No announcement yet.

Slavik's 2002 Carbon Schwarz M3 6 Speed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the help of my brothers welding skills, we finished the RACP reinforcement. On Thursday we installed the Vincebar and the front gussets. All of the exposed metal was either etch primed or weld through primed where we were to weld. I also set the center section of the Vincebar on panel bond.

On Friday we welded the cover panel and put on some seam sealer.

Next on was the etch primer, primer and paint to match the factory as close I could.

Finished result with the rear pad/carpet installed. Only thing left to do is to drill out the holes for the nuts holding the rear subframe bolts.

On Sunday, I decided to wash all of the undercarriage pieces. I want them clean prior to installation. Made a mess out of the garage.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by slavik1988; 02-16-2021, 09:59 AM.
    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Yeah, super clean vincebar install. Mine is just covered in black POR15 - functional but not pretty

Comment

Great work!
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
          Yeah, super clean vincebar install. Mine is just covered in black POR15 - functional but not pretty
          Thanks,

The main thing is to install it correctly and make sure it doesn't rust there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Great work!
            Thank You!

Comment

Made some progress during the week. Mounted the rear brake lines, fuel lines and EVAP line. Prior to installing the gas tank, I drained all of the fuel out of it. First was to ease with the installation and the second reason behind it was to get my M3's dry weight without any fluids.

Finally, I got around to drilling out the holes for the nuts that will bolt down the Vincebar to the subframe. I will need to find the correct side grommet to cover the holes.

Comment

Nice, I just went through the exact same process. Very rewarding. Well done!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Installed CMP raising solid subframe bushings and a new OE BMW differential mount.

Rear subframe installed. Trimmed the rear dust shields while at it for the 996 brake conversion:

Last edited by slavik1988; 03-02-2021, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Not much progress over the weekend. Instead, I chose to focus on cleaning up the garage. Not finding the correct sockets started to piss me off. Only was able to clean up the 987 Boxster calipers over the weekend. Seals looked good so I did not bother getting new ones just yet since I don't know if I want to paint these black or keep them as they are.

Last night I had the ECS Tuning monoball rear strut caps and 550 lbs Hyperco springs fitted and the rear calipers w/rotors on as well. Contemplating on running linear springs instead of progressive. I find the progressive springs not to my liking.

Comment

Had a massively productive weekend. On Friday, I installed the SS headers as well as all new Viton o-rings in preparations of engine installation on Saturday.

Over the course of the weekend my brother and I were able to get the M3 pretty much buttoned up from the exterior and on its wheels. Waiting on brake fluid to bleed the brakes and clutch.

Waiting on my windshield guy to come over on Tuesday to remove the glass so I can get on the CF roof install. 😀

Comment

Very impressive work! Excited to see this buttoned up and back on the road.

Comment

Lookin forward to hearing your feedback on the solid subframe bushings. Im considering going that route on my street/track car. What did you use for outer/inner control arm bushings?

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                            Lookin forward to hearing your feedback on the solid subframe bushings. Im considering going that route on my street/track car. What did you use for outer/inner control arm bushings?
                            From what CMP told me, I shouldn't have any more NVH. I splurged on some CSL lower camber arms because lower weight and sealed monoball design. The only other camber arm that does it is Bimmerworld, but they weigh a bit more.

Comment

My windshield guy came through yesterday. It was late at night but the job was done...

Proceeded to remove the roof, not much was done.
                              Last edited by slavik1988; 03-12-2021, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Finished off the roof install with my brother yesterday. Very pleased with how it all turned out.

Comment

Working...
                                X