Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

Including the hybrid styles? I'm planning to replace the TC Kline plates currently on my car and NVH is a concern.

Great job and thanks for documenting all of this. I can appreciate the reasoning behind the choices you've made. Looking forward to more reviews of the suspension!
    I had the hybrids before. They're closer to street than monoball in NHV. They're a nice product.

Mostly I don't think there's a ton of increased precision to be had from the monoballs/hybrids over street plates (as in, it's not hold chassis geometry like control arm monoballs) and they are a significant NHV contributor. So, the trade off didn't seem worth it to me.

... and the hybrid TMS camber plates have gotten crazy expensive, once you add the perches and shock adapters (and I sold my previous set with the Ohlins).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Ha... more involved question than you might think.

I found a line barely barrel springs that eibach makes, which they call their extreme travel line. That allowed me to use a shorter spring (6" IIRC) up front, while still having sufficient travel, which puts the perch above the tire at my desired ride height, allowing me to run bigger tires without compromising offsets (lets me run an ET35 front, which allows me to not have stupid camber to fit 285s). So, my front left is an eibach extreme travel 6" "barrel" spring. Eibach 0600.2530.0350.

Front left was tricky because the extreme travel line only comes in 50 lb increments.... but then I realized that GC sells and extreme travel spring (made by eibach, though they don't use that branding-- but visibly the same thing and I confirmed that they were with GC) in 6" 375 lb. Ground control GC150.64.66.

Both fronts are either 65mm or 2.5", I forget which (and am pretty sure most spring companies use the same thing here anyway. To fit that on the H&R shock body, I'm using Ohlins spring perches-- same thread pitch, so it's plug and play. Still using the H&R lock ring, because it's free.

Rear left is a TCK 700 lb beehive from my old TCK coilovers. TCK TKE 360 700 R.

Right rear is a GC linear 650 lb spring... I think 6"? With some of their cones on the top side, to protect the chassis from the spring.

Both rears are sitting on the H&R rear ride height adjusters, because they're really nice-- let you adjust the height without taking the spring out, or wheel off, which makes corner balancing way easier.
      How did you get a set of Ohlin front perches with 65mm/2.5ā€ ID? Getting away from 60mm would really open up spring options.
      Last edited by duracellttu; 05-16-2021, 06:48 AM.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

How did you get a set of Ohlin from perches with 65mm/2.5ā€ ID? Getting away from 60mm would really open up spring options.
        I bought them from 3DM, and Ohlins reseller/rebuilder.
        (833) 323-1117

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I bought them from 3DM, and Ohlins reseller/rebuilder.
          (833) 323-1117
          ^ Barry at 3DM is great! Close relationship with Ɩhlins USA, including a lot of testing work on BMWs for them.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
          Slicktop, no iDrive | Ɩhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Classics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	106063

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	106062

Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Classics

That M5 is looking good! Polish up those tips

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
              2003 BMW M3 Ā· Coupe Ā· 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Good progress recently (later than I hoped, but... big undertakings this winter)...

Installed the final tube of the brake ducting, and confirm it fits without issue in all positions:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1AC64FAD-8F61-436A-97C2-B3B67617EF08_1_105_c.jpeg Views:	170 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	100623

Click image for larger version  Name:	00959F01-E74D-457B-A26C-508E1AD5808C_1_105_c.jpeg Views:	169 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	100624

Click image for larger version  Name:	5048D0F3-B3BC-41B9-A834-A226F01D5893_1_105_c.jpeg Views:	171 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	100625

I'm curious to hear what made you move away from your custom 3D printed brake ducts. I used your design to print a pair over the winter. How do you like the Hard motorsport kit, specifically the slim low profile ducting component they now have?
                Last edited by bryce2113; 06-09-2021, 07:08 PM.
                2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Originally posted by bryce2113 View Post

I'm curious to hear what made you move away from your custom 3D printed brake ducts. I used your design to print a pair over the winter. How do you like the Hard motorsport kit, specifically the slim low profile ducting component they now have?
                  The material I used didnā€™t hold up to the heat (they semi melted), and I donā€™t have access to a large enough 3D printer at my nĆ©e jobā€¦ so my hand was forced.

I kept the mounting brackets for future use, should I get access to one againā€¦

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The material I used didnā€™t hold up to the heat (they semi melted), and I donā€™t have access to a large enough 3D printer at my nĆ©e jobā€¦ so my hand was forced.

I kept the mounting brackets for future use, should I get access to one againā€¦
                    Got it, thanks! I bought an Ender 5Plus which works great. I printed the first set in high temp PLA. Going to see how those hold up. Otherwise I have some carbon infused ASA I'm going to give a go.

Build is looking sick though, kudos.
                    2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Do the pictures on the first page just not load for anyone else? They aren't showing on my computer or my phone
                      2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Yeah, I need to go through and replace them. Host went down.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I have a new obsession, and it is this tire.

If there's a company I'm a fanboy of it's Michelin, and these sound like the perfect track tire for my wants. Optimized for long life, fine to drive to/from the track, and onboard temp/pressure monitoring as well as suggestions for pressure changes for better lap times-- in an app I can run on the Avin, on track.

Fuck yes.

Ordering.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah Iā€™m pretty excited about this as well. Unfortunately I had my current set mounted before I researched the Connect functionality which requires the sensors to be installed šŸ˜‘.

Comment

Definitely going for this next time I need new track tires!

Comment

Working...
                                X