Slavik's 2002 Carbon Schwarz M3 6 Speed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some dirty work over the weekend...

Got out the P21s, a brush and the pressure washer to clean out the underside and engine bay of the chassis before I start running the wiring and subframe reinforcement.

Engine Bay Before/After:

Front Left Wheel Arch Before/After:

Front Right Wheel Arch Before/After:

Rear Left Wheel Arch Before/After:

Rear Right Wheel Arch Before/After:

Fuel Tank Housing Area Before/After:

2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Started to tinker with the wiring today...

I will be de-pining all of the options that I do not want on my car. The first to go was the speaker wiring and side air bags on the doors.

I plan on removing the following options from the 06 M3 SMG wiring:
      -SMG wires
      -SMG hood lock wires
      -Sunroof wires
      -Secondary air injection wires
      -PDC wires
      -Door air bag wires
      -Heated and power seats wires
      -Any audio wiring that is left on the main harness

All of the wires will be weighed at the end to see how much weight was saved.

Comment

All of unnecessary wiring has been removed which nets a 5 lbs. weight savings:

Comment

Lots of nice work going on and very satisfying to see a clean and rust free underside!

Comment

EPIC Journal !!!

Thank you for the write up. I have to be honest, I am feeling pretty inadequate right now 😦

My journal is the equivalent of a few average detailing sessions 😿

And that under carriage care, I love that. I have a total fetish and watch all the reddish motor sports under carriage rehabs . . .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAzyc8S6boE

Totally following!

Comment

Thanks guys...

Put in a little bit more work over the course of the month.

Wiring is all buttoned up with OEM tape:

All of the electrical components installed and checked to see if everything is functioning properly... All components work but the DME needs to be flashed to manual:

Installing the Mk60 hardware...

Happy to save 10.55 lbs from the Mk20 and have a better braking system...😁

Had to source a 2003 Mk60 DSC Sensor bracket since the mounting holes of the 2005 do not align:

Finally, some carpeting is going back in...

Comment

Curious to know the final weight, once the car is put back together.

Comment

Amazing work. Did you figure out a way to code out the PDC? I also removed mine and would like to clean up those codes permanently if possible.

Edit: answered my own question! Completely removing the PDC module removed the codes.
                  Last edited by robgill; 01-15-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopyspec View Post
                    Curious to know the final weight, once the car is put back together.
                    I will definitely be weighing it with fluids and without. I will try put together a list of what was done to achieve the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                      Amazing work. Did you figure out a way to code out the PDC? I also removed mine and would like to clean up those codes permanently if possible.

Edit: answered my own question! Completely removing the PDC module removed the codes.
                      Thanks,

Mine never showed codes since I pulled all of the wires anyway and there was no fuse associated with it. Also, I ended up using my old GM5 module to be sure my key would work.

Comment

What's that module in the middle, where the armrest would be, basically?
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Took a road trip at the beginning of January to The BMW Part Store. I couldn't pass up on the 10% that they offered until New Years. I needed a new windshield and a slicktop headliner for the carbon roof anyway and the $100 off was a nice bonus. My sister lives in Lexington, KY so it was sort of kill 2 birds with one stone.

All loaded up and ready to take it back. Yep, took my older son with me 😀:

They had a nice collection of classic BMW's. 🤤

Moved to the rear end of the car. Decided to tackle the Vincebar reinforcement before continuing assembly...
                          I first checked the plates that were previously installed for cracking and thankfully there were none.

Next, I removed the seam sealer from the apron that I saw a crack forming on the driver side rear wheel well. This revealed two popped spot welds.

Now onto to top side reinforcement...
                          Brace panel cutout and test fitted the stealth bar

Front gussets cutout and ground down to bare metal

A bit of etch primer

Back of the gussets treated with weld-through primer

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            What's that module in the middle, where the armrest would be, basically?
                            That's the air bag module.

Comment

Over the weekend, I got everything ready to start the welding process.
                              Weld through primer for the gussets

The rear brace was test fitted and a donor cover panel was sourced. My panel had windows cut out from the previous subframe reinforcement

Also, since the plates did not need any attention, I went through with etch primer, primer and a couple of coats of light green paint to try match the underneath of the original e-coat. Didn't quite match but better than leaving it grey or black. There will be some beige seam sealer later to further try match it.

Comment

Amazing work here wow

Comment

Working...
                                X