's solid bushings for the rear and Stealth Vincebar (weld-in version).

Comment

Working...
                                X