Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=240815&d=1699290405.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	240817

Epoxy is setting
    Coolest item in this picture.....S85 bed plate..

Comment

Name:	fetch?id=240815&d=1699290405.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	240817

Epoxy is setting
      Hurry up with the review already .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike RT4 View Post

Hurry up with the review already .
        Been doing a lot of work on my house under construction, so sadly the picture above is exactly how the m3 still looks.

Next time I work on it, it'll be to add some paint to areas I ground down for this that didn't end up getting epoxied over.

... Once that dries, THEN I can assemble the interior, do a deep cleaning (even with the paper I ended up making a bit of a mess) and drive the car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

How's the xtron so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
            How's the xtron so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            It’s been great, 100% reliable.

My only complaint would be that the screen is glossy instead of matte.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

It’s been great, 100%! Reliable.

My only complaint would be that the screen is glossy instead of matte.
              Good to hear! Do you have a link to the one you ordered? I think im going to try it out with apple carplay instead OEM NAV with BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                Interesting. My Avin rear doesn’t look like either of those, it has the white xtrons connectors but different layout. Does/did your microphone work for taking calls while using CarPlay? Mine’s got an incredible amount of feedback
                Bumping this since someone else brought up the xtrons
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

Bumping this since someone else brought up the xtrons
                  When I installed it, I used a 3rd party mic. Never tried it without that So, not sure my experience transfers.

That said, it works well when stationary and is pretty useless when I'm in motion. I stick an airpod in if I want to have a conversation with someone while driving.

What we really need to make the mics in these things viable is for someone to release a line in/line out box with a background sound canceling chip in it. I tried to talk Ted ( t3ddftw) into making one, as he's currently using just such a chip in the Bluebus, but couldn't sell him on the idea. I think it would actually have a pretty large audience-- basically anyone with any 3rd party heat unit in any car, using an external mic.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Good to hear! Do you have a link to the one you ordered? I think im going to try it out with apple carplay instead OEM NAV with BB.
                    https://xtrons.com/bmw-rover-mg-andr...b-rom-pe8246bl

I will add the disclaimer that I only ever use it in CarPlay mode, so don't know how happy I'd be with it if I tried to use it's native interface. It just boots into CarPlay, and I only exit if I want to use it to pull codes on my car/etc.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

https://xtrons.com/bmw-rover-mg-andr...b-rom-pe8246bl

I will add the disclaimer that I only ever use it in CarPlay mode, so don't know how happy I'd be with it if I tried to use it's native interface. It just boots into CarPlay, and I only exit if I want to use it to pull codes on my car/etc.
                      Thanks! Yup I plan to use it in CarPlay mode too. Hopefully get it in the Black Friday sales.

Comment

When I installed it, I used a 3rd party mic. Never tried it without that So, not sure my experience transfers.

That said, it works well when stationary and is pretty useless when I'm in motion. I stick an airpod in if I want to have a conversation with someone while driving.

What we really need to make the mics in these things viable is for someone to release a line in/line out box with a background sound canceling chip in it. I tried to talk Ted ( t3ddftw) into making one, as he's currently using just such a chip in the Bluebus, but couldn't sell him on the idea. I think it would actually have a pretty large audience-- basically anyone with any 3rd party heat unit in any car, using an external mic.
                        I actually traced the circuits in mine back to the processor and mic pins themself - the external mic is ONLY used with the Bluetooth module (ie: A2DP and phone connection). It switches over to an internal mic that has circuits coupling to ground and picking up noise from the throttle actuators and alternator for everything else. This is why it’s such shit while you’re driving using CarPlay. A noise isolator in front of the head unit might make a difference, and cutting and redoing the traces on the board itself would also likely to it. I started the experiment but the unit does NOT like being disassembled and reassembled. My touchscreen started to become intermittent after one of the reassemblies. A line in isolating circuit won’t do it here sadly.

I’m also using AirPods, it’s a pain in the ass, just a really poorly designed set of circuits.
                        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

I would kill for something like this and agree there would be a market for it if people knew it existed.

I would buy something like this for both my cars.

Comment

While not impossible, it would definitely be difficult to implement, requiring a string of ADCs and DACs tied to a Microsemi/Microchip ZL38002. I would need both the input from the microphone as well as the output audio from the headunit, both in digital PCM format. That, coupled with the exotic ZL38002 are a recipe for an expensive unit.

I am currently working with another dev to develop a CarPlay / Android Auto solution that keeps the Nav computer in place, uses the factory Board Monitor and Board Monitor controls and most importantly: Does not require a Video Module/TV Module, meaning it would plug and play into any factory Nav car. The unit will be Raspberry Pi based (because of course), and leverage one of the "CarLinkits" dongles. I may also take it a step further and allow it to displace/replace the Nav radio and the Nav computer so it can run standalone with just a Board Monitor -- this would make it much easier to retrofit to a Non-Nav car, for example.

-Ted
                            Last edited by t3ddftw; 11-13-2023, 07:17 PM. Reason: wordz r hard

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

While not impossible, it would definitely be difficult to implement, requiring a string of ADCs and DACs tied to a Microsemi/Microchip ZL38002. I would need both the input from the microphone as well as the output audio from the headunit, both in digital PCM format. That, coupled with the exotic ZL38002 are a recipe for an expensive unit.

I am currently working with another dev to develop a CarPlay / Android Auto solution that keeps the Nav computer in place, uses the factory Board Monitor and Board Monitor controls and most importantly: Does not require a Video Module/TV Module, meaning it would plug and play into any factory Nav car. The unit will be Raspberry Pi based (because of course), and leverage one of the "CarLinkits" dongles. I may also take it a step further and allow it to displace/replace the Nav radio and the Nav computer so it can run standalone with just a Board Monitor -- this would make it much easier to retrofit to a Non-Nav car, for example.

-Ted
                              Ted,

Im really looking forward to this. Me and Bluebus dont get along LOL

Comment

Been building a house for long time, and don't really generally feel comfortable posting pictures on the internet.

However, I think this is probably fine. I've been doing, among other stuff, all the low voltage wiring in the house. Yesterday I finally finished that (well, hardware wise) and wanted to show off the prettiest part of my ~400 hours of work... before I ugly it up with patch cables.

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	243078

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X